EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

David Parsons

Feb birth
Even more Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:47 am    David Parsons Reply with quoteBack to top

I think I have listened to one of his cds in the past but can't remember what it was or what it was like. I'm going to download some of his music but also wanted some recommendations and discussion on his music.
HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
Bert
One of the Coolest Member

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:12 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

his beautiful "Himalaya" is a good start, followed by "Dorje Ling" and "Yatra".
"Shaman" shows a more dynamic side, as does "Vajra"
Btw, there's an interview with David on my site.....

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
Feb birth
Even more Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:27 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Bert » wrote:
his beautiful "Himalaya" is a good start, followed by "Dorje Ling" and "Yatra".
"Shaman" shows a more dynamic side, as does "Vajra"
Btw, there's an interview with David on my site.....

I heard Vajra 2-3 years ago but I can't remember what it's like. I'll download those others you mentioned to see what they're like. Thanks for the suggestions.
Btw- Was David in any other projects prior to his solo stuff? The name sounds familar somehow like he may have been in a band? I'm probably mistaken. I'll check out your interview in the morning.

Bert

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:16 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

it's actually not an interview but a feature on the musician David Parsons & his music, so you'll find it elsewhere on my site.
as far as I know, David always made solo music, although he uses lots of environmental sounds from India, Tibet next to monks-chants.

solitaryzen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:13 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Himalaya is a great album. He has also done a lot of production/recording of south-east Asian music (I have the excellent Music of Cambodia box set).
BillBinkelman
Very Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:36 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I have to think that most of you here on this EM board would enjoy Shaman the most of Parson's works, owing mostly to its overt electronics and rhythms, which remind me, at least at times, of Berlin school music. Myself personally, I love Ngaio Gamelan the most because, well, obviously, I enjoy Gamelan-influenced music, e.g. Rich's Rainforest.
OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
Starwalker

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:34 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Himalaya is nice, Shaman, Inner Places, and understand his new one which is on the way to me- Surya is all electronic, cant wait to hear it.

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
Bert

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:59 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Indeed, "Surya" is nice, I just put up a review of it on my site.

David also finished two other albums last year, which he for now doesn't consider for commercial release .
I already had a listen to one of them, "Atmanaut", and must say I'm impressed by its content, which ranges from groovy world ambient (the first track "Perhatian") to beautiful, expansive textural plains of sounds, such as the almost 22-minute "Dhamek", of which the highly cinematic and immersive impact nicely continues on the following tracks.

Feb birth
Even more Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:44 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for the replies. I can better know what to look for.
Alvaro

spain.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:37 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

(A little bit late...)

My recommendations are "Yatra", 2 CDs that contains both shorts dynamic tracks and long ambient pieces; and "Himalaya" (it was my first David Parsons CD).

The CDs cover photos, specially when they show the mountains, reflect very well the feelings you experiment when you listen to his music: isolation and majesty.

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2021 CBACK.de