EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Your first time...

jegelie

belgium.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:51 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

My first encounter with EM was on a trip in Sweden, when someone (Erwin Broers - sadly I lost track of him) whistled a tune from Jarre (I believe it was Equinoxe part III) - I whistled with him, because I knew that tune from a Commodore 64 game.

That marked the beginning of a long friendship and the Entry into the World of Electronic Music.

After that came more Jarre, Vangelis, TaDream, Kitaro, and eventually Schulze.

My first Schulze was Trancefer, from the local library. At first on my walkman during the long haul towards school it was strange, weird, ... not something to listen to with ease. Brought it back very rapidly.

But it lingered. My taste for this kind of music ripened, and after a while this record, and even more Timewind, became the most played albums in my walkman.

Still today these albums strike me with awe for the shear vastness of their sounds.
Along with Robert Schroeders Galaxy Cygnus-A and Peru's Forlian, and Par Example's Pharos.

They remain my Top List.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteSkype Name    
Mac of BIOnighT
Even more Cool Member

italy.gif

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:02 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

What was your first TD?
HiddenView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
Craig Shipley
One of the Coolest Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:28 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Mac of BIOnighT » wrote:
What was your first TD?

Phaedra; it was the current release (came out in my senior year of high school). Heard it playing late one night/early one morning on the Georgetown University (in Washington DC) WGTB 90.1 on the FM dial and snagged my copy from Harmony Hut at Iverson Mall in Capitol Heights, MD (no, I don't remember the exact date or what I paid for it). Razz The school was pretty liberal with regards to what you could get away with, so I could walk down the halls with this tape playing (yes, I got LOTS of weird looks and comments, but i got the same when i played Yes, ELP or Zappa...)

I was the weird guy. Still am.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
jegelie

belgium.gif

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:48 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Mac of BIOnighT » wrote:
What was your first TD?

My first TD was both Green Desert and Hyperborea. Beautiful albums that strangely enough don't seem to fit the classic TD (Phaedra, Ricochet, White Eagle) nor the American Style TD (Optical Race, Melrose, Le Parc).

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteSkype Name    
Seren

wales.gif

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:28 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I have to admit that my First hearing of KS's Irrlicht (in 1977) was such an awesom experience that it eclipsed memories of any earlier EM album I might have had. It mighthave been Body Love Vol 2 or possibly TD's Zeit.

I had heard Hawkwind, Space Ritual, before and knew that the wierd sounds were what I was interested in.

I was very lucky, had a local independent record shop called Small Wonder that sold no pop or easy listening etc. Just great music including electronic, heavy rock, punk etc. I spoke to the owner about the noises and he directed me to a little piece of heaven. It was not long before I started working and regularly visited and spent my earnings there. Got my first TG, TD, Neu, White Noise etc albums there too.

I loved the cover of Irrlicht and the music

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
von haulshoven

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:53 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I was 15, hahahahahaha
oddentity
Even more Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:15 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

First heard TD on the John Peel show, between '71 and '72. Can't remember if he played any Schulze tho'(its a long time ago!) Was into the first wave of the prog giants at the time, King Crimson, Genesis, Floyd etc but these strange sounds coming over the radio was mesmerizing. Me and my mates would talk about at school the next day. Its funny tho' as there was people using synths before TD, i.e Kingdom Come, but its the way they used them, when phaedra was released, wow.
Happy Daze.
Rob.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
bewoest

lithuania.gif

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:57 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Artemi » wrote:
Klaus Schulze
The Dome Event (circa 1996 or so). Totally embarassed.

Hey, I've been there, too...! Can you also remember the bells of the cologne cathedral ringing accidentally along the gig of ashra, which let it became a kind of strange but nevertheless interesting performance ...?

Question Rolling Eyes

Artemi

russia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:06 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I've only heard the official album from 1993, I was not present at the concert. Never heard Ashra's performance in Cologne either, Bernhard.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
bewoest

lithuania.gif

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:42 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Artemi » wrote:
I've only heard the official album from 1993, I was not present at the concert. Never heard Ashra's performance in Cologne either, Bernhard.

Ah, sorry! Embarassed

However, at some time we should meet on a concert - instead of just listening alone at home to the recordings....
I'll invite you on a drink (or two...) Wink

Artemi

russia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:11 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I'll let you know when I'm in Germany Wink

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Paul Ellis
Cool Member

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:38 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Well I was still in grade school when Autobahn first came out, but I was so intrigued with the sound I saved up my allowance and bought it. The first side blew me away as it still does... the second side I thought was boring and never played it... After that I was buying rock albums for a few years until an ad in Creem magazine for Stratosfear intrigued me and I bought it.. for the cover art! (Not the best rule for buying music, but it worked this time.) I was so blown away that I went out and also bought "KS Mirage", JMJ Oxygene" and "T. Snowflakes are dancing" all in the same week... this time I was completely blown away by the possibilities of what the synthesizer offered, this was a whole different art form than radio songs.... Even though I'd heard Autobahn this was the moment when electronic music possibilities hit me hard... It was like painting in sound rather than songs on the radio. (Nothing wrong with those kinds of songs, but the possibilities seemed to expand exponentially after hearing it)

My first reaction to the TD, JMJ, Tomita = blown away right off the bat immediate reaction...
My first reaction to Schulze = not sure what to make of it... kind of disappointed as it didn't seem to go anywhere real fast which is what you're used to with the average rack record.... -but- There was something there intriguing enough to keep listening... then one night I -got it- and have been hooked ever since. In fact Mirage is probably my #1 most played record in my life. The best music doesn't always arrive easy to understand.

Mac of BIOnighT
Even more Cool Member

italy.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:10 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Not exactly on topic, but what you just wrote inspired me a question for everybody: which is the record(s) - meaning albums, not single tracks - you've listened to the most in your life?

Mine are: Ricochet (TD), Violator (Depeche Mode), maybe Discovery (Mike Oldfield) - the list would be longer, but I think these are the ones I've listened to more than any other.

Paul Ellis
Cool Member

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:37 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

KS-Mirage
TD Stratosfear
Beach Boys Pet Sounds
Beatles - Revolver
Al Stewart - Year Of The Cat
Ashra - NAOE
Steely Dan - Aja
Simon & Garfunkel - Bookends
Patrick O'Hearn - Ancient Dreams
JMJ - Equinoxe
Steve Roach - Structures from the Silence
Iasos - Inter-dimensional music
(Seriously! The liner notes are the worst kind of new age foo-foo, but his compositions are brilliant... OK, well, he's released a couple dogs, too.)
Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland
Yes - Fragile

(Sub-topic: Recent discoveries that will clearly be in this category over time)
The Millenium - Begin
Love - Forever Changes
The Zombies Odessey and Oracle
The Left Banke (1st)

Mac of BIOnighT
Even more Cool Member

italy.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:42 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Wow, lots of 'em Shocked

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2021 CBACK.de