EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Carsten Schnell...?

BruecknerAmbient
One of the Coolest Member

germany.gif

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 3:56 pm    Carsten Schnell...? Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi again to everybody Smile

Just some days ago, I had the idea to search for Carsten Schnell at the iTunes store and: voila! found what I had looked for (which was: his debut album "Adjust!").

But besides this I couldn't find any further information on Carsten anywhere - he doesn't seem to entertain a web page (at least not under his name...) and doesn't seem to be mentioned in any of the "usually suspicious" social networks. Maybe anyone here can give me any hint...?

By incident I found Carstens debut album in a shop where You could rent (lend? hire? borrow?) CDs in the early 90ies (when the album was up to date...). I loved it and made a copy on tape (music cassette) which has long since vanished among moving from one place of living to another...
"Adjust" contains some delightful, very restrained and disciplined, yet atmospheric tracks in "classic" EM mode, with just a slight hint of an addition of contemporary 90ies (club) sound. I dig most tracks as hell!

Some years later, I found another album of Carsten, but to my surprise (and big disappointment) it contained uninspired new age music (the elevator type, that is...).

As I wrote in the beginning: after almost 20 years, I was finally re-listening to the whole thing, and though today the album seems (slightly) weaker to me than I remembered it, it's actually great listen - it's kinda hard to believe that this should be Carsten's only work worth listening to.

Maybe he released similar music under a project name - I'd be grateful for any hint!

Cheers + good wishes,
Michael

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Feb Birthed

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:03 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I looked and found some info on the net. It seems he just did so many New Age/EM/Prog artists had/were or are doing now. They start off with "deeper" New Age styles then drift into lighter more "watered down" sounds.
I'm going to download some of his music to get a better idea of what it's like.

There's hundreds of others that followed the same route..

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:23 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes, i fear so...like...ehm...what's the name? Something like...AH! "Orange Illusion"...or something - same thing happening...

Wink

Now, seriously: thank You!

But what was it that You found? Any link? Would be nice Smile

In any case:
Peace. And good wishes Smile

- Michael -

Feb Birthed

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:14 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Just these:

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Carsten+Schnell

http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/artist/Carsten+Schnell/a/albums.htm

http://www.bscmusic.com/en/artist_zone/125/schnell_carsten.htm

http://www.amazon.com/Carsten-Schnell/e/B000APKQ18/ref=ntt_mus_dp_pel

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adjust-Carsten-Schnell/dp/B00000ARTX/ref=ntt_mus_ep_dpi_2

I was able to listen to samples of his albums on his labels (Prudence/bsc) website and amazon.uk

Prudence may have contact info for him?

Feb Birthed

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:15 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

also:

http://www.myspace.com/carstenschnell/music

dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:16 am    Re: Carsten Schnell...? Reply with quoteBack to top

You must be hearing something I´ve never managed to hear. What am I missing?

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Feb Birthed

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:26 am    Re: Carsten Schnell...? Reply with quoteBack to top

« dronescape » wrote:

Stephen

Lol..another dime a dozen NA/EM musician?

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:28 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank You for the Links, Feb (Feb? I hope that name is OK... Wink

This link will do - MySpace was the only place I didn't look for him (because I'm kind fed up with that network recently...).

But it once used to be my main playground, and I'll try to contact him there!

Quote:

Nothing too exceptional (and also nothing too "droney", if that's what You're looking for...), just some old-school-inspired 90ies electronica with a quite disciplined approach and the (very careful and restraint) addidtion of beats (on a few tracks) that were more up to date then (1993, that is...). Nice analogue (style) sounds, nice sequencing, nice orchestral tones without overusing them, and here and there some 90ies "ethno" sample that add a slight Kitsch flavour (but also, for my taste at least, without overusing them...). Carsten for shure was (is?) a good musician, but certainly not a "pioneer" or something. I'm looking for him more for personal (sentimental?) reasons than anything else; his debut album still is good listening to me Smile

Cheers (I‘ll report if I find out any sesetional news about Carsten - like that it's just a pseudonym...Edgar Froese used...or something Wink

dronescape

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:10 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I don´t know if "Adjust!" is the only album he released back then, but the one I remember listening to (around the time I was still hanging around with the Cologne group of KLEMmers, where he also dropped by every now and then) was hideous in my ears because the rhythms didn´t work -- out of sync with the other rhythmic stuff which makes me grind my teeth --, and the sound design was terrible. But maybe that was a different album.

Stephen

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:33 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Hm...maybe I‘m dull-eard when it comes to rythm, but I have no complains as far as "Adjust" goes. And I have to admit that I really like the sound on that one (of course, what one calls "great" is "terrible" to another) Maybe if You could give me an example of "excellent" sound design according to Your taste it would be easier for me to figure whether You might have listened to "Adjust".

Anyway - it works well enough for my humble standards Wink I rather found listening to "U" (the title of the other album I bought, if I remember it correctly...) quite off-turning, not because I had musical or technical complaints, but because I couldn't stand the oversugared kind of new age sound (which means a lot for me, because I can take quite a dose of sugar AND new age when I'm in the mood to...).

Have a nice day,
- Michael -

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:20 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Well - unfortunately, the myspace link doesn‘t work: trying as i might, I always was returned to the MySpace search engine, without ever arriving at the actual profile; maybe it was deleted and still in the search engine somehow...or it‘s just another MS „glicht“ (nasty things a-happenin‘ there, it‘s a shame...).

Stephen, at this very moment I‘m giving „Adjust!“ another listen, trying to concentrate specifically on the „rythm section“ and still can‘t detect anything that seeoms out of sync to me (although what I hear is admittedly not the most catchy hot rythm I ever heatd - nothing to force You to jump up and hop around or anything...).
I suggest the following theory: back then he played a demo of this album to You, and after taking Your complaints to heart, he quantized it all; hence the title: „Adjust(-ed)“ Wink

dronescape

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:11 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

That´s probably what struck me, the usual bad rhythm programming of most EM productions, with sloppy playing being passed off as "groovy" (or how they call it). Harald Grosskopf said some very nice things about that...

Coming to think of it, it might actually have been "U" I was listening to back then. It reminded me of another contemporary of his, Christoph Kranig. Very nice guy, too, but definitely not my cup of tea musically either.

Stephen

modulator_esp

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:33 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

the myspace works here, no much on it though

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:42 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh yes. Harald "I am a Drum-Machine" Großkopf Wink You can bet that he knows how to be groovy! Funny thing, just yesterday evening I was talking with a friend about Krautrock, and for my life, I couldn't recall Harald's name ("A Momentary Lapse of Reason" as David Gilmour might put it...). And later on, I told Harald the story via FB... Yes, he's someone I certainly dig as well!

Speaking of "digging" - I just found a little time for some research and listend to two of Your tracks on Youtube ("Schwartzschild" and "Voyage to Nowhere" to be specific...). Digged that, too Smile And everything in sync as well (now, was a little hard to tell with "Schwartzschild" though Wink

And, by the way, there's another thing Your "sync" remark reminds me of; a comment a listener of my own humble attempts at EM sent me a while ago on LastFM:

"I am sorry but i really hate your music its constant and repetitive and annoying random sounds that are not even in sync with everything....if u are going to create ambient make sure u r up with the tempos with ur hooks sorry boss i am being a critic and i really hate ur music it annoys me especially the first track with that random PEW PEW sounds"

There You go - apparently I'm the wrong person to jugde the rythmic quality of music... Wink

dronescape

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 1:35 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

"Voyage to Nowhere"... puke!

There isn´t much in my life I feel embarrassed for, but this certainly belongs to the few things I´d like to see buried under a huge heap of dung. Hang on a minute, it *is* dung...

Stephen

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2021 CBACK.de