EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

VST's sound as good as the equivalent real synth?

Poll :: VST's sound as good as the equivalent real synth

Yes
24%
 24%  [ 12 ]
No
57%
 57%  [ 28 ]
I can't tell the difference
18%
 18%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 49

pjtmusic
One of the Coolest Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:43 pm    VST's sound as good as the equivalent real synth? Reply with quoteBack to top

VST's sound as good as the equivalent real synth?
OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
modulator_esp

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:44 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Not in my experience

create
Quadra | Astrogator | Mr Humpries

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:38 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

They don't sound as rich and detailed as real synths but i for one do use them alongside my hardware equipment.
OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
René

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:51 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I voted no because it depends on the soundcard + computer you're using. If you really want to use all capabilities than you at least need of soundcard of MOTU / RME / DIGIDESIGN. And they are expensive.

I voted also no because I like to have to physical instrument in my hands. The VST may sound better at some point or may have more possibilities, but you always need that damn computer.

But it's a good alternative.

Artemi

russia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:21 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Voted NO

Syn303

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:38 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I voted NO... uses up too much CPU. Only use Software for recording and mastering purposes.
von haulshoven

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:09 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I don`t use them because they sounds to good and to clean.
And...I like my toys and hate the pc-screen

ant i fnvoij/4;'@nvi'gjinvkjnvlknv
oeps sorry switched my screen off while typing.

Very Happy

René

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:13 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Syn303 » wrote:
I voted NO... uses up too much CPU. Only use Software for recording and mastering purposes.

I forgot that one. Agree.

ambientlive

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:46 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

what else would you use the CPU for ?

the glimmer room
Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:55 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

if it is there i will use it. i try to think as them as instruments in there own right, not just copies. i have often thought though that if every moog or prophet 5 didn't even sound consistently the same how can you have a accurate copy? tho i do agree some are way off the mark. mixed into a track quite a few are good enough for me. i just dig the sounds not so much the instrument these days so with that in mind i voted yes.

andy c

dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:38 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Would you say an artificial sweetener like Cyclamat (spelling) adds the same sort of *aroma* to a dish as real brown sugar?

Most probably not.

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
ambientlive

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:54 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

depends what kind of dish you're trying to make

all sound generation sources are fair game

it's what you do with them that matters

we can't all afford minimoogs etc

the glimmer room
Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:35 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

i am with mr ambientlive wholely on this. for a lot of people expense and convenience are just as important factors as authenticity. they have kept me making music at a time when i could quite easily have been priced out of the game.
just one thing i would hate for this thread to just degenerate into a vst is better than hardware or visa versa type thread, i thought we where beyond all that. what might be spot on for someone would be way of the mark for others, just the way it is, just the way it has always been.

Andy

pjtmusic

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:18 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I exclusivly use VST's with Sony Vaio laptop.

Timeslip was done with Minimoog, ARP 2600, EMS VCS3 and Mellotron VST's.

It would be nice to actually own the real things - but I don't have that sort of money Crying or Very sad . I have a SCI Pro One and a Moog Opus 3 (OK perhaps not the best example of Moog's Synths but ..... its on a free long term borrow) and they get used now and then, but for recording the convinience of VST's is great and I thnk they sound good even if not actually exactly the same to the origionals.

I built a SCI Pro One in Synthedit as there are no commercal or freeware ones on the net with the exception of the creamware card one made by wine country sequential. (Well I could'nt find any others anyway - and I looked for a long time)

It sounds good but not exactly the same. Its used on my free to download album Zeon http://www.archive.org/details/PeterTedstoneZeon along with the Minimoog, ARP 2600 and Mellotron and a STS26 for the pads.

Anyone who wants to try it out can download it FOR FREE - the usual "try it at your own risk and don't blame me if it stuffs your PC" thing applies.

http://www.geocities.com/pjt_music/floone.zip

redphil

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:39 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« ambientlive » wrote:

all sound generation sources are fair game

it's what you do with them that matters

Absolutely spot on.

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2021 CBACK.de