EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

How do you compose?

corporation
Very Cool Member

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:08 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

You know, I don't think my brain will let me improvise too wildly without having at least some pre-planning or structure. I usually end up with 95% waffle and 5% good ideas. And, just as if I'm writing a book or an article, I have to then go back and re-write it, cut it down, trim out the unnecessary stuff, and get to the core of what I'm trying to do. That's just how my brain works. It does mean that it takes me ages and ages to finish a piece of music, but when I listen to my unplanned noodling I usually just think "if only I could have improved that, or cut that bit out".

The track Remaining Humanity that's on the jukebox for example, was originally a completely different track - 9 minutes long, several different sections, higher tempo, more "in your face" melodies, but I just ended up hating it. Had that been committed to CD I'd have been embarrassed to play it to people, because it resulted from an unrestrained creativity that needed reigning in. The new version is something I'm much happier with though it's barely recognisable from the original. It took about 3 weeks to compose the original version, and then 3 days (6 months later!) to completely gut it and write the new version - I usually find that the pieces I compose most quickly are the best, because it just "works".

Ironically, the first third of that track - the orchestral chord melody - was actually recorded in one take without keeping to a strict tempo before all the extra layers were added. I knew roughly what I was going to play though, so it doesn't really count as an improv. Like all things it's good to experiment with different techniques every so often, but you often end up going back to what fits naturally.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
pjtmusic
One of the Coolest Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:20 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I tend to doodle about looking for a melody and then record it on pc.
Then it can be adapted as required

Sequences are built up note by note for each track and then I run the lot of them all at the same time and tweak each one until I'm happy with how they interact with each other.

Lead lines are improvised and recorded, then I'll edit the notes to remove the bum ones and tidy it up a bit.

Pads - sometimes I play them, but mostly I program them in.

So there is no actual composition - nothing is written down - it just sort of happens over a period of time.

Sometimes I jam with the pc and record the whole lot live.

Last edited by pjtmusic on Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
Azra
Cool Member

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:49 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Having done my album using the EX7 sequencer, I'm thinking of moving on to Steinberg Cubase. Any users out there?

Didymos
Cool Member

finland.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:36 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Azra » wrote:
Having done my album using the EX7 sequencer, I'm thinking of moving on to Steinberg Cubase. Any users out there?

Yes. Highly recommended. After testing Sonar first I found using Cubase more straight forward. There's probably not that much technical differences though. The newest version 4 even has three softsynths so there is a lot to explore even without other software/gear.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
René

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:43 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I have Cubase LE which is nice.
ambientlive

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:50 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I've had Cubase and Sonar in the past but sold them.
Now I use Acid as a "tape layout table" (ok so I go back a long way).
I record the parts, then use Acid as a sort of arranging and recording tool.
I play back what I have so far, and record the next bit as it plays back.
Traditional 'studio' multitrack building of course.
I don't use midi.

René

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:04 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I use MIDI as a back, so I can re-record audio-files if they damaged. After the audio is recorded, the MIDI is on mute.
von haulshoven

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:33 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

[quote:9f45035c2a="Ren
Didymos
Cool Member

finland.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:30 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« von haulshoven » wrote:

I work this way to, sometime forget to mute and the file sounds extra loud Very Happy
and the older I get the more I forget

Forgetting to mute actually works sometimes, especially on percussion sounds as a phaser effect is created.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
Julian Ray
Cool Member

canada.gif

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:30 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I consider my "Composing" more like a "Music Painting" Smile
It's much easy for me to create something without to be bounded by the rules.

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:12 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Com... what?

Stephen

stevepalmer

wales.gif

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:38 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Tunes, Stephen - I think he means tunes...

dronescape

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:12 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh, I see... my Mini Moog never stays in tune so how was I supposed to know what a "tune" is (a button on a Prophet-5, I think... but no matter how often I press it, there´s never a tune coming out of it... must be broken, I guess).

Stephen

rasperjd
Very Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:04 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

[quote="qwave"]Playing live etc

Hi...well...if you record as I do with either a multi-track(in the 'good old days') or today with a sequencer package (Cubase et al)..you'll probably finish up with a multitude of 'tracks' (no pun intended)...now, you're (a 'generic 'you', not personally) maybe a 'solo' artiste...so tell me...how are you going to replace all those 'tracks' with 'live' musicians...say 6, 10, 12, 18, 24, 48..???? Go on...do tell...and I'll 'play' it all live...oh, and where you gonna rehearse, the Albert Hall??

A long time ago, I was told about a very famous 'rock' band, who were due to tour....they needed computers..so they were in touch with the manufacturers and said we need six computers for the road; they had them built...and threw them off the back of the lorry six times...to see if they still worked; they did. But they were a 'live' band....nuff said.

No offence intended....:O) Luv JD and Co xxx

www.johndysonmusic.com

dronescape

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:41 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« rasperjd » wrote:

A long time ago, I was told about a very famous 'rock' band, who were due to tour....they needed computers..so they were in touch with the manufacturers and said we need six computers for the road; they had them built...and threw them off the back of the lorry six times...to see if they still worked; they did.

Tom Dolby´s PPG 340/380 ended up in an elevator shaft once. Apparently, it didn´t survive.

Stephen

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2021 CBACK.de