EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

The music of Patrick O'Hearn

René

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:07 pm    The music of Patrick O'Hearn Reply with quoteBack to top

I have been inspired by his music since 1988 when I heard "Rivers gonna Rise".

For me one of the best bass-players out there. His search to fine excellent music never stops. I like the balance between melody, harmony and sound-effect. He only uses sound-effect when have to say something, just as in acoustic music. But hey, therefore he's a bass-player.

More info at: http://www.patrickohearn.com/index.htm

I don't really have a favourite album, I like all each in their own way.

Jon
One of the Coolest Member

norway.gif

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:09 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I agree, one of my absolute favorite artists. I have most of his albums and often check his site for new releases. Also remember to see the DVD Timeless, where his music is set to beautiful nature movies.
OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
RemoteViewing81

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:09 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Indigo just might be my favorite album. Enjoy his early work the best.
Very good driving music! Cool

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
BillBinkelman
Very Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:37 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

While I seem to be the only person who thinks this (based on the many O'Hearn threads over the years I have read), I think Metaphor is his best work, and, as someone mentioned about Indigo, it's also perfect driving music. I played it once while driving through a river valley of small towns in rural Wisconsin on a grey fall day and it was almost eerie how well the music fit with everything else.
OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
René

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:03 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« BillBinkelman » wrote:
While I seem to be the only person who thinks this (based on the many O'Hearn threads over the years I have read), I think Metaphor is his best work, and, as someone mentioned about Indigo, it's also perfect driving music. I played it once while driving through a river valley of small towns in rural Wisconsin on a grey fall day and it was almost eerie how well the music fit with everything else.

I've never been to the USA, but for me it's pure American music on its best.

cucamonga
Even more Cool Member

spain.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:15 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

...and if you want to listen something different check Frank Zappa recordings from middle-late seventies. He is there! Wink
Jon

norway.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:55 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« BillBinkelman » wrote:

And one of the tracks from Metaphor is called DRIVE... Laughing

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
BillBinkelman
Very Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:10 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Jon » wrote:
« BillBinkelman » wrote:

Right on the money! Personally, I think the opening track, "Patience, My Friend," and the sixth, "Let Truth Prevail" are the best on the CD and the latter would probably be in my top 25 songs of all time, regardless of instrumental genre (EM, new age, ambient, etc.).

BillBinkelman
Very Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:15 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« renevanderwouden » wrote:
« BillBinkelman » wrote:

I've never been to the USA, but for me it's pure American music on its best.

I know that parts of Europe are drop-dead beautiful, but I have to say the USA has some very scenic areas as well. The famous American author, the late John Steinbeck, drove all over the country and wrote a book about his journey titled "Travels with Charley") (Charley was his dog who accompanied Steinbeck on the trip). Steinbeck wrote very flatteringly of my home state of Wisconsin (where I grew up). Whether it's the rolling hills of the southeastern part of the state, the great northwoods, or the picturesque river towns on the western edge bordering the Mississippi River and the majestic bluffs there too, Wisconsin is a very pretty state to drive through (well, most of it is). It's a perfect fit for lots of different "cruising" types of EM, ambient, new age, etc.

René

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:17 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Jon » wrote:
« BillBinkelman » wrote:

I bought this CD in 1998 in a record-shop in Verona, just in that shopping street next to the famous Arena. But I did listen to it when I arrived in Tuscany. That song "Drive" does not only reflect USA skies, but also Tuscany skies.

Azra
Cool Member

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:08 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« RemoteViewing81 » wrote:
Indigo just might be my favorite album. Cool

I concur: Indigo has some excellent stuff...

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Getwired

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:50 am    I know this thread is basically dead (dormant?) BUT... Reply with quoteBack to top

Patrick is one of my all time favorite artists of any genre. I'm sure you're all aware of his iTunes only releases. (iTunes is the spawn of Satan, but since it's the only way to get these releases, bite the bullet like I did and transcode it with TuneBite or something.) If you're into listening to his stuff while you drive as I am as well, I suggest you try his "The So Flows Sessions", specifically, 'Milan to Alessio, Top Down'. Outside of the others already mentioned, try 'Trust', from 'Trust'. Now THATS driving music!

I can't wait for Patrick's new release. I hope he's able to get it out this summer, but I'm happy to wait for more quality stuff from him.

Speaking of his early stuff, has anyone heard the Group 87 material? Pretty funky electro-prog stuff from 1980; kind of reminds me of some weird cross between Eddie Jobson (Zinc), Level 42, Jan Hammer (Mahavishnu stuff), and maybe Synergy (Larry Fast is the MAN!). I actually really like the stuff, but hey, I'm special that way. I'm still looking for 'A Career in Dada Processing', as it seems to be somewhat rare, and OOP...

Starwalker

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:02 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Patrick O'Hearn is awesome, have all of his stuff, definitely IMO, Ancient Dreams, i remember buying this on cassette when it first came out, picked it up, read the interesting names of the tracks, gave it a listen and i was hooked ever since.

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
Getwired

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:06 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

If anyone here has a proper track listing of Patrick's 'Alien Cargo' soundtrack, or a high quality copy/rip of it, please PM me. Thanks!
Getwired

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:15 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Anyone else also have the 'Crying Freeman' soundtrack? What do you think? I like it and think it's pretty cool stuff, and the melodic themes (of which there are not many, but they're definitely in there) are in the style of 'Ancient Dreams'. The rest of the material is dark and moody, with interesting bits of tension-inducing percussion and metallic sounds. I'm sure it fit the movie very well. While I don't think it's his best work, I'd definitely recommend you check it out if you can find it!

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2021 CBACK.de