EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Korg Wavestation EX programming 2013

Poll :: Do you like these patches/performances?

Yes
50%
 50%  [ 3 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Maybe later
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Don't care
33%
 33%  [ 2 ]
Go make a new CD with it!
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 6

REWO Records
One of the Coolest Member

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:57 pm    Korg Wavestation EX programming 2013 Reply with quoteBack to top

I made some new sounds on my beloved Korg Wavestation EX. Here are some videos I did of it all.

Enjoy

Wavestation EX part 1 - YouTube

part 2

part 3

and the last one

part 4

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
Alvaro

spain.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:42 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Nice sounds!

I remember I bought one Wavestation EX to Michel Huygen (Neuronium), it came with all the factory sounds, nothing had been modified! I had heard he only used presets but this was the evidence. When I played it I recognized a lot of sounds used in his records. With the exception of the D-50, the M-1 and the DX-7, it's probably the most used and "recognizable" digital synth.

Hard to program, vectorial synthesis plus no knobs, I found easier to program a SY-22 I also owned at that time, although being less powerful as a sound generator, so I kept the Yamaha and finally sold the Korg. Not a clever decison, I know.

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
REWO Records

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:04 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't think it is hard to program. There's a certain logic, but once you found that out, you can make any sound you like. I share this experience with more Wavestation users. Some of them find the M1 more to difficult to program.

thanks for the comments Smile

dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:44 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Alvaro » wrote:
[...] I remember I bought one Wavestation EX to Michel Huygen (Neuronium), it came with all the factory sounds, nothing had been modified! I had heard he only used presets but this was the evidence. [...]

I never understood why people made such a fuss about Huygen... lousy synthesiser programmer. I remember that godawful track on the Dal album which exclusively used one of the most terrible factory patches of the D50. Shoddy stuff.

I never liked the tinkly wave-sequencing stuff on the WS -- this got obnoxious rather quickly and made the WS sound so redundant and instantly recognisable. The textural sounds are so much nicer (although so full of 1990s TD connotations...).

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Eric G
Even more Cool Member

sweden.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:30 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Would you consider sharing the sysex files?

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
REWO Records

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:00 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

No. These are my sounds which I will use in my music exclusively.
sorry

Eric G
Even more Cool Member

sweden.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:24 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

No problemo.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
REWO Records

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:45 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Anyway thanks for asking. Much appreciated!

dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:40 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Nothing is more satisfying than creating ones own patches.

They bring out your musical wit, or they will make you sound like a tone-deaf psycho.

Lovely.

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
REWO Records

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 9:30 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I think creating your own patches/presets is the challenge. Anyway sometimes there are useful sounds made by others.

Today I imported some sysex sounds from the hardware Wavestation to the software one. I wasn't disappointed at all.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 9:46 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I have a Wavestation A/D, the sounds are quite crap and too new-agey sounding. I just use mine as an effects processor as that's all it's good for.
REWO Records

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 9:54 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Syn » wrote:
the sounds are quite crap and too new-agey sounding.

yes, most of them they are. And so 1992. But for making some pads it is excellent.

hhh
Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:02 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I have a Wavestation SR that I bought in 1992 and, to this day, it remains one of my favorite synths of all time. Yeah, it's a major pain to program (especially the SR), due to the endless mining in and out of labyrinthine sub-menus, but some extraordinarily beautiful sounds can be achieved with the unit, if one knows what they're doing.
Sure, some of the sounds are unquestionably dated, but many remain quite useful in the hands of an adept programmer with some time on their hands. I certainly don't possess that luxury these days, but I'll never sell mine, that's for sure. I still love it too much.

Bear in mind that programming can be made easier with a good editor/librarian program, such as Sound Quest's Midi Quest. Beats that Godforsaken tiny little LCD screen on the SR.

h

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2021 CBACK.de