EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

RIP Constance Dembi

BruecknerAmbient
One of the Coolest Member

germany.gif

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:34 pm    RIP Constance Dembi Reply with quoteBack to top

The following was posted yesterday on Constance Dembi's Facebook page:

"Constance Demby (May 9, 1939 - March 20, 2021) multi-instrumentalist and composer.

Constance Demby, pioneering composer and musician, died peacefully on March 20 at the age of 81. Her 1986 album Novus Magnificat: Through the Stargate, is regularly listed among the most influential New Age and ambient albums of all time.

Blending classical, New Age and electronic music, Demby’s compositions have influenced many generations of composers. She performed at events with the Dalai Lama, Deepak Chopra, and Todd Rundgren, often in dramatic settings, such as the Museum of Modern Art in New York City, the Great Pyramid of Giza, and Stonehenge.

Demby performed on instruments of her own creation. Stemming from her early training as a sculptor, Demby’s most prominent innovation was the Sonic Steel Space Bass, made of sheet metal with tuned steel rods, played with mallets and a bow. The Space Bass emits a wide variety of sounds that resemble wind chimes, thunder, whale cries, and human voices.

Constance Demby was also proficient on the hammered dulcimer, tamboura, and keyboards. Her travels to India, Spain, and Portugal, experiences with sound healing, and a love of Gregorian chants influenced her unique musical style.

Stephen Hill, founder of Hearts of Space, said, “Constance Demby was gifted with an intuitive musical sense of sound and melody that moved people deeply. Beginning in experimental improvisation and contemplative acoustic music, she incorporated classical orchestration, symphonic composition, and the expanded sonic dimensions of electronic space into her music. Her 1986 "cosmic choral symphony" Novus Magnificat elevated the standards of scope and production in the early New Age genre and has become a timeless classic.

She recorded over a dozen albums, including the landmark Constance Demby at Alaron, Sacred Space Music, Set Free, Light of This World, Skies Above Skies, Aeterna, Faces of the Christ, Attunement, Spirit Trance, Sonic Immersion, Ambrosial Waves, Live in Tokyo (also on DVD) and Sanctum Sanctorum.

Constance is survived by her son Joshua Demby, grandson Jonah Demby, and nephews Bill, Dave and Christopher Eggers."

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Jon

norway.gif

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:54 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Sad news. I remember her from the 1996 Celestial Journey compilation CD.

It's Demby by the way, not Dembi.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
Alvaro

spain.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:16 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

RIP Crying or Very sad

Novus Magnificat was a total shock to my mind when I first listened to it, when I was 18. I have all her albums.

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:13 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Jon » wrote:
It's Demby by the way, not Dembi.

Oh, indeed. Embarassed

Well, it's on the start page this morning (as I just saw) and if I correct it, it will vanish from there.

Perhaps one of our admins can correct it if he reads, please...?

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:40 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Her solo albums were always a tad too sugary and new-agey to me but her Space Bass contribution to Michael Stearns' Chronos album will be with me forever.

Rest among the stars, as Cosmic Hoffmann would have said.

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2021 CBACK.de