EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Sequential & The Prophet are back!

phaedra2008
One of the Coolest Member

australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:06 pm    Sequential & The Prophet are back! Reply with quoteBack to top

This story is a bit like a fairy tale with a happy ending Laughing

Dave Smith was instrumental in developing the MIDI interface making history in 1982 by linking for the first time two different branded synths: a Prophet 600 & a Roland Jupiter 6.
Finally a working universal digital interface was born enabling the interface of musical instruments regardless of brand.

In 1987 Sequential Circuits was sold to Yamaha & Dave Smith was not able to use his old brand names for his new line of products.

Last year Roland's founder Ikutaro Kakehashi suggested to Yamaha's president Takuya Nakata to return the Sequential name back to Dave Smith in recognition for his implementation of MIDI which is still in use toady.

To celebrate the event Dave Smith is releasing the "Sequential Prophet 6" synth, a very, very impressive machine with analog signal path, discrete VCO's amongst many things, a true masterpiece Exclamation

Check out info & a Dave Smith's intro:

http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/product/prophet-6/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m65rAfsjllw

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
REWO Records

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:05 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I will be buying one when it is available. As an owner of the Mopho and Mono Evolver keys, this is the next one from Dave Smith I would like to own.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:53 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Don't fairy tales always have a happy ending?

And they lived merrily ever after.

Not sure what to make of a four-octave keyboard and those tiny controls -- will try out one when I have the chance to, though.

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:21 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« dronescape » wrote:
Don't fairy tales always have a happy ending?
And they lived merrily ever after.

Not sure what to make of a four-octave keyboard and those tiny controls -- will try out one when I have the chance to, though.Stephen

Laughing It was just a guess, I did not read traditional fairy tales for a while and new ones coming out of Hollywood (in film format) scared me Laughing

The momentary push switches with LED's & LED displays seem the same as on the Prophet 5 as they were standard components available in hobby shops but the knobs appear to be smaller diameter.

I am not sure how much of a limitation a missing octave is, maybe connect the favorite master controller keyboard via MIDI Very Happy

Technologically this is a great synth for this century continuing the Andromeda 8 legacy and may blow away all those virtual analog synth like the Nord, Virus, etc.

While Oberheim, ARP, Moog and other early synths are faithful rebuilds Dave Smith opted for innovation merging decades of synth technologies into a new machine.

But as you say, best to wait and play (with) it

REWO Records

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:24 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't have trouble with the "missing" octave. I have a big 88 keys masterkeyboard and it has midi.

I am happy with the fact that the analogue synths are massive available again and absolutely don't care about smaller keyboards in octaves or size.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
dronescape

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:53 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

What is MIDI?

Stephen

phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:19 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« dronescape » wrote:
What is MIDI? Stephen

Very predictable...

I can appreciate sarcasm, cynicism, smart ass(ness) and other variations when used in good taste, but your constant negative take on just about every post has worn off the effect.

How about starting your own posts for a change so we can take turns picking the crap out of them...

Vignoble @ Co.
Site Admin

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:51 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« phaedra2008 » wrote:
« dronescape » wrote:
What is MIDI? Stephen

Very predictable...

I can appreciate sarcasm, cynicism, smart ass(ness) and other variations when used in good taste, but your constant negative take on just about every post has worn off the effect.

How about starting your own posts for a change so we can take turns picking the crap out of them...

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires.

https://twitter.com/emportal

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
dronescape

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:59 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« phaedra2008 » wrote:
« dronescape » wrote:
What is MIDI? Stephen

Very predictable...

This was not meant to be sarcastic -- I don't use MIDI. Never did and probably never will. My Prophet 5 has a MIDI retrofit, never use(d) it.

Why so much negativity? Had a bad breakfast?

Stephen

Alvaro

spain.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:02 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« dronescape » wrote:
Why so much negativity? Had a bad breakfast?

Stephen

What is a breakfast? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

skoulaman
Cool Member

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:13 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Very interesting the new SI and one thing is for sure, synths are still a perfect instrument for expressing our creativity and for me it doesn't matter how its done (i like MIDI to, I can't imagine without).

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:11 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

One day - if I'll ever make some (extra) money - I might buy me some fancy gear, too... Cool

VCO1

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:13 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« BruecknerAmbient » wrote:
One day - if I'll ever make some (extra) money - I might buy me some fancy gear, too... Cool

It's not about the gear, it's what you do with it.

Remember all those classic albums that we still love have been made with - compared to curent standards - very primitive and mostly very little equipment (wasn't Oxygene recorded on an 8-track with as one of it's main instruments an electronic organ...?).

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:21 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« VCO1 » wrote:
« BruecknerAmbient » wrote:

It's not about the gear, it's what you do with it.

Funny - just about three minutes ago I used almost the same words in a mail to Hollan Homes (...talking about how much more he gets out of Reason compared to me Laughing )

Then again, I think (good) tools can be an inspiration, and IF a musician has good ideas, proper equipment can certainly help to make those ideas shine...

dronescape

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:12 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« VCO1 » wrote:
[...] It's not about the gear, it's what you do with it. [...]

"Limitations force you to be creative." (Brian Eno)

Stephen

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2021 CBACK.de