EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

How do you compose?

AsylumSeaker

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:37 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I tend to have a jam session first, record some different midi sequences or audio bounces.. then when I'll cut the jam up, or use the ideas from the jam, and produce the track. Sometimes I'll jam the whole thing at once, other times I'll jam one layer, then afterwards jam the others around it.
OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
Gert Emmens
Very Cool Member

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:41 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I just sit and play. The mind talks, the fingers translate.
OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger    
Ron
One of the Coolest Member

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:24 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I tend to write all notes first down on music sheets.
Then write out the arragements and structure, after that I start playing from the sheets of music and build it layer by layer like I have written it down.

Smile

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
REWO Records

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:32 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Ron » wrote:
Then write out the arragements and structure, after that I start playing from the sheets of music and build it layer by layer like I have written it down.

Smile

You lucky guy. I wish I could do that, but I can't. Sad

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
Seren

wales.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:40 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

sometimes I start with an idea and try to make sounds to fit it.

sometimes I play with sounds till I get an idea to explore further.

Sometimes I put things together at random to see what happens and if inspiration is struck....

Ron

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:04 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« REWO Records » wrote:
« Ron » wrote:

Smile

I can read any music sheet and play from it, although it will always be my interpretation and never the same thing. Smile Smile Smile

REWO Records

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:35 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Ron » wrote:
« REWO Records » wrote:
« Ron » wrote:

Smile

I can read any music sheet and play from it, although it will always be my interpretation and never the same thing. Smile Smile Smile

Man, you know how to improvise!!! I am unable to do this as well. Rolling Eyes

bewoest

lithuania.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:28 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

For me it is a very conceptual thing most of all. Even if I'd like to have extensive parts of improvisation in the music I am going to do firstly I think of which kind of "role" the improv has to play within the music.

Once the sound and the basic mood and also the technical requirements are set it usually begins to flow by it self at some time. Then there is this moment when I can start to do things just by heart and not anylonger by thinking of it. But basically I conceive something first.

Nisus
Cool Member

belgium.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:15 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I just pick some harmonies, chords and chord orders... Than I just improvise... Untill I wake up again Wink)

dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:32 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I let it happen.

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
synthnl

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:14 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Ron » wrote:

Smile

Ah so THAT is what you were doing being on the toilet so long during our last holiday Wink Rolling Eyes

www.synth.nl, www.myspace.com/synthnl and synthnl.blogspot.com

REWO Records

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:40 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Please no details, Michel Razz

joethfc

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:21 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

My latest technique has been to set up a slightly-low-passed white noise synth. Then I start masking that sound with different synths at different pitches (about one per octave), I have noatikl play notes slowly for each one in a set scale/mode. I then add more to the high end with some slowed down samples (thanks to Paulstretch taken around the house and maybe add slowed down instruments. Cake in reverb and take out some presence in the master bus, that's about it.

I normally just make little tunes in the same key and then throw them all together in a way which creates lots of new tunes; I often drop the BPM right down after recording.

Gear-wise I've used Pro Tools and Reason a lot but I'm now getting in to EnergyXT, it's nice to have VST support and more MIDI tools. I don't own any hardware synths; when I can afford a modular synth I will, the lower end of the market seems less appealing compared to VSTs.

alexharden

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:56 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm largely computer-based (Logic 9 + various commercial softsynths) but really need to use a piano or keyboard, get so stuck when just clicking things in sometimes. My process is everso intuitive but I think stems an awful lot from listening. For a uni coursework, my group have all been trying to quantify our process, I'm updating a blog http://acompositionalprocess.blogspot.com to document it, if that's at all helpful?

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
gustavojobim
Very Cool Member

brazil.gif

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:02 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

hey I wanted to bring to this table a thread I've just replied to at electro-music.com and this seems the right topic to do it.

here's my experience involving composition, music production, influences and publishing.

I don't have much time to do my music, because I have a day job and wife and kid and no home studio (just a tiny room turned into computer office) so I have to rely on careful improvisation most of the time. but I want to do more complex arrangements in the future, like I did in my debut album (Round Mi, 2003). maybe later this year.

many of my published recordings are of solo instruments. I think even that way I'm able to communicate an interesting mood, melody or harmony. often, I don't find necessary to overdub a lot of tracks to create a satisfying musical experience.

the Kluster/Cluster musicians - Conrad Schnitzler, Dieter Moebius and Hans-Joachim Roedelius - have been growing influences in how I can make music. my very recent album Connection is a tribute to Conrad and was mostly made using his methods. I used VSTs for almost all the sounds here, but also the Monotron Delay for one of the tracks and a short melodica recording stretched using Paul's Extreme Sound Stretch for the harmonic background drone in another track. a positive thing about the Schnitzler influence is not to care about elaborate concepts and just do interesting sounds and harmonies, pile them up until you're satisfied. what I get from Roedelius is to trust your inspiration and have attitude in improvising - that way you can make wonderful harmonies and melodies. Moebius teaches to embrace strange sounds, noises and rhythms that can transport the music to different places - something only electronic music can do. I think all of this can be heard in my Connection album, which I'm proud of.

I always publish my music as albums, which is an influence of the symphonic genre, my favourite kind of classical music, but also of J.M.Jarre, the first electronic musician I heard. I think the album format is still good as you can have a variety of music in a tactile package, even if it's a digital album. and nowadays you can have any length of music and call it an album, as long as you have this substantial experience. today I count 11 solo albums and several other releases.

the instrument I used mostly was the Roland XP-30, my first synth, which I got in 2000. now I have other instruments but the recent years have been extremely busy as I started my family. nowadays things are in their places so I've been able to accelerate my musicmaking again. so I released a lot of old archived recordings and this process is still ongoing. my next release will be the 10th anniversary digital edition of my debut album.

so in the last few years I bought a bunch of other synths which only now I'm beginning to work with. they are the microkorg, korg poly-800II (from the 80s), korg electribe EMX-1 (so I can start putting more rhythm and percussion in my works), korg monotron delay and monotron duo (I made a whole album just with the delay, and called it symphony no.2)

I also have a digital piano, yamaha clavinova clp-330. I always liked experimenting with the piano on the synth, but more recently I've been alternating electronic and solo piano albums. the piano really helps developing the musical senses. I'm now working on my third solo piano release, a collaboration with a photographer, which will be released for free (as it's a collaboration). It's the same format as Perpectives, one of my 2012 releases.

I always prefer to work old style using manual overdubbing, microediting, as if I was recording with tape, razor and glue. I welcome occasional errors, mistakes. usually when I try to fix those mistakes the music loses its character. I record directly to the computer, using the old soundforge 5 (still works perfectly) and occasionally other audio editors.

all of this might reflect on unprofessional sounding music sometimes, but I don't mind. I'm always doing the best I can with the circumstances of the moment. some people like the results and that makes me happy.

I don't believe in giving the music away for free, but I've been putting all my music on bandcamp. for me, that's enough for those who want to experience the music freely - and it's very easy to download the 128 kbps samples using third party software, if you really want to. I make my music available as cheap downloads and I also offer handmade physical copies for those who like that kind of thing (as I do). and I still have a few solo albums available for free, like the Conrad tribute. also, I enjoy collaborating with different artists, and all my collaborations have been free downloads.

also, I like to control all aspects of my music production. I don't need to rely on labels, cover artists, webdesigners, etc. I do all that by myself. of course this might limit my audience, but I'm more interested in building a solid work. one of the many positive things about collaborations is the opportunity to reach people that otherwise might not be aware of my music.

if anyone wants to see what this is all about, please visit my site, www.gustavojobim.com .

cheers

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2021 CBACK.de