EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Software - Comes & Goes

phaedra2008
One of the Coolest Member

australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:27 pm    Software - Comes & Goes Reply with quoteBack to top

I always found it annoying how all software forces the end user to accept a disclaimer absolving it's makers from any responsibility for any problems their product may cause in use...while urging to check for updates after installation Rolling Eyes

Then come patches and bug fixes disguised under "enhancements" and when a problem crops up the end user is pointed to forums and knowledge bases for comfort finding they're not alone with problems.
Sure, it's possible to research a product upfront but then one would never buy anything eithr...

The truth is nothing ever seems to work as advertised and sold.

So, while the lack of performance has become acceptable in commercial environments, how seriously should home users take such products and how much are they worth?

In some cases they're not worth anything, take Bias, specializing in audio editing software they had a good run with Peak which was the only professional audio editor on Mac.
Peak cost around $700 and I came close to buying it last year.

Bias could not keep up with the new competition which included better and better freeware and shareware selling for a fraction of the cost.

Lucky for me, Steinberg's Wavelab 7 was ported for the Mac platform as was Adobe's Audition (which I used for years on PC starting with it's predecessor Cool Edit Pro).

The point is Bias ceased to exists from June without warning and I wonder how many unhappy people are around who may have bought their products days before they buzzed off...

Here is Bias' website welcome message:

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
VCO1

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:32 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

It sucks for all those people who bought Peak. But that's how it goes when companies go bankrupt or just decide to close their doors.

In all honesty, a $700 price tag for Peak was a bit ridiculous in this day and age. Even if it was meant to be pro-level. And it wasn't that they invested heavily in the product either. I don't think there were any substantial changes for a long, long time. So long, and thanks for all the fish.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:40 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

True, they enjoyed a monopoly and when they woke up they did too little too late and still wanted a lot of money.

The Bias product line lacked depth with Peak as the main application plus 3-4 other audio restoration tools.

phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:37 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

And a similar fate for the beautiful genQ sequencers in 2011.
These may have a longer life without support/updates but eventually changes to it's operating system will run behind the operating platforms (Win/Mac).
The Octpus & Nemo which I remember seeing in Bernd Kistenmacher's setup.

Artemi

russia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:26 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Beautiful sequencers!

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
LNerell
Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:31 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« phaedra2008 » wrote:

Peak cost around $700 and I came close to buying it last year.

Bias could not keep up with the new competition which included better and better freeware and shareware selling for a fraction of the cost. .

That $700 was for Peak and several plugins that they made, I think you could get just Peak for a lot less if I remember correctly. Also, Steve at BIAS claimed that it wasn't the competition that drove them under (although I am sure that didn't help), but it was internal issues with personal that caused them to close doors.

I've been a Peak user for 15 years (since 1.6), I will miss BIAS but I will continue to use Peak until I finally upgrade past its usability.

- Loren

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteYahoo Messenger    
phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:59 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« LNerell » wrote:

That $700 was for Peak and several plugins that they made, I think you could get just Peak for a lot less if I remember correctly. Also, Steve at BIAS claimed that it wasn't the competition that drove them under (although I am sure that didn't help), but it was internal issues with personal that caused them to close doors.

I've been a Peak user for 15 years (since 1.6), I will miss BIAS but I will continue to use Peak until I finally upgrade past its usability.

Great you got to use it for so long and a shame they could not control an internal issue leading to the company's demise.
But when the time comes, there are some good options around.

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2021 CBACK.de