EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Styx

Vignoble @ Co.
Site Admin

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:07 pm    Styx Reply with quoteBack to top

Breakthrough

Styx' seventh Album, The Grand Illusion was released on July 7, 1977 (7/7/77) and became Styx' breakthrough album, reaching Triple Platinum certification. It spawned a top-ten hit and AOR radio staple in the DeYoung-written "Come Sail Away," which reached No. 8 in 1978. Shaw's "Fooling Yourself (The Angry Young Man)" was a second radio hit, and reached No. 29 the same year. The title track also received significant airplay.

Through the late 1970s and early 1980s, the band enjoyed its greatest success. Their 1978 album Pieces of Eight found the group moving in a more straight-ahead pop-rock direction and spawned the singles "Renegade" (#16 in the U.S.) and "Blue Collar Man (Long Nights)" (#21 in the U.S.), plus a minor hit "Sing for the Day" that stopped just short of the Top Forty at No. 41.

unquote

throughout the years the abovementioned two albums have always kept their musical impact on me. Especially "The Grand Illusion" brings back fond memories. 'Fooling yourself' and in particular the brilliant synth intro in it made me buy the album in 1977. The way Styx used and played the synthesizer has always been very refreshing and a treat for the listener.

By the way does anybody here know what kind of synth was used for the intro of "Fooling Yourself"?

https://twitter.com/emportal

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
Ron
One of the Coolest Member

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:04 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I think it was a minimoog but I am not sure, they used alot of analog stuff, I still love Pieces of Eight and Crystal Ball
dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:31 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Oberheim Eight Voice, at a guess.

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Ron

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:30 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« dronescape » wrote:
Oberheim Eight Voice, at a guess.

Stephen

was thast already avalable in that time?

Vignoble @ Co.
Site Admin

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:49 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

meanwhile I did some 'research' on several other fora that referred me to the ARP Odyssey and found a cool demo here not knowing the enormous potential of this machine. It is obvious that Vangelis must have used it on his seventies and eighties work as well.

betawave
Very Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:12 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I bet it was a OB 4 voice. I know for sure they meaning Dennis did not use a Mini Moog as they where from the early days i.e. 1972/73 users of ARP gear like the Odyssey and Solina. They even used a Mellotron on Styx I and never really used tron again.

Later 1976/77 they acquired the Oberheim and its all over Grand Illusion the last great album before they became the true FM pop junk rock band of the bands later career.

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
dronescape

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:02 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Vignoble @ Co. » wrote:
meanwhile I did some 'research' on several other fora that referred me to the ARP Odyssey and found a cool demo here not knowing the enormous potential of this machine. It is obvious that Vangelis must have used it on his seventies and eighties work as well.

The synth in the picture above looks a bit like a Mk. 1/2 Odyssey (but the angle distorts its proportions a bit), and the Mk. 1 Odyssey (the white-face model) sounds awesome (Id never have thought Id like it that much). Its sound is very close to the Oberheim SEM, hence my guess.

The Eight Voice came out around 1976 (the Four Voice plus a box full of additional SEMs; the dual-keyboard monster came in 1977, I think).

Stephen

Vignoble @ Co.
Site Admin

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:51 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

As described in Wikipedia:

As a keyboardist in Styx, DeYoung was best remembered for his prominent lead synthesizer solos performed on the Oberheim synthesizer that dominated the mix with a unique tone, a key element of the Styx sound.

Vignoble @ Co.
Site Admin

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:55 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

in addition I found the following clarification

''(for Grand Illusion) Dennis had aquired a new synth called an Oberheim SEM 4 Voice, and began using it on every song, along with the Hammond B3, Arp String Ensemble, Arp Oddesy, a Fender Rhodes, and Yamaha C3 grand piano. The huge synthesizers you hear on this record are all Oberheim 4 Voice. Pieces of Eight was released in 1978, on this record, Dennis used the same synths, except he upgraded to an Oberheim 8 Voice, and bought a couple of Oberheim OBX's.''

betawave
Very Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:03 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Vignoble @ Co. » wrote:
in addition I found the following clarification

''(for Grand Illusion) Dennis had aquired a new synth called an Oberheim SEM 4 Voice, and began using it on every song, along with the Hammond B3, Arp String Ensemble, Arp Oddesy, a Fender Rhodes, and Yamaha C3 grand piano. The huge synthesizers you hear on this record are all Oberheim 4 Voice. Pieces of Eight was released in 1978, on this record, Dennis used the same synths, except he upgraded to an Oberheim 8 Voice, and bought a couple of Oberheim OBX's.''

Nice research! That OB 4 voice sound is as unmistakable as a Mini. Classic and warm. No wonder DeYoung went loco and used it all over GI and PO8.

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
dronescape

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:11 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

The Four Voice is one of the few instruments still on my wishlist.

Stephen

Vignoble @ Co.
Site Admin

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:51 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

quote:

Here's a pic of Dennis DeYoung playing his Hammond B3 while his Oberheim 8 Voice SEM synthesizer sits on top. The remaining 4 voice section can be seen behind Dennis (white synth with black knobs). The Oberheim 8 Voice SEM synth is basically the same thing as an Oberheim 4 Voice, but with 4 more SEM modules. The 4 Voice was used on the entire Grand Illusion studio recording, and the 8 Voice was added for the Grand Illusion tour, and the recording of Pieces of Eight. Dennins continued to tour with the 8 Voice until they broke up in 1983 after the Mr. Roboto tour. Not pictured in this pic are his Arp String Ensemble, Fender Rhodes, and white Yamaha C3 Grand piano. In the background are some of Chuck's Ampeg bass amps and cabs.

Ron

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:41 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I have played one a few times at a friend who also had an 8 voice, both where nice but didn't rock my boot at the time, I surly missed something!!

Because I alsways thought they used polymoog etc, glad I got updated by you guys. They are unafordable these days!!

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2021 CBACK.de