EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Digital Mellotron

Juta Takahashi
Even more Cool Member

japan.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:36 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I think Mellotron is one of essential musical instruments.
Otherwise, it has not been lasting.
It is independent, and no other instruments substitute for it.

Mellotron simulators are very good and convenient.
So, they have been taking place of it in practical use, but they are its simulators after all.

I am sure it will last as original instrument.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Eric G
Even more Cool Member

sweden.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:42 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I have been hoping someone would make an instrument like this for years! Yes I know the Memotron, but it seemed so hopelessly expensive...

Has anyone seen a A/B comparation table including price, specs, size etc.?

Eric G
Even more Cool Member

sweden.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:45 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« phaedra2008 » wrote:
can't see anyone releasing another Epsilon in Malayisan pale.

Sadly, no...

Charles Thaxton

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:43 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« ruckzuck » wrote:
« Charles Thaxton » wrote:

The digital Mellotron will cost about 1800 dollars US...

1800, really? That's a bargain.
Where do you got this info from?

from Markus at Mellotron.com

qwave
Waldorfian

germany.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:32 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« ruckzuck » wrote:
1800, really? That's a bargain.
Where do you got this info from?

This is the official price information by the makers.
I don't think they will gain money by producing them, for this little money. Just think of the special made keyboard action alone.

"Das Plagiat ist vielleicht die aufrichtigste Form der Verehrung." Alfred Polgar (1955)

dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:25 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

It will be a lot more expensive anywhere else. Think of shipping costs, taxes, customs duties... an expensive toy.

But so is a CS80.

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Eric G
Even more Cool Member

sweden.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:54 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Just to clearify, I ment a A/B comparation between the Memotron and the Digital Mellotron?

Charles Thaxton

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:21 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Eric since you live in Sweden where Markus will be making the digital tron maybe you could contact him more easily? You could keep us updated. I'm not sure where Markus lives in Sweden though.
There is only the prototype so far but he says there will be 100 sounds onboard. The keyboard is bigger than the Memotron...probably a bit heavier (I think he said 40 lbs) but looks like real wood.The digital tron has no onboard efx but has a&b sides so 4 sounds can be called up (and their between mixes) and there are separate outputs for a&b sides. Also has the Chamberlin library which the Memotron does not.

ruckzuck
Cool Member

germany.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:36 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I had contact with Marcus and he told me, that the Digital Mellotron will also be available in a M400 (or Mark VI) Case, for the real Tron feel.

Advantages to the Memotron are:
- Marcus owns the original Mastertapes (purchase from Les Bradley), which are used for these Trons (Memotron only used samples of some Collectors Mellotron, these are 4-5th gen analog copies)
- The behaviour of the keyboard is the same as on an old Tron. Very important for an authentic feel
- 2 Extra keys (low F and F#). Tapes for these keys always existed but weren't used on old Trons.
- Library contains also Chamberlin, Octagon and Orchestron Samples
- 24bit
- lower price
- Authentic design

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
Eric G
Even more Cool Member

sweden.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:44 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks!
Oh is it made in Sweden?? Smile Then I can omit the shipping price!!
(Marcus, are you on this list?)

dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:25 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« ruckzuck » wrote:
I had contact with Marcus and he told me, that the Digital Mellotron will also be available in a M400 (or Mark VI) Case, for the real Tron feel.

Advantages to the Memotron are:
- Marcus owns the original Mastertapes (purchase from Les Bradley), which are used for these Trons (Memotron only used samples of some Collectors Mellotron, these are 4-5th gen analog copies)
- The behaviour of the keyboard is the same as on an old Tron. Very important for an authentic feel
- 2 Extra keys (low F and F#). Tapes for these keys always existed but weren't used on old Trons.
- Library contains also Chamberlin, Octagon and Orchestron Samples
- 24bit
- lower price
- Authentic design

Exactly my thoughts. Markus has access to David Keans library of sounds and original master tapes, hence I would expect his device to sound fresher and less "authentic" (tape hiss, warp and flutter etc.). Klaus always sampled existing Trons and their frames in various states of (dis)repair so the results are often coloured in a particular way.

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Eric G
Even more Cool Member

sweden.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:23 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« qwave » wrote:
Is there realy such a big market for such a digital Mellotron, now that the Manikin Memotron (I own one for years) is available with a huge and good library?

Well, a little competition never hurts. It may push the prices and motivate further development and expansions.

I think we will see a lot more of digital Mellotrons and Memotrons in time to come.

Personally I would love an instrument that is "just" a tron with instant access to the beloved sounds, and not just another sampler/rompler. Oh, I think GAS just struck me!

Last edited by Eric G on Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

qwave
Waldorfian

germany.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:23 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I think we never heard a first or second generation tape on a Tron at all. So what is wrong with the Manikin samples of real used frames? This is how a real Mellotron sounds like.
The words "clean" and "noiseless" never matched to a real Mellotron.

"Das Plagiat ist vielleicht die aufrichtigste Form der Verehrung." Alfred Polgar (1955)

Eric G
Even more Cool Member

sweden.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:29 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« qwave » wrote:
I think we never heard a first or second generation tape on a Tron at all. So what is wrong with the Manikin samples of real used frames? This is how a real Mellotron sounds like.
The words "clean" and "noiseless" never matched to a real Mellotron.

Alright, so who will first release an FX box that makes clean tron sounds sound like worn-out tapes?? Laughing

Charles Thaxton

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:55 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

It's simple really...the way tapes are made for real trons should be the way the samples are taken (from whatever generation master is used). Klaus' samples are one generation removed . And why doesn't Mellotron use first generation masters? They can be denosied and tuned after sampling them.

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2021 CBACK.de