EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

- Is the Magic lost ? -

Tropylium
Cool Member

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:34 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Sensory overload?
Heck yes, I've got a huge pile of 70s stuff alone I need to look into but haven't had the time to do so yet.

End of history?
The history of the so-called fine arts leads me to believe that music indeed has come to its "end". Back in the 1850s thru 1950s, new and groundbreiking genres (symbolism, impressionism, fauvism, surrealism, cubism, suprematism etc etc.) were invented almost yearly. But who can name a major art genre that has emerged since then?? Nobody outside of art historians, that's who, and genres only kno'n to them likely do not deserve to be called "major". After pop art and abstract expressionism, there's just about nowhere left to go

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:26 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

No. The magic isn't lost.
Artemi
One of the Coolest Member

russia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:07 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Tropylium » wrote:
Sensory overload?
Heck yes, I've got a huge pile of 70s stuff alone I need to look into but haven't had the time to do so yet.

End of history?
The history of the so-called fine arts leads me to believe that music indeed has come to its "end". Back in the 1850s thru 1950s, new and groundbreiking genres (symbolism, impressionism, fauvism, surrealism, cubism, suprematism etc etc.) were invented almost yearly. But who can name a major art genre that has emerged since then?? Nobody outside of art historians, that's who, and genres only kno'n to them likely do not deserve to be called "major". After pop art and abstract expressionism, there's just about nowhere left to go

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Feb birth
Even more Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:12 am    Re: - Is the Magic lost ? - Reply with quoteBack to top

« Vignoble @ Co. » wrote:

A synthesizer playing friend of mine once wondered why there are little or no truly amazing electronic
music around these days.
And with sensory overload comes the possible loss of magic. Your mileage way vary, but would filet mignon still
taste great if you ate it every day for 18 years ?

And - if you are a little saturated, what can be done about it ?

I eat everyday but I try to add variety to my meals. I try to do the same with my music consuption. Do you do the same or do you listen to mostly similar kinds of music? Are you speaking more in the terms of "EM/New Age" styles of music?

I take a break from music from time to time. In life, different things come my way so I may put in more time doing other things other than listening to music.
I haven't bought much music in the last 2 years. But for the 5 years prior to that I bought hundreds of cds, lps, 12"s, tapes. I started spending that money on other things like travelling, fine cusine, etc.

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
von haulshoven

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:25 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

you can`t always do the same or it will goes against you.
look at the big names in em they all change there style over the years, you like it or not, but I can understand that.
The real magic of the stone age sequencing is gone and the bad thing about this is that there is (for me) no replacement.

In my case I like making classic em but now and then I need to do something else and I am in a such period now as can be heard at http://www.myspace.com/126175505

Phrozenlight

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:23 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

you are correct, my style of making music is changed also during the years.
but also the time I need to create an album. some hear it others not Wink

Sonic Steve
Cool Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:12 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I think, there are alot of people, out there, looking for their, different kind of EM. They don't know which one will grab them, first, but if they don't get a chance to hear it? How will they begin to appreciate, the rest of it? Wink

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailMSN Messenger    
MarkM
Cool Member

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:23 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

There's some great stuff out there, but you have to look in different places to find it. Often, it will not be available on a CD or offered from a label; more than likely you will have to download it or hear it played live. Don't expect to find it from the original pioneers or their followers. There are some great musicians out there that are getting ignored because they don't sound like TD or Schulze. They don't get the play on radio or the word of mouth from forums or fans that won't accept anything but the traditional sound.

I think there's a lot of new music around that's exciting and pushing the envelope. It's just not in the format that tradionalists are interested in. In the last 10 years the voice of rhythm has evolved by artists like Squarepusher, Richard Devine, Aphex Twin, etc. Many softsynths and beatboxes such as the MPC series have ushered in a new way of playing and composing. The keyboard and step sequencer are now options. In its day the Moog modular system and its step sequencer seemed new and refreshing. TD/Schulze embraced that sound and developed a genre that is still loved and emulated by many. After many decades I'm finding that sound to be predictable. I'm finding some of the Live PAs are coming up with some interesting tracks that inspire me. Although, most of their work is focussed on the dance markets, I think their approaches are refreshing.

There's magic out there, but you may have to look outside the box.

Phrozenlight

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:49 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« MarkM » wrote:
....... Although, most of their work is focussed on the dance markets, ........

this is exactly the reason why I do not like most modern (and old) EM groups Wink

MarkM
Cool Member

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:05 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

My point is that you can utilize their approach and use it in other ways. It doesn't have to be for dance music. For example: Ableton Live, a mainstay software for PAs, can be applied to ambient for some startling sounds. It's thought of by many as a sequencer or loop player, but with a knob laden controller, it becomes an instrument in its own right. It can be a break from or used in tandem with traditional 12 note scales normally played via a keyboard or step sequencer.

I see the future of EM to be positive and innovative. The tools are there, and new ones are being produced all the time.

Phrozenlight

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:57 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« MarkM » wrote:
My point is that you can utilize their approach and use it in other ways. It doesn't have to be for dance music. For example: Ableton Live, a mainstay software for PAs, can be applied to ambient for some startling sounds. It's thought of by many as a sequencer or loop player, but with a knob laden controller, it becomes an instrument in its own right. It can be a break from or used in tandem with traditional 12 note scales normally played via a keyboard or step sequencer.

I see the future of EM to be positive and innovative. The tools are there, and new ones are being produced all the time.

Very Happy EM has indeed a future but get it a chance by the listeners? I hope so

Mach die Fliege
Very Cool Member

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:08 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Phrozenlight » wrote:
« MarkM » wrote:

Very Happy EM has indeed a future but get it a chance by the listeners? I hope so

If the listeners are open minded I think it will.

dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:08 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Magic gets lost as soon as everybody knows the trick...

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Phrozenlight

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:05 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« dronescape » wrote:
Magic gets lost as soon as everybody knows the trick...

Stephen

I do not know the trick, what is it?
pushing a button?? power on or off?

Magic is always more then only a trick Wink

solitaryzen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:35 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« MarkM » wrote:
There's some great stuff out there, but you have to look in different places to find it. Often, it will not be available on a CD or offered from a label; more than likely you will have to download it or hear it played live. Don't expect to find it from the original pioneers or their followers. There are some great musicians out there that are getting ignored because they don't sound like TD or Schulze. They don't get the play on radio or the word of mouth from forums or fans that won't accept anything but the traditional sound.

I think there's a lot of new music around that's exciting and pushing the envelope. It's just not in the format that tradionalists are interested in. In the last 10 years the voice of rhythm has evolved by artists like Squarepusher, Richard Devine, Aphex Twin, etc. Many softsynths and beatboxes such as the MPC series have ushered in a new way of playing and composing. The keyboard and step sequencer are now options. In its day the Moog modular system and its step sequencer seemed new and refreshing. TD/Schulze embraced that sound and developed a genre that is still loved and emulated by many. After many decades I'm finding that sound to be predictable. I'm finding some of the Live PAs are coming up with some interesting tracks that inspire me. Although, most of their work is focussed on the dance markets, I think their approaches are refreshing.

There's magic out there, but you may have to look outside the box.

Totally agree with this.

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2021 CBACK.de