EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

RIP John Kerr

Jon
One of the Coolest Member

norway.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:43 am    RIP John Kerr Reply with quoteBack to top

https://www.discogs.com/artist/356533-John-Kerr

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
T.J. Turner

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:53 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh I'm sorry to hear about that. I had only recently discovered him last year, when I got an album called "Wet Dreams" where he credited his name as Kerrisma.
OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
VCO1

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:48 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

As confirmed by his partner:
https://www.facebook.com/john.kerr.501/posts/3450719578319064

Still remember buying his self-released Cathedral vinyl at Boudisque, Amsterdam when it just got released (we're talking 1983).

May he rest in peace.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:30 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Very, very sorry to hear this -- John was one of the first makers of electronic music I met personally, and who inspired me very much to become active as well. He even inspired my (early) setup of instruments to an extent that I also (still) have a Roland Vocoder Plus, a Yamaha CS50, a TR-808, and an RE-501...

He was a very kind and generous man, and I will always remember him for that.

Thank you so much, John -- Reflections and Citadel will always be seminal albums to me.

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Alvaro

spain.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:37 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Very sad news Sad

R.I.P. such a great musician

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:38 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Sad news indeed... Crying or Very sad

lethaveplank

spain.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:03 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Sad news. May he rest in peace.
His last album was a requiem (2018).

waveman2.3
Even more Cool Member

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:33 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi all, yes John was a kind person and humor. He was over the moon when I asked him: John, do wanna join my show....Your name is also John Smile http://emportal.info/viewtopic.php?t=11174 See more details for upcomming radioshow friday 25th http://emportal.info/viewtopic.php?t=14505
REWO Records

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:49 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

RIP dear John. May your music always be surrounded amongst us.

wmri
Very Cool Member

russia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:13 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

John was suffering for a long time. But in late years he was very active and was very positive as he could in his difficult health situation. He has done his best to go away like a star on high note. He is awesome! Now he can rest and relax in peace! Sweet dreams, John!

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
Jon

norway.gif

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:43 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Does anyone know if he was in any way related to Jim Kerr of Simple Minds?

dronescape

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:25 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

No, he was not.

Stephen

dronescape

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:50 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

For Germany's www.synthesizerforum.de, I wrote an obituary some months ago as John's passing was noticed even there (their focus is more aimed at modern dance music styles). I hope I managed to pay John some due respect, enjoy (I'll split it up in two or three parts):

I first heard about John's music on the infamous radio show Schwingungen in 1988 (Citadel album), and I found it quite remarkable. In 1990, I got in touch with John through Frits Couwenberg of KLEM and called him in Amsterdam - I had a very humorous Brit on the other end of the line who - indirectly - influenced my preoccupation with British language and culture. He very much encouraged me to speak English, and I learned more from him in a single phone call than from my A level teacher in the entire upper school.

dronescape

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:51 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Interestingly, he told me that he had actually wanted to quit making music after Citadel because he thought he had said everything there was to be said, but: he had just had a couple of jam sessions with a young Dutchman named Ron Boots. That had turned out to be more fun than expected, maybe something might develop from that after all, who knows. By late 1990, Offshore Islands was released, and all of a sudden, John found himself right in the focus of attention - after that, I personally wasn't all too fond of his music anymore (which was probably due to the modernised range of sounds that bordered on the kitschy, treading pseudo-orchestral grounds more often than once). I often found myself thinking that he probably should have quit after Citadel, but then again, his success proved him right.

He was also a key figure in my own technical development: In an interview with Winfrid Trenkler in April 1989 (five days before I bought a Minimoog), he revealed which instrument he used for his electronic choir sounds - the Roland VP-330 Vocoder Plus! I had already been bowled over by these sounds on some Kitaro albums, and now I finally knew which instrument that was! It was clear to me that I needed to have a VP-330 (which adorned the number plate on my car for years btw). And not only that one, also a Roland TR-808 and an RE-501 Chorus Echo as well as a Yamaha CS50 - all of these ended up here over the years (and some of them have actually come to stay). The quieter part of my 1992 cassette Polarity was all about John's music – you probably wouldn't believe when listening to the stuff I make nowadays. John himself sold his old junk around 1998 (I could have bought his CS50 back then, but I was broke all the time), and the VP-330 went to a Dutch electronic music performer ... I was always amazed at how much John did with that little equipment, and how highly recognisable his sonic trademark was, thanks to the instruments used.

dronescape

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:52 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

In 1990, after the long conversation on the phone mentioned above, I ordered a large batch of LPs but, unfortunately, two of them were no longer available. When I got home from school one fine Thursday in March 1990, a big parcel from Amsterdam was lying on the steps. It wasn't just the LPs that I had ordered but also the two albums that had been out of print for a long time (Cathedral and Three By Three) – free of charge, signed by John and dedicated to me! Years later, I received one of the last copies of a rare 7“ single from John, which was to accompany his first LP Cathedral – for free! That's what he was like - warm, generous, with a whacky sense of humour, and thoroughly British. And he would smoke lots and lots of Caballeros back then ...

Over the years, we ran into each other time and time again at events - a meeting with him and John Dyson deserves special attention as it was originally intended to be an interview for an American fanzine but, thanks to the two funny British blokes, it got completely out of hand: John Dyson was merrily munching away on the chips of a friend of mine while John Kerr had to go to the toilet urgently, which prompted John Dyson to comment it as "he's getting old, it's his prostate". I still have this recording somewhere.. here, too, more regional studies in one afternoon than in an entire course of study at university.

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2021 CBACK.de