EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Re-issue of Analogue Synths -> your wish for the future

Poll :: Your dream non-existing analogue synth re-issue (yet)

PPG wave 2.3
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
Korg Poly6
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Roland Jupiter
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Roland Juno
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
A polyphonic Moog
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Synthex
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Yamaha CS
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Yamaha FM synth like the DX
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
ARP 2600
45%
 45%  [ 10 ]
ARP Odysee / Soloist
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
One I forgot but is worth mentioning
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 22

dlmorley
One of the Coolest Member

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:10 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm not bothered either way with the reissues. People have tried endlessly to improve on classics and usually fail. We do have things like Solaris, Kyma, modular systems or certain softsynths etc which are taking things further, but at a certain point it all comes down to what inspires you creatively and what you do with it.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:57 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« bewoest » wrote:
Without wanting to sound too cynical I'd like to ask if no one really is waiting for a cool new kind of gear that might open completely new ways of creating sound and music instead of asking for reissues of already known or existing instruments?

Question

If you have to ask, you will never understand Smile.

But honestly, I´d rather stick with the original stuff as I´m perfectly happy with it.

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
ambientlive

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:02 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« VCO1 » wrote:
The Yamaha FM synths are digital.

PPG also

von haulshoven
Even more Cool Member

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:54 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I like digital synths.
I must have had more than 125 synths over the years, I am getting tired of buying new ones.

however the ms20 is a nice toy for not to much money.

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
Phrozenlight

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:47 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Ja Ep that ms20 is something what I have set as a target. not only because the fun to make EM, but also because it looks lovely with those patch-cords and knobs.... and the price is acceptable.

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
bewoest

lithuania.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:49 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« dronescape » wrote:
Why do people still want Fender Stratocasters, Fender Twin Reverbs, or Gibson Les Paul Goldtops? Or Volkswagen Beetles, for that matter?

Nostalgia and childhood dreams.

Stephen

This is quite frankly spoken, and it seems to me that it just hits the point. From this vantage point the unabated interest in vintage gear is understandable.

analoguekid
Even more Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:53 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

And made from proper higher quality materials that last the test of time, not slung together in some chinese factory, churning out 1000's at a time.
HiddenView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
stevepalmer

wales.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:21 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

People want VW Beetles, Fenders, Gibsons etc because they're design classics. Same with synths. I used to use a Juno in the early days of Mooch, it was a joy to play. Wouldn't mind a new one...

dronescape

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:15 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

There are two more aspects I find important.

Firstly, there are analogue instruments which are rare as hen´s teeth, hence there is a certain myth around them. Take the Buchla Music Easel, most people will never have the chance to explore an original one. Hence it seems perfectly understandable that a re-issue which is both widely available and affordable is very attractive to many. Same thing with the Korg PS series I mentioned earlier, or -- on a more common level -- the recent surge of Moog-labelled instruments.

Secondly, DAW and plug-in based virtual instruments are limitless. As a musician you are not only obliged to be in command of your instrument but, at the same time, you have to determine yourself where the limits of expression are. It is easy to get lost on an ocean of options, making music has become a hit-or-miss thing -- which can be a good thing if you want to find new ways of expression but it certainly isn´t the be-all and end-all.

That´s one of the appealing aspects about analogue synthesisers, they tend to be limited in many ways. Finding one´s way is a lot easier without the chance of getting lost, and, like Brian Eno once said, limitations force you to be creative.

Of course, you first have to find out what the limitations are.

Stephen

dronescape

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:17 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

BTW, I find it a bit strange to list the ARP Odyssey and Pro-Soloist in the same category. A fully variable analogue synth and a preset-based monophonic lead synth don´t have much in common other than the maker´s name. And which version of the Odyssey are you referring to? There´s hardly an instrument which alters its character from incarnation to incarnation as much as the Odyssey (okay, same thing with the 2600...).

Stephen

dlmorley

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:25 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I agree with what you say Stephen especially the limitations part.

bewoest

lithuania.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:30 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
...you have to determine yourself where the limits of expression are

That is exactly what I find so challenging - no matter if it is about to work with digital tools or just in general.

To be able to define the own limitations in a "creative" context is one of the most important and basic means of expression, I'd say.

So, sometimes I find it useful to have a certain piece of gear at hand that already offers me limitations as a secure framework for what I have in mind to create, and sometimes I'd rather like to define the focus of my work it on my own - which means that I have to set the limitations on my own at first as well.

Quote:
...like Brian Eno once said, limitations force you to be creative

Indeed! Smile

SynthexOne
Cool Member

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:31 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

From the synths in the list I chose of course the Synthex. But it would be really nice if the EMS VCS3 and the Synthi AKS would be re-issued.

dlmorley

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:37 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« SynthexOne » wrote:
From the synths in the list I chose of course the Synthex. But it would be really nice if the EMS VCS3 and the Synthi AKS would be re-issued.

You mean properly reissued rather than Robin Wood's 15 year waiting list!
http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2011/05/02/new-ems-synthi-a-synthesizer-shipping/

REWO Records

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:49 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

15 years? That's a life sentence in waiting.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2021 CBACK.de