EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Soundcard

xxx440Hz
Even more Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:04 pm    Soundcard Reply with quoteBack to top

Curious to know : which sound card do you use on your computer, and are you happy about it?

How is it connected (PCI, USB, Firewire, ...)

Thanks!

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
Graham
One of the Coolest Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:55 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Alesis Multimix 16 via USB2.

Kristal Audio DAW to record multitrack digital audio.

No midi recording.

Works fine.

Could do with some better monitors as mixing is a bit hit and miss sometimes.

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
René

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 12:28 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Focusrite pro 40
phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 9:36 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I used an M Audio 410 fire wire with Win XP on a Toshiba notebook.
http://russianvoiceoversplus.com/images/M-Audio%20-%20FireWire410%20-%20SoundCard.jpg
The M audio Win drivers were not very robust, I changed to MacBookPro some 3 years ago and worked a lot better, no crashes, no unrecognized device or reinstall drivers.

Then I forgot about Windows (Vista was being rolled out) altogether.

Current system is Mac Pro tower, 2xQuad CPU's with an RME Fireface 800, a fantastic combination, top notch quality and no issues of any kind.
http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_fireface_800.php

geigertek
Very Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:40 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Behringer FCA202 Firewire audio interface. I use two of these - one for the PC and one for the laptop. Been using them for 2 years now with no problems and a great sound. Both systems use Windows XP Pro.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
Epiphany
Cool Member

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 6:50 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Digidesign Factory 003 and protools 8.x on a Intel Mac

http://www.avid.com/US/products/003-Factory

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
René

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 9:07 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Epiphany » wrote:

I had one, but was so disappointed about the hardware's sound quality. I liked the PT8.

Epiphany
Cool Member

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:47 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« René » wrote:
« Epiphany » wrote:

I had one, but was so disappointed about the hardware's sound quality. I liked the PT8.

Are you sure it was the 003 and not the 002 ? Because the general opinion about the sound quality of the 003 is above average. The new 003 preamps use discrete, bi-polar, low-noise transistors with increased dynamic range relative to the Digi 002 preamps.

For recording synthetic sounds it works rather well. I did a test in our studio with a real drum kit. I used the same mic's for recording. 1 take directly into the 003 and 1 take using our Toft ATB32 mixing desk and a customized Alesis HD24XR. That difference was clearly audible. But when we recorded some keyboards, Roland XV88, Korg Trinity, the difference was hardly noticeable.

René

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 10:42 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes it was the 003rack version. I am more impressed by my Focusrite Saffire Pro 40. but I only record hardware synths and re-routed through an electrix filter factory softsynths.
Epiphany
Cool Member

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 12:42 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Ah! the a/d unit in the 003 rack version is not the same as in the 003 factory, that would explain it.

LNerell
Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:45 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

MOTU 2408 mk3, 308, 24i audio interfaces through a 424 PCI card in my G5 Macintosh. Works great, lots of inputs and outputs, don't even use a mixer anymore.

- Loren

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteYahoo Messenger    
Ron

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:04 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Also a Motu 424 sustem with PCIe and 2 - 2408mkIII's that go to a Tascam DM4800, great stable and in this setup very versetile
qube
Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:00 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Alesis MultiMix 8 via USB feeding a pair of Alesis monitors.

Almost all my stuff is done in software so have no need for a fancy mixer/ADC

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger    
klockwerk
Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:47 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Emu 1212m PCI. I absolutely love it as it's probably the quietest, best S/N ratio piece of gear I have. This is the perfect card for a PC based home studio, on a budget or not. ADAT works nicely also.

bewoest

lithuania.gif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:36 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Graham » wrote:

No midi recording.

I already noticed several times that MIDI seems to be considered to be evil from certain people somehow.

If so, why?

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2021 CBACK.de