EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

New book on Klaus Schulze, by Olaf Lux

BruecknerAmbient
One of the Coolest Member

germany.gif

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:02 pm    New book on Klaus Schulze, by Olaf Lux Reply with quoteBack to top

My good friend Olaf Lux (founder and admin of the "Deutsches Klaus Schulze Forum" group) just recently published a book on electronic music pioneer and Berlin School founding father Klaus Schulze.

https://olaflux.bandcamp.com/merch/violinen-wachsen-nicht-auf-b-umen-leben-und-werk-von-klaus-schulze

The original German version, "Violinen wachsen nicht auf Bäumen" is already available, an English version is in print at the moment and will be available before Christmas...

I had the privilege to watch this project grow over the past five years, and even lent a hand here and there (for example with the cover design), so I can assure You: for any fan of Klaus Schulze or enthusiast of the "classic" electronica of the 70s (and how it evolved), this is a great read!

To quote Olaf's promo (translation by me):

THE ULTIMATE KLAUS SCHULZE BIOGRAPHY

Finally the time has come - after almost five years of work, the German edition of my Klaus Schulze biography VIOLINEN WACHSEN NICHT AUF BÄUMEN can be ordered with immediate effect.

On more than 500 pages the life and work of one of the most important musical artists in electronic music is illuminated, from the first school band to the current (almost) early retirement. Especially the conversations with friends, colleagues and companions of Klaus have impressed me very much and partly deeply moved me, as well as the intensive occupation with the musical work both as a whole and with every single piece.

What can you expect from the book?
    Well, first of all the complete chronological discussion of Klaus' work - every album, every track, every collaboration is mentioned, illuminated and put into its temporal context. Plus background information, details and anecdotes about everything Klaus ever produced or published.

Furthermore, special topics are discussed in detail in excursions.

The extensive appendix also offers detailed film reviews of the Klaus Schulze soundtracks, as well as discography, filmography, literature references etc...

A further highlight is the collection of greetings and anecdotes, which I received from many well-known companions - let me surprise you...

P.S. Since some members of this forum already mentioned it elsewhere, I don't want to hide the fact that - on Olaf's invitation - the book comes with some KS inspired music from me, as a free bonus item (for those who purchase the book).

https://olaflux.bandcamp.com/releases

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:07 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Cover of the German edition. The one of the English edition will be in the same style, but with a different photo - all cover photos by (and with kind permission of) Guido Harari, btw.

dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:51 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I think I might be interested in the German version if the contents are a bit more comprehensive than those in the Schwinn book from the days of yore.

I'll voluntarily skip the English edition.

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:50 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« dronescape » wrote:
I think I might be interested in the German version if the contents are a bit more comprehensive than those in the Schwinn book from the days of yore.

Well. To start with, it's written by only one author (where the old book was a collection of essays from various authors, and of uneven quality). Which hopefully makes it at least more cohesive.

Then, it (obviously) covers a larger period of time (Klaus entire career so far).

It actually contains all the facts and most of the anecdotes I'm aware of - and even some details that were new to me. So in this sense, I guess it is as "complete" as possible without Klaus' (and/or KDM's) direct involvement (needless to say, these two were not interested in being involved, but well - that's their decision...).

For me personally - because I have read and heard so much about KS' since 10 or 20 years already - the book didn't offer a lot of surprises or new insights though. But of course it can hardly be blamed for my own intense investigations. I still enjoyed reading it.
For the "average fan" (if such a person does exist) I'm sure it brings a lot of interesting information.
In Your personal case - bearing in mind that You, I guess, are quite knowledgeable in this topic - the book might bring You only few new insights.

As for Olaf's writing style, he goes for a rather informal "infotainment" register. This is clearly no academic work. It's a book by a fan, for other fans.
Which also means - and this is one of the few point where I believe Olaf could have achieved better - the book is biased. While it's not as openly biased as Greg Allen's book on KS (which is OK though because it's written from a more personal perspective) Klaus' stature and position is nowhere really questioned, and critics are rather ridiculed than taken serious. Here, I think a bit more balance would have been advisable...

Another point that might be important in Your special case:
Olaf is a listener. He is NOT a synthesist, and his knowledge - as well as actually his interest - in the technical aspects of Klaus work are limited.
But he is aware of that and decided that KS synths etc. is not what he wants to discuss in the book. If You are looking for something more synth-based, it seems (from word of mouth) that Mark Jenkins recent book on KS might be more Your cup of tea...
Also, he's not a musician, nor a musicologist or a music historian. He's discussing the music strictly from a listener's perspective, which means that the book doesn't contain any in-depth musical analysis.

As I said, from a (very knowledable) fan for other fans - but within this limitation, the book in my opinion works well...

Jon

norway.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:14 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

The english version could be interesting, if it's not too expensive...

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
dronescape

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:55 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Last edited by dronescape on Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

transceive
Cool Member

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:50 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:

Not sure I'd be interested in reading anything written by Mark Jenkins, though -- simple rule of thump: Never trust anybody where Mini Moogs come tumbling down staircases... I am sure many fellow musicians from the UK could share the occasional anecdote or two about Mr. Jenkins. Just ask Duncan and Steve of RMI, for that matter.

Would you care to elaborate on the Mini Moogs tumbling down a stair case? Sounds like an interesting tale...

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:17 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Jon » wrote:
The english version could be interesting, if it's not too expensive...

For all I know, same price as the German version (39,99 €) plus shipping.
Which is, I guess, not really a steal - but printing 500 page books in small runs is no small investment, either...

« dronescape » wrote:
Thanks for these frank words.

No problem.

« dronescape » wrote:
I'm sure the anecdote of me trying to talk KS into selling me his Mellotron Mk. 5 has not found its way into the book...

Indeed! Smile Quite a pity, though. I'll urge Olaf to include an interview with You in the next edition. I guess the two of You might get along well with each other - at least you should be united in your feelings for Mr. Müller... Wink
You even come (roughly) from the same area...

« dronescape » wrote:
Honestly, I'd rather settle for something more casual and informal...

Well, in that case, it might be a fit! Wink

« transceive » wrote:
Quote:

Not sure I'd be interested in reading anything written by Mark Jenkins, though -- simple rule of thump: Never trust anybody where Mini Moogs come tumbling down staircases... I am sure many fellow musicians from the UK could share the occasional anecdote or two about Mr. Jenkins. Just ask Duncan and Steve of RMI, for that matter.

Would you care to elaborate on the Mini Moogs tumbling down a stair case? Sounds like an interesting tale...

Oh, yes please! Laughing

dronescape

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:53 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« transceive » wrote:
Quote:

All right then, here's how the story goes:

Mark Jenkins used to review electronic gadgets for various British music magazines in the 1980s, and he was supplied with plenty of instruments to be reviewed (after all, he was a knowledgable Electronic Music Performer in the ranks of Tangerine Dream, Jean Michel Jarre, Klaus Schulze, Vangelis, and Tomita). Consequently, he had gear piling up in his flat (literally), and in the staircase because he had run out of space.

One day, Mark Shreeve paid a visit to Mr. Jenkins in order to pick up an instrument he had loaned to him. When he was going upstars, he heard a thumping noise which turned out to be a Mini Moog that came tumbling down a flight of stairs as it had fallen off the top of the pile it had been lying on.

Mark Jenkins also ships ARP Sequencers in the back of a London taxi. So I have heard...

While dwelling on the subject: In the late 1990s, early 2000s, I was writing for an alternative music paper in Germany. One day, the editor rang me up and told me I was to conduct an interview with KS as I was the only one among the editorial staff that knew a thing or two about Schulze and his music. I was given KS' phone number and rang him up one afternoon. It was a hilarious conversation on the phone and KS asked me to submit my questions, and he would answer them. Which I did... I never heard back from him, and the entire interview was ditched.

Many years later I learned that KS would rarely, if at all, answer questions in interviews -- KDM would do that for him, and obviously, KDM didn't like my questions, nor did he like the tone the text was written in.

You will find the article plus interview here (in German):

https://www.sequencer.de/synthesizer/threads/herzlichen-glueckwunsch-zum-70-klaus-schulze.124607/

Stephen

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:26 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« dronescape » wrote:
All right then, here's how the story goes:

(...)

I guess Mark Shreeve was lucky then that the synth didn't hit him... Laughing

« dronescape » wrote:
Many years later I learned that KS would rarely, if at all, answer questions in interviews -- KDM would do that for him,

From a certain point on, I believe (maybe somewhen in the 90s). If one is familiar with KDM's writing style (and opinions) it's fairly easy to recognize, when it was him and not Klaus who answered an interview. Although I believe in some regards, even if it was really Klaus, he was briefed by KDM regarding some questions...

« dronescape » wrote:

Nice. Pity it didn't happen in the end...

I like question 11 about RMI and Redshift, btw. - at least, Klaus (or KDM) could not complain that You had not given them an opportunity to return the sarcasm if they were up to it. Wink
Then again, You were hoping for some nice words here, perhaps...

By the way, "Schulze goes Heavy Metal" - didn't he do that already on "Megatone"...? Laughing

transceive
Cool Member

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:07 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
One day, Mark Shreeve paid a visit to Mr. Jenkins in order to pick up an instrument he had loaned to him. When he was going upstars, he heard a thumping noise which turned out to be a Mini Moog that came tumbling down a flight of stairs as it had fallen off the top of the pile it had been lying on.

Ah that's not so bad then I had thought he had maybe threw one down in anger.

Here is an entertaining KS interview. I take it this must have been KDM answering
http://www.muzicisifaze.com/alt_articol.php?id=24

GrahamH
Even more Cool Member

scotland.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:27 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« transceive » wrote:
Quote:

Ah that's not so bad then I had thought he had maybe threw one down in anger.

Here is an entertaining KS interview. I take it this must have been KDM answering
http://www.muzicisifaze.com/alt_articol.php?id=24

I'd agree, it certainly sounds like KDM, charming as ever..... Laughing

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
dronescape

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:59 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« GrahamH » wrote:
[...] I'd agree, it certainly sounds like KDM, charming as ever..... Laughing

What was that lovely British "t"-word again...? I think it had four letters to it.

Anyway, that's what KDM sounds like.

Stephen

qwave
Waldorfian

germany.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:16 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I had met him twice on the Frankfurt Music Fair. And I joined his talk with the Waldorf Music team about the then new Waldorf WAVE update.

I had a two telephone talks with KS in 2003, 2004. I had helped him getting the update disk for his Waldorf WAVE (I got this instrument in those days and copied them for him and sent them by snail-mail) . And also sent him my mind copies of old KS LPs for him to scan and fill the blanks in his personal collection lent away to others.

Anyway, we talked at both times in the late afternoon. He claimed to just got up from bed. We had a friendly talk for about 20 mins. We discussed some technical stuff about the Waldorf WAVE.

My copy of the book is ordered.

"Das Plagiat ist vielleicht die aufrichtigste Form der Verehrung." Alfred Polgar (†1955)

Jon

norway.gif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:48 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Does the title of the book mean that violins are hard to find, so KS would rather use a violin sample on his synthesizer? Laughing

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2021 CBACK.de