EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Your first time...

cyberiad2001
Very Cool Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:25 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks Ambientlive!!! Very cool story... thanks for your time Smile

cheers,
Ami

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Eric G
Even more Cool Member

sweden.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:59 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

What album or song was the first to be heard does indeed have great importance. Look how lucky I was in the late '70:s

Carlos: SOB, 3:rd Brandenburg, my music teacher played it to us.

Schulze: Timewind and Body love 2. My sister found a review in a swedish girlie magazine (sic). Bought them both.

Jarre: Oxygene. My other sister forced me to listen.

TD: Heard Ricoshet pt 2 on swedish radio channel P3. (impossible that it should happen today).

Synergy: A radio program on P3 called "White noise and ring modulators" sent an interview with Larry Fast and played songs from "Cords" and "Electronic realizations...". Unbeleavable that should happen!

Kraftwerk: I bought "The man machine" unheard because I thought it was something completely else...

Craig Shipley
One of the Coolest Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:38 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Eric's reminiscing about his music teacher playing W. Carlos brought back a 7th grade memory. 1967 or 68, my junior high music teacher put this weird album on and told us to move however we felt while listening to it. We were bouncing around, pogoing, acting goofy for the most part, since this music wasn't anything like we heard on the radio or elsewhere. When she finally revealed the name of the album, it was "Soothing Sounds for Baby" by Raymond Scott, so this was my first real memory of hearing electronic music and by one of the pioneers of the genre. I now have all three CDs of this music in my collection, even though all of my kids are well beyond the age where this would work on them. Wink
OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
redphil

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:14 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Craig Shipley » wrote:
Saw 'em on the RELAYER tour and still have the T-shirt.
----------------
]

Ah, but does it still fit ?

Eric G
Even more Cool Member

sweden.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:13 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« redphil » wrote:
« Craig Shipley » wrote:
Saw 'em on the RELAYER tour and still have the T-shirt.
----------------
]

Ah, but does it still fit ?

Laughing

Craig Shipley

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:11 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Considering that I've lost 30lbs and converting a lot of FAT into muscle with a lot of gym time in the last three months, yes, my friends, IT DOES. Very Happy Very Happy (Another 20lbs to go at least). And my BREAKFAST IN AMERICA tour shirt fits, too. (My kids wore out my Rolling Stones 81 & Kansas 77 shirts and my PF 76 shirt has been long MIA).
OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
Vignoble @ Co.
Site Admin

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:45 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

1976 I bought Vangelis' Heaven and Hell because I loved the cover. Didn't know the music at all and did't listen it before buying. You could say it was a random purchase that changed my musical life. The same goes for TD's Rubycon and KS Timewind, initially I was blown away by their beautiful covers. Can you imagine that? The second 'shock' came when I started to listen the records. The music was not easy-listening but almost immediately caught me. Anderson descended from heaven and opened my eyes and ears on earth. This proved that angels can sing and big mr. V. can play; I was impressed and sold. Next to appear on stage : Baumann, Froese and Franke. I remember playing the disc in the dark, fully concentrating on these 'strange' sounds (at least for a 15 yr. old boy who who used to listen to The Beatles, The Doors, Deep Purple, Queen and other typical sixties and early seventies music). TD became my musical Dream, I got hooked and starting collecting their music. Finally Mr. Schulze took place on 'stage' playing Timewind, hypnotized me and electronic music took me away and still does Smile

https://twitter.com/emportal

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
Sven Hansen

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:46 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

My first time MikeOldfield , at school.
"Tubular bells" was played as an example how to create a song with different instruments.
I had a small cassetterecorder with me and i tape'd it, ( don't know if i have that recording still ) later i went to the record store to find that album.
First time Vangellis.
I heard a part from "Heaven and Hell " on a TV show "Cosmos" It got my attention. some years later i spended time to find that song, and with much listening of records, i finnally found it.
First time Jarre, Heard it in the record store when i walke'd in.
Asked "what is that music" and the owner showed it to me and i listened it on the headphone's, i was sold ! and hooked. Razz

dlmorley

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:26 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

My first experience with EM music that turned me too it (having already heard some and having been left a bit cold) was in 1981 or so.
A friend at boarding school had a friend who picked us up at 11pm and we headed out for the night to just muck around. I was sitting in the back and out of the speakers came this wonderful sequence and incredible sound for the time. Perfect moment. Driving around the Hertfordshire countryside in the UK it felt surreal. Totally new experience and the next day I went straight into town to pick up the record.
TD - Tangram.
After that, I found Aqua and Epsilon by Froese and was sold.

Mac of BIOnighT
Even more Cool Member

italy.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:35 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

My first TD was Ricochet, when I was 19 - a guy I knew recorded that for me on tape (he had lots of LP's) after I tried to explain to him about a long track I had heard one night on the radio that had mesmerized me. I didn't know what that was, but it blew me away like nothing before. Anyway, the guy gave me Ricochet and - though I'm not sure that was the track I heard on the radio - I immediately thought it was the most beautiful thing ever made, and not just in terms of music, I mean in general. That's still my opinion today.
And I still don't know for sure what that mysterious track was, but I now strongly suspect it was a TD bootleg recorded at a concert...

My first KS was Timewind - I didn't much care for the second track, but the first took me into deep and dark space, and still does...

JMJ - well, it is actually strange to see that it is more or less the same story for all of us. To me it was Oxygene, followed shortly afterwards by Equinoxe. Like apparently a lot of you, I still think those two albums are among the very best EM albums ever, and two of the finest albums in general ever recorded.

Kraftwerk: I liked their songs a lot when I was a child, but I truly understood their value when I grew up. The first one I remember hearing is Trans Europe Express.

First time I discovered there were electronic instruments some people made music with: an Italian cover of Pop Corn (by La Strana Societ

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
arronizlive

mexico.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:23 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Shocked So...
We can say it was J-M Jarre and "Carl Sagan"
the ones who spread EM to the World...

But it was TD and K. Schulze
the ones who got people into outer space...
Cool

Oh, well... I could say I
enjoy very much NASA's recordings
of the Voyager through the planets...
but that doesn't count...
Embarassed

Dithmar
Cool Member

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:35 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

At seven I fell in love with that strange stringsection on 10CC Im not in love. Since then I discovered Kraftwerk, JMJ, Tangerine Dream and Schulze in that order. Radioactivity, Equinoxe, White Eagle/Logos (can't even remember) and Poland or Live. Nowadays Schulze still inspires me the most.
OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
arronizlive

mexico.gif

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:15 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Dithmar » wrote:
At seven I fell in love with that strange stringsection on 10CC Im not in love...

strange "Selection" for a kid...
Laughing

But that reminded me of my first ever
instrumental piece...

I bet many here have heard of it,
it was Walter murphy's 1976 version of
the 5th of Beethoven...
http://mx.youtube.com/watch?v=ROy9wxd4xFE
to my tastes, still a great piece!
Wink

Dithmar
Cool Member

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:49 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Yeah I remember listening to that one too. The first Ludwig Van remake I fell for, was from another Walter. The soundtrack from Clockwork Orange Wink
OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
rob
Cool Member

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:01 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

ASHRA - Blackouts Didn't know any of the music at that time. Did not listen to it in the store, but bought the album because of the instruments used and what was written on the sleeve:
"This album should be heard comfortably"
My girlfriend played a taped copy in the store where she worked, confusing all the customers...

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2021 CBACK.de