EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

 Serge Blenner

Post new topicReply to topic
Author Message
Feb birth
Even more Cool Member





Joined: 03 Feb 2007
Posts: 416
Location: Detroit 313


usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:45 am    Serge Blenner Reply with quoteBack to top

Does anyone else here enjoy some of his music? His music has a more classical/orchestral/avant-garde sound than many New Age musicians who have a prog background.

www.blenner.com/

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
solitaryzen
One of the Coolest Member





Joined: 20 Feb 2007
Posts: 509
Location: Melbourne, Australia



PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:53 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I love his early records - everything up to Les Architectes du Temps. Those are quite different to his later stuff though (though haven't heard all that much since then I have to say).
OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
Feb birth
Even more Cool Member





Joined: 03 Feb 2007
Posts: 416
Location: Detroit 313


usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:37 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« solitaryzen » wrote:
I love his early records - everything up to Les Architectes du Temps. Those are quite different to his later stuff though (though haven't heard all that much since then I have to say).


I'll have to listen to more of his older music. I've heard his Fracture Interne album. It is quite different from a lot of his later stuff. That album is more of an album of bare boned "poppy" dittys. In a way it reminds me a bit of a stripped down "Dazzle Ships"? Not New Age, maybe I'd call it minimalist synthpop?

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy




Age: 49
Joined: 05 Feb 2007
Posts: 4552
Location: Bobbejaanland, hèt lekkerste land!


blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:40 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

PPG rules!

Stephen

_________________
"The things you own end up owning you." (Tyler Durden -- Fight Club)

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    Happy Birthday
solitaryzen
One of the Coolest Member





Joined: 20 Feb 2007
Posts: 509
Location: Melbourne, Australia



PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:17 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes, his early/mid 80's albums (especially La Dimension Prochaine) had a very electro-pop feel (though without vocals of course). And as Stephen points out, much use of PPG sounds (which sound great to me). The earlier ones (La Vogue, Magazin Frivole) are much more raw analog sounding.
OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
Feb birth
Even more Cool Member





Joined: 03 Feb 2007
Posts: 416
Location: Detroit 313


usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:18 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« solitaryzen » wrote:
Yes, his early/mid 80's albums (especially La Dimension Prochaine) had a very electro-pop feel (though without vocals of course). And as Stephen points out, much use of PPG sounds (which sound great to me). The earlier ones (La Vogue, Magazin Frivole) are much more raw analog sounding.


I did hear much "electro-pop" on his La Dimension Prochaine album. It has it melodic moments and it is a bit "popp". Sort of in the same way some of Jarre's albums are "new age pop" But that's just what I hear.

I'll be diggin' deeper for the early stuff.

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy




Age: 49
Joined: 05 Feb 2007
Posts: 4552
Location: Bobbejaanland, hèt lekkerste land!


blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:09 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I think Serge is entirely out of place in the "New Age" bin... unfortunately that was what his music was billed as in the 1980s...

Stephen

_________________
"The things you own end up owning you." (Tyler Durden -- Fight Club)

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    Happy Birthday
Feb birth
Even more Cool Member





Joined: 03 Feb 2007
Posts: 416
Location: Detroit 313


usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:18 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« dronescape » wrote:
I think Serge is entirely out of place in the "New Age" bin... unfortunately that was what his music was billed as in the 1980s...

Stephen


Unfortunately? Do you take it as some sort of an insult that his music is known as New Age? Why? Does such a label shame it (the music)?
Or maybe you don't want to think you like New Age music?

I believe some should really change their view of what New Age music means and is.

I believe Serge is very comfortable calling his music New Age. I guess he doesn't have the "anti-na" ego.

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy




Age: 49
Joined: 05 Feb 2007
Posts: 4552
Location: Bobbejaanland, hèt lekkerste land!


blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:47 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Feb birth » wrote:
« dronescape » wrote:
I think Serge is entirely out of place in the "New Age" bin... unfortunately that was what his music was billed as in the 1980s...

Stephen


Unfortunately? Do you take it as some sort of an insult that his music is known as New Age? Why? Does such a label shame it (the music)?
Or maybe you don't want to think you like New Age music?

I believe some should really change their view of what New Age music means and is.

I believe Serge is very comfortable calling his music New Age. I guess he doesn't have the "anti-na" ego.


IMO loads of NA music that was sold through various labels in the late 1980s/early 1990s was shoddy, opportunistic stuff, both in terms of musical content and marketing value. Serge

_________________
"The things you own end up owning you." (Tyler Durden -- Fight Club)

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    Happy Birthday
Bruce
Cool Member




Age: 50
Joined: 18 Sep 2007
Posts: 88
Location: Toronto, Canada


canada.gif

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:07 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

The other big problem with the "New Age" label, and the reason why many artists wholly reject it, is that it implies a connection with the spiritual movement of the same name.
OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy




Age: 49
Joined: 05 Feb 2007
Posts: 4552
Location: Bobbejaanland, hèt lekkerste land!


blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:20 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Bruce » wrote:
The other big problem with the "New Age" label, and the reason why many artists wholly reject it, is that it implies a connection with the spiritual movement of the same name.


Exactly, although "spriritual" should be put in quotation marks... it

_________________
"The things you own end up owning you." (Tyler Durden -- Fight Club)

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    Happy Birthday
Feb birth
Even more Cool Member





Joined: 03 Feb 2007
Posts: 416
Location: Detroit 313


usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:19 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« dronescape » wrote:
« Feb birth » wrote:
« dronescape » wrote:
I think Serge is entirely out of place in the "New Age" bin... unfortunately that was what his music was billed as in the 1980s...

Stephen


Unfortunately? Do you take it as some sort of an insult that his music is known as New Age? Why? Does such a label shame it (the music)?
Or maybe you don't want to think you like New Age music?

I believe some should really change their view of what New Age music means and is.

I believe Serge is very comfortable calling his music New Age. I guess he doesn't have the "anti-na" ego.


IMO loads of NA music that was sold through various labels in the late 1980s/early 1990s was shoddy, opportunistic stuff, both in terms of musical content and marketing value. Serge

Last edited by Feb birth on Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
Feb birth
Even more Cool Member





Joined: 03 Feb 2007
Posts: 416
Location: Detroit 313


usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:27 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Bruce » wrote:
The other big problem with the "New Age" label, and the reason why many artists wholly reject it, is that it implies a connection with the spiritual movement of the same name.


But it doesn't imply a connection unless you want to try to make a connection. New Age music has been around for decades now. I think most people have figured out it's just a genre or groups of many styles of music. Just as most every other genre name is.

When I see an artists get really uptight when their music is labelled it appears to be some sort of ego thing. That or they think their music is above labelling.

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
Feb birth
Even more Cool Member





Joined: 03 Feb 2007
Posts: 416
Location: Detroit 313


usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:45 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« dronescape » wrote:
« Bruce » wrote:
The other big problem with the "New Age" label, and the reason why many artists wholly reject it, is that it implies a connection with the spiritual movement of the same name.


Exactly, although "spriritual" should be put in quotation marks... it
HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
solitaryzen
One of the Coolest Member





Joined: 20 Feb 2007
Posts: 509
Location: Melbourne, Australia



PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:18 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« dronescape » wrote:
I think Serge is entirely out of place in the "New Age" bin... unfortunately that was what his music was billed as in the 1980s...

Stephen


Agreed .. but some people feel the need for pigeon-holing (funny, I vaguely recall there has been some discussion on this topic in the past Smile ).

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
Display posts from previous:      
Post new topicReply to topic


 Jump to:   



Show permissions


© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2021 CBACK.de
Powered by Orion based on phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
FI Theme Converted by U.K. Forumimages
All times are GMT + 2 Hours