EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Serge Blenner

Feb birth
Even more Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:45 am    Serge Blenner Reply with quoteBack to top

Does anyone else here enjoy some of his music? His music has a more classical/orchestral/avant-garde sound than many New Age musicians who have a prog background.

www.blenner.com/

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
solitaryzen
One of the Coolest Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:53 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I love his early records - everything up to Les Architectes du Temps. Those are quite different to his later stuff though (though haven't heard all that much since then I have to say).
OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
Feb birth
Even more Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:37 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« solitaryzen » wrote:
I love his early records - everything up to Les Architectes du Temps. Those are quite different to his later stuff though (though haven't heard all that much since then I have to say).

I'll have to listen to more of his older music. I've heard his Fracture Interne album. It is quite different from a lot of his later stuff. That album is more of an album of bare boned "poppy" dittys. In a way it reminds me a bit of a stripped down "Dazzle Ships"? Not New Age, maybe I'd call it minimalist synthpop?

dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:40 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

PPG rules!

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    Happy Birthday
solitaryzen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:17 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes, his early/mid 80's albums (especially La Dimension Prochaine) had a very electro-pop feel (though without vocals of course). And as Stephen points out, much use of PPG sounds (which sound great to me). The earlier ones (La Vogue, Magazin Frivole) are much more raw analog sounding.
Feb birth
Even more Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:18 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« solitaryzen » wrote:
Yes, his early/mid 80's albums (especially La Dimension Prochaine) had a very electro-pop feel (though without vocals of course). And as Stephen points out, much use of PPG sounds (which sound great to me). The earlier ones (La Vogue, Magazin Frivole) are much more raw analog sounding.

I did hear much "electro-pop" on his La Dimension Prochaine album. It has it melodic moments and it is a bit "popp". Sort of in the same way some of Jarre's albums are "new age pop" But that's just what I hear.

I'll be diggin' deeper for the early stuff.

dronescape

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:09 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I think Serge is entirely out of place in the "New Age" bin... unfortunately that was what his music was billed as in the 1980s...

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    Happy Birthday
Feb birth
Even more Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:18 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« dronescape » wrote:
I think Serge is entirely out of place in the "New Age" bin... unfortunately that was what his music was billed as in the 1980s...

Stephen

Unfortunately? Do you take it as some sort of an insult that his music is known as New Age? Why? Does such a label shame it (the music)?
Or maybe you don't want to think you like New Age music?

I believe some should really change their view of what New Age music means and is.

I believe Serge is very comfortable calling his music New Age. I guess he doesn't have the "anti-na" ego.

dronescape

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:47 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Feb birth » wrote:
« dronescape » wrote:

Stephen

Unfortunately? Do you take it as some sort of an insult that his music is known as New Age? Why? Does such a label shame it (the music)?

I believe some should really change their view of what New Age music means and is.

I believe Serge is very comfortable calling his music New Age. I guess he doesn't have the "anti-na" ego.

IMO loads of NA music that was sold through various labels in the late 1980s/early 1990s was shoddy, opportunistic stuff, both in terms of musical content and marketing value. Serge

Bruce
Cool Member

canada.gif

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:07 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

The other big problem with the "New Age" label, and the reason why many artists wholly reject it, is that it implies a connection with the spiritual movement of the same name.
dronescape

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:20 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Bruce » wrote:
The other big problem with the "New Age" label, and the reason why many artists wholly reject it, is that it implies a connection with the spiritual movement of the same name.

Exactly, although "spriritual" should be put in quotation marks... it

Feb birth
Even more Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:19 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« dronescape » wrote:
« Feb birth » wrote:
« dronescape » wrote:

Stephen

IMO loads of NA music that was sold through various labels in the late 1980s/early 1990s was shoddy, opportunistic stuff, both in terms of musical content and marketing value. Serge

Last edited by Feb birth on Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total

Feb birth
Even more Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:27 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Bruce » wrote:

But it doesn't imply a connection unless you want to try to make a connection. New Age music has been around for decades now. I think most people have figured out it's just a genre or groups of many styles of music. Just as most every other genre name is.

When I see an artists get really uptight when their music is labelled it appears to be some sort of ego thing. That or they think their music is above labelling.

Feb birth
Even more Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:45 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« dronescape » wrote:
« Bruce » wrote:

Exactly, although "spriritual" should be put in quotation marks... it
solitaryzen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:18 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« dronescape » wrote:

Stephen

Agreed .. but some people feel the need for pigeon-holing (funny, I vaguely recall there has been some discussion on this topic in the past Smile ).

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2021 CBACK.de