EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

-Tools of the Trade-

Vignoble @ Co.
Site Admin

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:28 pm    -Tools of the Trade- Reply with quoteBack to top

There

https://twitter.com/emportal

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
Artemi
One of the Coolest Member

russia.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:38 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Interesting thoughts. However, one thing's missing. The fact, that synthesis-wise there haven't been any radically new developments in lets say 10 years. The creative heads are there and the interaction becomes (and will become) more and more intuitive but what about new, cutting-edge synthesis techniques. That could give a "sonic" jump, to go along with the "interactive" jump. So far we only have analogue, digital (FM etc), virtual digital, and a few relatively unpopular developments like granular synthesis that failed to attract the bulk of e-musicians.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Soundwave
Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:02 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Hardware wise I'd agree but new innovation in synth techniques has tended to come from software these days like the Virsyn Cube, MAX/msp and Reaktor as the complexity of these programs is often more practical to use on a large screen with a mouse than some dedicated hardware that would cost a lot more to manufacture especially with the risk of entering and trying to open up a new market which could easily be a flop like the Neuron. I think most Electronic musicians would rather spend a
OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:59 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

The Neuron didn

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
dlmorley

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:31 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Lot's of interesting points
One thing I think is overestimated is the concept of "new" synthesis or sounds.
I think music based around sound gets old quickly. What exactly is lacking in our sonic palette? I say nothing, and if it is, then it can be created with adding a few existing machines together.
I would rather focus on quality instruments and to be honest I have never found an instrument that sounds that great without processing or effecting it or mixing it with another instrument.
A DX7 with a top quality reverb or say an H3000 will sound nicer to me than the latest VSTi with a software reverb.
This is my main issue with MOST electronic music I hear these days. It is just layers of sound that hides the musician behind it. The personality is not there.
Serendipity is the word I think? Modern synths are designed for that. Twiddling and playing until you stumble across something that sound nice and then pretending it was meant all along. I can download any number of free albums full of that stuff. Luckily there is enough truly creative music around ( some of it from people here) and once again, I'd rather have a nice collection of quality music than 200gb of free music that sound ok.
Hence, I agree with Stephen that I would rather get the machines that have the quality I feel I need to make my music on rather than have all the virtual options under the sun available to me so I can do "everything".
I have yet to find a software instrument apart from Kyma that has superb sonic qualities tbh.
As a pointer, Phaedra by TD was done on pretty old instruments. The Moog had been around nearly a decade. The Mellotron for over a decade, Guitar, Organ, Piano for centuries.
It wasn't original because of the gear but it certainly sounded new.

Also, the audio quality of modern productions is often, quite dreadful. No understanding of mixing or use of effects. No real arranging of the music to let sounds breathe and fit in. The idea of unlimited tracks and never ending plugins etc.. if that is your first encounter of music making, it is easy to see why thinking out of the box has become hard. Limitations have and always will force creativity and I would rather have limited gear that is of high quality than a huge quantity of mediocre equipment.

Rant over and as always, only my opinion..

Mac of BIOnighT
Even more Cool Member

italy.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:55 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« dlmorley » wrote:
The personality is not there.
Serendipity is the word I think?

Actually, serendipity is when you find something by chance while looking for something else, I'm afraid the word you are looking for is really the first you used: personality.
If one has nothing to say, he can say it with the most expensive, glossy-sounding, amazing machines, but the result's value will be close to zero anyway. That's what's missing from most music today, the instruments are just instruments - means to express what you have inside. Unfortunately most people think instruments are things to make sounds.
I agree with basically all you said.

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
Artemi

russia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:02 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Means to express what you have inside...

Well said!

Phrozenlight

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:40 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
Means to express what you have inside...

well I think it is just what I do, just some weird noises inside my brain(s) .....and stomach Twisted Evil

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
Mac of BIOnighT
Even more Cool Member

italy.gif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:57 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

From the music I've heard from you, it seems to work, so just go on like this Wink
HiddenView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
Seeker_UK
Even more Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:37 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

In terms of sound quality of VSTs, as with all things, there are good ones and there are bad ones but even the bad ones can be coerced into doing something interesting (just like some 'real' synths).

Interaction with a laptop will always be less than instinctive - you're using a tool designed for wordprocessing not for making music. However, adding a damn good control surface will improve the situation no end. The fact that the USB k/b I attach to the laptop has programmable knobs means that I can tweak filters, envelopes, mixers as I play. Much like an analogue synth but staying in tune Wink

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2021 CBACK.de