EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Patrick Gleeson

BillBinkelman
Very Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:00 pm    Patrick Gleeson Reply with quoteBack to top

"Rainbow Delta" was a great EM release (1980) and I still have it on vinyl. Anyone have any idea where he went to?
OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
johnsculpture
Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:55 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Bill,

I was looking for him too recently. There's:

http://www.patrickgleeson.com/

which has just a photo and "Please check back in July!" - and I don't think they mean this July! More up to date is:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=78596661

but Rainbow Delta doesn't get a lookin, just the stuff in the Jazz world.

I also found a site with it as what looks (superficially legit) download album, but the samples sound like a really bad crackly vinyl transfer.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
BillBinkelman
Very Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:56 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for the info, John. Boy, if I could score a re-mastered CD version of Rainbow Delta, I'd pay a pretty penny for it. Oh well, time to hook up the old turntable I guess! (snap, crackle, pop, hiss, repeat) Laughing
VCO1
One of the Coolest Member

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:53 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Rainbow Delta is one of the few albums I still need to transfer to cd. Lacking time though. Sad

By the way, it was our very own Vignoble that pointed me to this album (IIRC)... back in 80-something. We've never met. And now we're working together on the EMPortal. It's a small world!

M@kz Delissen
Obscurist

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:21 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Hmmm, the soundclips on Anthology Recordings http://www.anthologyrecordings.com/release.asp?album=NLhcSlu0Xhg sound very interesting. Nice one to hunt down, but no mention of any CD, sadly...

On Gemm, there are two entries (>$26), but I'll try Ebay as well...

Obscurist

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:24 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

On Gemm, I also found out that he might be the composer of Star Wars' Cantina music. Is he?

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:58 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« M@kz Delissen » wrote:
Hmmm, the soundclips on Anthology Recordings http://www.anthologyrecordings.com/release.asp?album=NLhcSlu0Xhg sound very interesting. Nice one to hunt down, but no mention of any CD, sadly...

Do you have any experience with Anthology? What is it they're delivering? MP3's? If so, in what quality?
Do they do anything to clean up the recordings, or do you get it with all the 'original' artifacts?

M@kz Delissen
Obscurist

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:59 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« VCO1 » wrote:
« M@kz Delissen » wrote:

Do you have any experience with Anthology? What is it they're delivering? MP3's? If so, in what quality?
Do they do anything to clean up the recordings, or do you get it with all the 'original' artifacts?

I have never bought anything from them. It is sort a personal principle never to pay for a legal mp3 (even if that means that I have to miss out on some great music every now and then, like the new Altus recording and it's good cause). And not to download illegal material that is still available on it's original medium for that matter...

To be perfectly honest, I have no problem with downloading OOP material that has been willingly deleted by the (major) record companies, regardless of it's origin- legal or illegal... If they refuse to reissue them on a proper medium like CD, I refuse to pay for it, it's as simple as that. So call me a thief...I feel that I have been robbed for too long by record companies to feel any remorse. But we're getting off-topic here...

I just found Anthology Recordings during my googlesearch for Patrick Gleeson. A little survey on their webside revealed that they use 320 kb/s MP3 resolution, so that is absolutely defendable from a sound quality point of view. The Gleeson tracks however had a lot of audible "clicks" in them (at least, the snippets you can listen to prior to ordering, and I don't think the ones you pay for will be cleaned up...).

Cleaning up vinyl recordings is not just a simple matter of running the music through a program like Steinberg Clean! or any other software for that matter. Even the ludicrously expensive restoration software by Algorithmix delivers a compromise between click removal and loss of high frequencies, although Algorithmix is the best I ever heard...

The only thing you can do is try to find the best/cleanest copy you can get, use a good record cleaner, and a very good mastering turntable. Not a boot-sale leftover with a blunt beedle, but a proper record player with a good, deep tracking needle (like a vygerII shaped needle or a vdHul modified needle).

And finally some minor automated cleaning, and a lot of honest click-removal by hand. That is true vinyl restoration, but this is far too expensive...therefore, most of the commercial vinyl-to-CDr re-issues will sound rather poor... For instance: the vinyl re-issues from Fonos. They all sound rather dull because of mediocre cleaning software on a much too high setting... Their OOP CD copies sound much brighter and livelier.

Very Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:51 pm    Re: Patrick Gleeson Reply with quoteBack to top

« BillBinkelman » wrote:
"Rainbow Delta" was a great EM release (1980) and I still have it on vinyl. Anyone have any idea where he went to?

I also had this on vinyl........wow!! I used to play this on Friday night at KSBR in 1980 great synth tunes

phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:58 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Old thread, time to bump it up....
To my knowledge there was only one Cd release:
Vivaldi'sFour Seasons on Varese Sarabande 47212, released in 1980, all done on Synclavier alone. An excellent but rather short (around 35 minutes) album fully exploiting the Synclavier's capabilities.

The others are Vinyl only:

The plague Dogs OST
Star Wars
Beyond The Sun...(Holst's The Planets)
Rainbow Delta

I must admit I have not listened to these LP's for over 15 years.
So, the question remains, does anyone have any news on him?

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
ech3
Even more Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:50 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I played "Beyond The Sun" so many times I wore it out. Luckily I was able to find a few pristine copies on vinyl.

I haven't followed Gleeson's career, but a quick search shows that he released an album called "Slide" in 2007 and "Jazz Criminal" in 2008. Both sound interesting to me, I might have to pick these up. CD Baby (in the US) has them in stock and are not expensive.

Gleeson's MySpace page doesn't look like it's been updated in a while, but the last login was 8/17/09, just a few weeks ago. However, I don't know if this really is Gleeson's page or a fan page.

Apparently it's Dr. Gleeson now.

phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:49 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

ech3,
thanks for the tip,
will check out these newer releases.

dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:24 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I remember sitting in Serge Blenner

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Craig Shipley

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:51 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« dronescape » wrote:
I remember sitting in Serge Blenner

Do I dare ask where you were sitting in Serge?!? Or is he a giant robot that you can command from inside his head-shaped command post? Did you terrorize the villagers with his laser-beam eyes when you had the chance? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:04 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

He, he,
must be one of those posts truncated by server problems....
maybe it went like: sitting in Serge Blenner studio......
Laughing

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2021 CBACK.de