EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

-Marvel at the Rainbow-

Vignoble @ Co.
Site Admin

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:55 pm    -Marvel at the Rainbow- Reply with quoteBack to top

https://twitter.com/emportal

Last edited by Vignoble @ Co. on Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:41 am; edited 2 times in total

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
pjtmusic
One of the Coolest Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:24 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

One of the best 'EM' concerts I ever went to was a string quartet, whose name I have forgotten with time. There was a cellist, violist and two violins and a PA Cool At the mixing desk was a chap with a tape deck and load of FX units and they played interpretations of the works of Steve Reich mixed in with found sounds, it was loud and experimental and not a synth in sight, it was electronic music though, as the sounds produced were not natural string instrument sounds.

With regard to Rainbows, artistic people tend to find wonder in all sorts of things that many people don't even look at.

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
Artemi

russia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:28 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Great article, Mac! Well said! I had good time reading it.

Smile

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Mac of BIOnighT
Even more Cool Member

italy.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:21 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks Artemi Smile A bit too long, I know, but couldn't squeeze any more Sad

pjtmusic, that's right, it's matter of approach to music Smile

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
M@kz Delissen
Obscurist

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:02 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Some very good thoughts there, Mac! I find myself in the fortunate position in which have reclaimed my right to marvel at rainbows. And beautiful sunsets, and early birds singing on a summer morning shortly before dusk. O, and my almost 4 year old daughter growing up...that's actually one of the best marvels...

When more people would stop to marvel at something every now and then, the world might be a better place.

Not because of the dangerously close to new-age "wake up and actually smell the roses" paradigm, not even because of the far beyond soft-focus and violins sentiment that some less philosophically inclined fellow-earthlings may suspect beneath the surface of your excellent piece, but because this world seems to go faster and faster every day and a lot of people can't keep up with it anymore...

Just step out of that merry-go-round every now and then, and take a deep breath. Look around you and discover new or long forgotten things...

We definitely need more rainbows!

Cool Member

norway.gif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:03 pm    Re: "Marvel at the Rainbow" Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Mac,
Very good article. Good thoughts, and to the point; it is not to make the best music, but to make music that matters.
When I feel a bit saddened by the fact that much good EM has already been made, I think about the composer J.S. Bach; he was the last Baroque composer, but he was probably the best.

Terje Winther

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
Phrozenlight

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:32 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

good story,

every rainbow is a wonder, and when you look good, they are always different Wink

and yes I am still trying to find the pot with gold at the end of the rainbow. Shocked

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
Mac of BIOnighT
Even more Cool Member

italy.gif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:39 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« M@kz Delissen » wrote:
I find myself in the fortunate position in which have reclaimed my right to marvel at rainbows.

Yep, me too, even if that means watching them with an empty stomach, sometimes Wink

« M@kz Delissen » wrote:
O, and my almost 4 year old daughter growing up...that's actually one of the best marvels...

I don't have children, but I guess that must be quite a wonder indeed Smile

« M@kz Delissen » wrote:
When more people would stop to marvel at something every now and then, the world might be a better place.

Exactly Smile

« M@kz Delissen » wrote:
but because this world seems to go faster and faster every day and a lot of people can't keep up with it anymore...

Right, and that is so dangerous... I think we're headed for a nervous breakdown on a global scale unless we learn to slow down now and then. But that can only start from the individuals...

« terjewi » wrote:
it is not to make the best music, but to make music that matters.

With heart and feelings, and I think that applies to every aspect of life. I think everybody has learned far too well to adjust to society's expectations instead of thinking of themselves as individuals, unique and with the right to be so...

« terjewi » wrote:
When I feel a bit saddened by the fact that much good EM has already been made, I think about the composer J.S. Bach; he was the last Baroque composer, but he was probably the best.

Nice thought, I'll keep it in mind Very Happy

« Phrozenlight » wrote:
every rainbow is a wonder, and when you look good, they are always different

Yes, they all may look the same, but each one is unique. That's what we all should remember about ourselves, too Smile

« Phrozenlight » wrote:
and yes I am still trying to find the pot with gold at the end of the rainbow.

Tell me about it Rolling Eyes I guess I'm too busy looking at their beauty to even remember to look for the gold Wink

Seeker_UK
Even more Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:18 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Mac of BIOnighT » wrote:
« terjewi » wrote:
it is not to make the best music, but to make music that matters.

With heart and feelings, and I think that applies to every aspect of life.

And then there's nothing worse than creating a piece of music that means a lot to you after you've pured so much into it to have some bitter and poisonous individual put your efforts down. Evil or Very Mad

Russell Storey
Even more Cool Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:35 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you Mac for a very good article i shall try to check out more rainbows,we recently had an eclipse here and i always enjoy watching those for the same sort of reasons.
I work for a govt dept and when they rave on about the corporate vision and equivelent buzzwords i look at the photo's of my family on my desk and know who im really working for, the job just helps me do it.
People still climb Everest because its there even though they can't be first they are still driven to achive something.
I compose to achive something that has meaning to me if others enjoy it thats a bonus
but most of all its fun.

Mac of BIOnighT
Even more Cool Member

italy.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:10 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Seeker_UK » wrote:

And then there's nothing worse than creating a piece of music that means a lot to you after you've pured so much into it to have some bitter and poisonous individual put your efforts down. Evil or Very Mad

As I wrote once on the previous incarnation of the forum, I think that one should only comment on albums he likes; after all, we all do this out of passion, none of us gets rich, so feelings are all we get from this "job".
So where the Backstreet Boys can just ignore a negative comment and just go out and spend another milion bucks, as they're in the biz for that reason only, people like us do this mainly to share what we have inside (among other reasons, in varying proportions according to the person), so no need to be nasty when you can simply not say anything...
Unless, of course, the reviewer feels he really has to warn the listener about the content of an album... Like, for example, if the musician writes on the cover that his music is in the vein of Mike Oldfield and the music actually sounds like Britney Spears or something, or if the recording quality is so low that the price becomes eccessive, etc...

« Russell Storey » wrote:
Thank you Mac for a very good article

Thank you and all the others for reading it Smile

i shall try to check out more rainbows,we recently had an eclipse here and i always enjoy watching those for the same sort of reasons.

I watched both the solar eclipse a few years ago and the moon eclipse recently with my Pard FaBIO, the other half of BIOnighT, absolutely beautiful! (the eclipses, I mean, not my Pard... Wink )

I work for a govt dept and when they rave on about the corporate vision and equivelent buzzwords i look at the photo's of my family on my desk and know who im really working for, the job just helps me do it.

OK, I'm probably stupid, but this image really moved me... Thanks for sharing it Smile

Seeker_UK
Even more Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:03 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Mac of BIOnighT » wrote:
« Seeker_UK » wrote:

As I wrote once on the previous incarnation of the forum, I think that one should only comment on albums he likes; after all, we all do this out of passion, none of us gets rich...
[/quote]

I don't agree with that Mac, there is nothing wrong with people reviewing a piece of music. It's just the way that some do it I disagree with and find destructive in the extreme. If it doesn't float your boat, fine, but if you need to say something (and some people seem to have a pathological need to type Smile ) be objective and, dare I suggest, constructive.

Nothing wrong with saying:

"I played your track but didn't like it; it did nothing for me, it needed a stronger melody." ?

But some 'reviewers' who frequent some of these forums wouldn't / couldn't say that. What you would get is:

"Sounds like a monkey with Parkisnson's disease having his first attempt on a Bontempi"

I guess it's just another manifestation of the cynicism that eats the heart out of us and what you tackle in your article.

Phrozenlight

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:36 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I work for a govt dept and when they rave on about the corporate vision and equivelent buzzwords i look at the photo's of my family on my desk and know who im really working for, the job just helps me do it......

can I have that photo too?? maybe that helps me also Very Happy

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
synthnl

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:20 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Nice article. Thanks. I enjoyed reading it.

www.synth.nl, www.myspace.com/synthnl and synthnl.blogspot.com

Mac of BIOnighT
Even more Cool Member

italy.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:50 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks, Synthnl, glad you liked it Smile

« Seeker_UK » wrote:
"Sounds like a monkey with Parkisnson's disease having his first attempt on a Bontempi"

Wow, that's a fantastically good idea!!!! Unfortunately my Bontempi electric organ broke down a long time ago, but it shouldn't be difficult to find a second-hand one, so the biggest problem is the monkey - now, just where could I borrow a sick one from? Get ready for my next, fantastic album,"Parkeyboardist Monktempi's Flying Disk"!! Laughing Wink
I see your point, Seeker, and yes, constructive is always better than destructive...

« frozenlight » wrote:
can I have that photo too?? maybe that helps me also

Russel, I think you've got a tremendous business opportunity here - everybody will want a copy, you're gonna get filthy rich! Laughing Razz

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2021 CBACK.de