EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Digital Mellotron

Charles Thaxton

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:24 am    Digital Mellotron Reply with quoteBack to top

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYKe7a7lc-E

http://www.mellotron.com/digital-mellotron.html

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
phaedra2008
One of the Coolest Member

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:45 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Charles,
looks cool, really a Memotron with the real name on it.
There is some purist debate regarding the the sound sources: real tapes, custom tapes, restored or un restored.
I was wondering when will the search for the originally sampled instruments start, the choirs could be an issue Laughing
The VSTi's M-Tron Pro and Sampletron sound fine to my ears and OK for studio set up.
The new Moog Taurus looks intersting, should have rolled out late last years, now it's this quarter, we'll see:
http://www.moogmusic.com/taurus/?product_id=21299&section=product
Dan.

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
qwave
Waldorfian

germany.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:29 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Is there realy such a big market for such a digital Mellotron, now that the Manikin Memotron (I own one for years) is available with a huge and good library?
And the Memotron is more a perfect recreation of a M400 mellotron then the new one.

"Das Plagiat ist vielleicht die aufrichtigste Form der Verehrung." Alfred Polgar (†1955)

phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:37 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
Is there really such a big market for such a digital Mellotron

I could not see how or why to be honest.
With such a small library of sounds, it is instantly recognisable, even a single note.
In the last few years it really copped a flogging with just about everybody using a Memotron or the VSTi's and can't see anyone releasing another Epsilon in Malayisan pale.
I like it, but commercially am not sure it will make it.

Graham

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:38 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« phaedra2008 » wrote:
can't see anyone releasing another Epsilon in Malayisan pale.

Arcane's 'The Dog Collector' is not a million miles. Smile

The digital Mellotron looks really nice.

But the key to such ventures is to get in first.

And the Memotron got in first. Smile

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
terjewi
Cool Member

norway.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:44 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« qwave » wrote:
And the Memotron is more a perfect recreation of a M400 mellotron then the new one.

Interesting. I thought Klaus Hoffmann-Hoock (which sampled the Mellotrons that made it to the Memotron) remastered and "softened up" the Memotron sounds, but I could be wrong in this. Has you compared the Memotron to a real Mellotron?
Also; how is the keyboard feel of the Memotron? On a real Mellotron you can control dynamics with the key pressure.

dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:28 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Have you ever compared a NordElectro to a real Rhodes 73 Mk. 1 Suitcase or Wurlitzer 200? Or a B3, run through two Leslie 147 cabinets, for that matter? See...

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
qwave
Waldorfian

germany.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:59 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

There is no key pressure on the Memotron.
And I haven't yet play a real Mellotron.
Only the StudioCollection sounds are cleaned. The others are just a little refurbished original mellotron frames. But you know, they are not all sounding a like anyway, due to different worn out tapes.

My remark about the more perfect recreation was about the look and features. No splitting of the keyboard. No two displays. Less additional knobs on the left hand section.

If the digital Mellotron is able to get the keyboard feeling and the special articulation by pressure, then it might be interesting for a few people. But I don't think it will sold more then 100 or maybe even 200 as the Memotron.

But developing such a thing and doing special custom made keyboard action of the digital Mellotron costs a fortune. So it is a bit risky to do this. If it had been released at the before or at the same time as the memotron, things would have been easier for them.

Only a real mechanic tape based Mellotron is a perfect mellotron. But how many of the original ones are still in fully working and adjusted order?

Question:
there are not three sounds loaded into this digital Mellotron and available with one knob to blend from one to another? At least I could not figure out how to do this by looking on the available pictures.

"Das Plagiat ist vielleicht die aufrichtigste Form der Verehrung." Alfred Polgar (†1955)

Charles Thaxton

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:21 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

The digital Mellotron will cost about 1800 dollars US, compared to 2700 for Memotron in the US. 100 onboard sounds stock...the prototype only had a few sounds in it (Markus rushed to get it to NAMM) These are 24 bit uncompressed samples...I don't know what Memotron sample rate is. As far as commercial success...he is building these on an order basis initially. There is a flash card slot which will hold an additional 200 sounds (Is there even that many sounds in the library?) How many sounds will the Memotron store onboard? The new unit looks like it will play 4 sounds at a time ...2 on the A channel and 2 on the B channel. (plus the mix setting) There will be no onboard efx.
I have an Emu E4K with the Pinder CD library which sounds superb, and also an Emu VK6 and Classic Keys which each have many good tron sounds but I want a digial tron (just because I used to own a real M400 for 25 years and the new one would be great for live use). I would love a wooden finished look, not the white. As far as real trons responding to touch sensitivity that's a myth. If you play it lightly the pads don't push the tapes into the heads properly and it sounds lke shit. And the rollers won't move the tapes. So I don't know how the whole touch-sensitive mellotron stories got started ( I speak as a 25 year veteran mellotronist)

dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:32 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I find the whole idea of a digital simulation of a Mellotron which comes in an M-400-like guise a bit vain. This is pretty much like using cardboard cut-outs in the shape of an M400 with an E4 and a master keyboard hidden inside.

If you´ve got a sampler, why bother to buy something which is infinitely more expensive and infinitely more limited? Like I said over at the modulator-esp forum, I used an M400 for the latest ['ramp] album but after the recording sessions I was glad it wasn´t mine. Better off with a decent samle library and some outboard tweaking... the rest is for train-spotting anoraks.

The only thing I find interesting about Markus Resch´s Mellotron clone is the fact that you´ve got access to the original Chamberlin sounds which are nowhere near as overused as those of the M400... which will change soon enough.

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Graham

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:21 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« dronescape » wrote:
I find the whole idea of a digital simulation of a Mellotron which comes in an M-400-like guise a bit vain. This is pretty much like using cardboard cut-outs in the shape of an M400 with an E4 and a master keyboard hidden inside.

If you´ve got a sampler, why bother to buy something which is infinitely more expensive and infinitely more limited? Like I said over at the modulator-esp forum, I used an M400 for the latest ['ramp] album but after the recording sessions I was glad it wasn´t mine. Better off with a decent samle library and some outboard tweaking... the rest is for train-spotting anoraks.

The only thing I find interesting about Markus Resch´s Mellotron clone is the fact that you´ve got access to the original Chamberlin sounds which are nowhere near as overused as those of the M400... which will change soon enough.

Stephen

Perhaps some people just want to grab an instrument, switch it on and go? I think the memotron, and now this, carry on the fine tradition of the mellotron in a reliable, "switch on and go" package without all the trials and tribulations of maintaining a real mellotron, but with the attraction of it all being housed in a discreet hardware instrument vs a "jack of all trades" software/sampler package.

I guess. Because I don't have one. And fancy the idea of the Nord wave and seeing how I can mash up that mellotron sample library first. Smile

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
Charles Thaxton

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:08 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Speaking for myself, there's nothing "vain" about it. Sure my other samplers & synths can do Mellotrons...but the E4K requires load in time which limits live application of quick sound changes to various tron or Chamberlin sounds. It has 128 meg of ram so will hold quite a few sounds in a bank but if you need more than that...tedious waiting time onstage.
The Digital tron & Memotron are the logical progression of this family of instruments. It's the instrument I wished I had in the 70s...80s...90s...when I was playing live a lot. It would be nice to have one of each actually Smile then I could free up my E4K to do other things.
The VK6 & Classic Keys trons sound good but are no match for what this new unit does (at least in the video) I thnk a MK2 style dual manual digital would be sweet, in the nice hardwood finish. (but weighing a whole lot less)
I doubt that these will sell thousands...but there certainly is a use for it in a live show. And no tape hassles. The Memotron may have been first and a good machine, but given the price differences for the amount of sounds there's only one choice-Markus' machine.

terjewi
Cool Member

norway.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:43 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks a lot for the feedback and info.
Regarding the keyboard and sounds: it all depends on the player and the idea of ideal sounds. I have played real Mellotrons, and there is indeed a keyboard possibility of dynamics, and no, it doesn´t sound like shit in my opinion. I do agree, though, that it is not as expressive as other kinds of touch-sensitive keyboards.
I also agree on the prize problem and maintenance issues with Mellotrons, as well as the overused sounds, but fuzz guitars, pounding drums and screaming vocals are also overdone, so I don´t see the problem. It is not the sounds - it is what you do with them. Mellotron sounds fits very natural into my music (Berlin school sequencer noodling), and I like it. Not everyones cup of tea, but that is all right by me.
I do appreciate all the Mellotron sounds and instruments available. Right now I only have sample sets of Mellotron sounds, and the M-Tron VSTi, but I really like to have both the Memotron, the digital new Melltron, as well as a real (as in with analog tape) Mellotron or two. Somehow I don´t have the money for that right now (please buy some more of my CDs...), so I am really following the development so I can at least start off in one end.
Thanks.

Charles Thaxton

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:58 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

hi Terje I owned and played an M400 for 25 years and I meant that the "touch response" is pretty non-existent as far as offering any benefits. If you play a real tron too lightly the pad will not push the tape into the head and the sound cuts in and out....it does not significantly affect tone or volume from pressure. It's either "on or off" sound wise. And again...play too lightly and the pinch rollers will not flow the tape properly. (what I meant by "sounding like shit") Smile
softroom
Even more Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:44 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Perhaps people like real mellotrons because they're mortal? Ever read Asimov's Bicentennial Man?

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2021 CBACK.de