EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

-Electronic Music Superstars-

dlmorley
One of the Coolest Member

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:17 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for your response Bill.
I guess Crap is just a negative word, but somehow it sums up what I feel about a certain section of EM.
So in short, yes, saying something is Crap is maybe just negative, so I should rephrase it.

In all honesty, I feel there is too much EM which has no inherent originality or qualities. Tired sounds (nothing wrong with classic sounds now and again btw!), tired concepts, lazy programming, unoriginal melodies and progressions, bad mixing and quality etc etc. It all sums up to me thinking it's crap, which I can replace with bad and bad for the genre as a whole.

Just because it's easy, doesn't mean you should do it! Razz
I get the feeling either people have no originality or are too lazy to bother and that mixed with a large quantity of people making EM leads to people perceiving the genre as a nerdy and bad genre as opposed to an exciting one (which it is when you finally find the great music which is why forums like this are GREAT!)

and on a forum like this I have discovered many names I didn't know and whose music I really enjoy btw

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
pjtmusic

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:58 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« 24db » wrote:
« dronescape » wrote:
Another problem is that media -- especially radio -- have changed considerably over the past ten years. There
OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
dlmorley

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:05 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

The Freak Zone is something absolutely worth checking out every week. Fabulous music

http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/shows/freakzone/

24db

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:46 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« pjtmusic » wrote:
« 24db » wrote:
« dronescape » wrote:
Another problem is that media -- especially radio -- have changed considerably over the past ten years. There
HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
pjtmusic

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:56 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« 24db » wrote:
« pjtmusic » wrote:
« 24db » wrote:
« dronescape » wrote:
phochos
Cool Member

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:24 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Phrozenlight » wrote:
I am a SUPERSTAR, no one is good as I am, they are just copycats Twisted Evil
the only problem is my fans are not on earth but are traveling between the stars Mr. Green

Nanu Nanu!!

dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:43 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

[quote:c8a5851fba="Ren

DeepR
Cool Member

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:26 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

The electronic music 'superstars' of today are DJ Tiesto and the likes and let's just leave it at that. Smile

Let everyone with more developed taste pick their favorites from the enormous amounts of electronic music and genres on labels and/or free on the internet. None of that will ever appeal to the big masses as long as it doesn't become commercialized dance music or used in movie soundtracks or something like that.

pjtmusic

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:45 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« DeepR » wrote:
The electronic music 'superstars' of today are DJ Tiesto and the likes and let's just leave it at that. Smile

I had not heard of this artist so a quick google later and I found this incredible video on youtube. Just look at these stats.

Views: 5,297,613

Comments: 4880

Favorited: 17403 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZmE3fUKU5U

It starts off with Adagio For Strings and not much happening other than DJ Tiesto standing behind the desks and someone MC'ing and I thought oh no, another dull DJ playing some commercial trance records whilst pretending to do something.

Soon though an electric violin player turns up and all hell breaks loose with stunning lights and stage FX.

I'm not convinced that DJ Tiesto was actually doing anything other than dancing about.

Its easy to see why he is a superstar.

The related vids are mostly well worth a watch as well.

Added info watch this -

HOW TO MAKE TIESTO ADAGIO FOR STRINGS IN 10 MINS!!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5L9MlHxmNMg

dronescape

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:56 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

One question has not been answered yet: What do we need superstars for, be it in EM or in general? What

modulator_esp

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:58 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

and look what happens to the so-called EM superstars, they end up chasing commercial success over all else

24db

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:49 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

and along the way sell shit loads of CDs and play to packed houses..***king unfair world innit?

pjtmusic

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:37 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« 24db » wrote:
and along the way sell shit loads of CDs and play to packed houses..***king unfair world innit?

Such is life for the serious musician. Sad Crying or Very sad

GlennFolkvord
Very Cool Member

norway.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:04 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Any music genre needs ambassadors that reaches outside it's own community, or else it will more or less dwindle. I bet a very high portion of the members of this forum connected to EM through one of the better known artists or "superstars" (I should have used the word ambassadors more). Sorry, but there are no concerts of Redshift, Ron Boots, Monolake, Ashera or Code Indigo on TV (just to name a few of the artists in the stack of CDs on my desk) and TV reaches far more people than this forum and the whole of the internet together. That does not mean people won't like those artists if they get to hear them, but they are NOT getting to hear them unless they are drawn to this forum and other similar resources by ambassadors (or some other indirect cause).

http://www.jarre.no

dronescape

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:46 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« GlennFolkvord » wrote:
Any music genre needs ambassadors that reaches outside it's own community, or else it will more or less dwindle. I bet a very high portion of the members of this forum connected to EM through one of the better known artists or "superstars" (I should have used the word ambassadors more). Sorry, but there are no concerts of Redshift, Ron Boots, Monolake, Ashera or Code Indigo on TV (just to name a few of the artists in the stack of CDs on my desk) and TV reaches far more people than this forum and the whole of the internet together. That does not mean people won't like those artists if they get to hear them, but they are NOT getting to hear them unless they are drawn to this forum and other similar resources by ambassadors (or some other indirect cause).

I

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2021 CBACK.de