EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

-The intrinsic value of music-

pjtmusic
One of the Coolest Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:51 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« dlmorley » wrote:
The impact I see or hear is a LOT of very similar sounding artists with very similar sounds and grooves. The difference being that they are actually IDENTICAL grooves and IDENTICAL sounds. Before you had no option but to invent and create. Now you can combine elements (in general supplied loops or presets or even themes) and make music. It's a small but critical difference.
It's the classic Ringo scenario. I'm sure there are drummers better than Ringo starr, but you hear one beat of his rhythm and you know it's him. The songs would be totally different with a different drummer. Maybe better, maybe worse, but certainly different.
Same with great composition. Or great sound creation.
These days there is too much non descript but perfectly "decent" sounding music around.

True and in the commercial music world this is the making money and business thing coming through. Someone is sucessful with a sound or style and the next thing you know is the charts are full of it. Take Trance for example - once a club thing it went anthemic and uplifting, so put a female vocal on it and it takes off chart wise. Next thing you know is that the charts are full of the same thing and as you say - who can tell who is who.

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
Hyper5nic

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:06 pm    Nice first column Reply with quoteBack to top

Smile That was a nice first column. But because i have read blogs and columns like this dozens of times before, i would like to see more that tackle a topic, a problem or even an interesting new (or recycled) idea Idea .

How about a poll for future columns and let members choose what they would like to read about.

Some suggestions: Rolling Eyes

Idea 1) Making music: From idea to laying the foundation (choosing sounds, rhythm and melody) and putting it all together.

Idea 2) Breaking into the music business. How to be succesfull, and why not... ?

Idea 3) About different, alternative and older genres of music. What are your thoughts on electronic music made with 'bended electronic devices' for instance.

Idea 4) The future of music making or 'Are we there yet... ?'
Have we reached the ultimate in electronic music making? Do we need more voices, a richer voice-architecture, multitimbral devices that can play every note in a symphonic orchestra or more complex softsynths?

Wink Well, that's my 5 cents in this Column-forum.

Ofcourse I also wish for the columns to have their own page and layout. An image is nice, but you can't for instance, scale the text.
Also, creating a layout can be a challenge too. Wink

Good luck too all involved in breathing life into another great feature on the EMPortal website.

Will be back soon, Hyper

BillBinkelman
Very Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:09 pm    Re: Nice first column Reply with quoteBack to top

I have been invited to write a column (run for the hills! Laughing ) but this last post has me wondering...do most of the readers feel the same way as this person (below) does? Because my column(s) would be be almost entirely editorial-based and not at all about anything except my opinions. Before I take virtual pen to virtual paper, I wanted to check this out with everyone here. Because, since I am not a musician, if that was what people want, well, I am not your man, to say the least. If, OTOH, you want some opinions that I can guarantee will provoke some strong reactions Rolling Eyes then I gladly accept the offer.

Seriously, is the column supposed to be opinions and commentary on the way things are (in one person's opinion) or something else entirely different. I'd like to know what people want and expect in future columns.

Bill Binkelman

« Hyper5nic » wrote:
Smile That was a nice first column. But because i have read blogs and columns like this dozens of times before, i would like to see more that tackle a topic, a problem or even an interesting new (or recycled) idea Idea .

How about a poll for future columns and let members choose what they would like to read about.

Some suggestions: Rolling Eyes

Idea 1) Making music: From idea to laying the foundation (choosing sounds, rhythm and melody) and putting it all together.

Idea 2) Breaking into the music business. How to be succesfull, and why not... ?

Idea 3) About different, alternative and older genres of music. What are your thoughts on electronic music made with 'bended electronic devices' for instance.

Idea 4) The future of music making or 'Are we there yet... ?'
Have we reached the ultimate in electronic music making? Do we need more voices, a richer voice-architecture, multitimbral devices that can play every note in a symphonic orchestra or more complex softsynths?

Wink Well, that's my 5 cents in this Column-forum.

Ofcourse I also wish for the columns to have their own page and layout. An image is nice, but you can't for instance, scale the text.
Also, creating a layout can be a challenge too. Wink

Good luck too all involved in breathing life into another great feature on the EMPortal website.

Will be back soon, Hyper

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
VCO1

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:34 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Bill,

I'm really looking forward to reading your column. You do have great insight into the (E)Music business and some strong opinions as well. Exactly what I'm looking for in a column.

EMPortal is first and foremost about electronic music, in whatever guise. There's heaps and heaps of sites covering the art of music making and music technology. There's only a few about electronic music (and one EMPortal Wink).

So, to go short, yes... go ahead and put your thoughts on the virtual paper. I know quite a few people will enjoy it!

Just my 2 cents.

And for all our US readers: Happy 4th and enjoy the fireworks!

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Russell Storey
Even more Cool Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:39 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Bill i for one would love to read a column by you as a long time publisher/reviewer you have a different and very valid angle on the EM scene
and as a EM composer/listener thought provoking coloumn's could be quite inspiring the first one has certanly been interesting.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
modulator_esp

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:42 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm interested in reading anything Smile

GlennFolkvord
Very Cool Member

norway.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:47 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Reacting to the original column entry - I agree with what was written. But the problem does not stop with music. For quite a few years the information and media revolution has fragmented our time and "data consumption" (be it books, newspapers, tv, radio, music, art, whatever....) into an accelerating spiral that we have not yet seen the end of. Which is unfortunate. Music suffers under this pressure. We have all grown into the notion that "more is better" when it comes to freedom of selection, choices, channels, ways of expressing ourselves, etc. A modern phenomenon like blogs is part of the spiral. Now everyone is a critic! And while more is written/created/composed, yet each word weighs less because you can't really single out quality stuff that easily - and then being labelled as a elitist if you try to filter out nonsense.

MP3s, blogs and the internet in general contribute to fragmentation and "instant gratification" syndromes (which translates into music consumptions, rather than music appreciation). I assume it can't be stopped, though. We have to live with it, but I don't see it improving. I very much doubt there will be an "internet 2.0" where information is quality secured. The net is a too democratic tool for that. We can't wikify everything.

Now, back to music. There is a range of musical genres I listen to; classical, electronic, pop, some jazz, some techno/dance - and one of my favourite artists is a harmonica composer/player (I maintain his offical website). But because we are offered so much music these days, and you cannot possibly explore everything to the extent it deserves, I have actually tried to actively limit myself, and no longer want to explore everything and anything to great depths. How can you keep really getting into music on a serious level if you have 50 new albums each month to wade through? I am taking a stance against the whole "more is better" culture and have unsubscribed from most of my tv channels, narrowed the kind of books and movies I spend time with, and chosen to ignore some music (rap, rock, opera, r&b to name some genres) to afford more quality time for the rest. This is not just a "I don't have time for everything" idea, it's a "I don't want time for everything" idea, if you see the difference.

And a final note, EM related as well; I have been actively promoting electronic music since the early 90s in various mass media, because I believe it is a good genre. Radio shows, press announcements, organizations, internet. My masterplan is that alot of people will learn to appreciate EM if they become exposed to it. I think many folks like EM, but they don't know it yet! Forcing exposure of EM onto people is becoming more difficult in recent times thanks to the fragmentation of culture and information, but it must continue! Vive le musique electronique!

http://www.jarre.no

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Mac of BIOnighT
Even more Cool Member

italy.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:46 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« GlennFolkvord » wrote:
But the problem does not stop with music.

Right. Unfortunately, the problem involves each and every aspect of a person's life Sad

« GlennFolkvord » wrote:
"instant gratification" syndromes (which translates into music consumptions, rather than music appreciation).

Just like it translates into life consumption as opposed to life appreciation Sad Sad

« GlennFolkvord » wrote:
I assume it can't be stopped, though.

Unfortunately, I do not have a lot of faith in humanity, so I'm afraid I have to agree on this, too...

« GlennFolkvord » wrote:
I am taking a stance against the whole "more is better" culture

Same here, in all areas...

« GlennFolkvord » wrote:
This is not just a "I don't have time for everything" idea, it's a "I don't want time for everything" idea, if you see the difference.

I do see it, and I do agree...

« GlennFolkvord » wrote:
My masterplan is that a lot of people will learn to appreciate EM if they become exposed to it. I think many folks like EM, but they don't know it yet!

Which goes to prove that we are optimistic people after all Wink
This makes me think of the title of an album by RMI: "People would really like Space Rock if they would only give it a try" Wink Wink
Hope they really will give it a try some day... in the meantime, we can just keep on trying Wink

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
GlennFolkvord
Very Cool Member

norway.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:03 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes, it's always good to be optimistic. Sometimes few and small moments can be very rewarding;

One day I was broadcasting a radio show of electronic music (I had a weekly one-hour show then) and during the show a listener called it and asked what song I had played, and where he could get it.

Another time I was running a music shop and played electronic music over the PA system, and one day a guy came in from the street and asked what music I was playing. It was Jarre's Images collection, and he bought it there and then, not knowing Jarre before but got hooked on the few bars he heard.

Another time I had been interviewed in a local newspaper, and someone I knew (but who were not into EM) asked me to compile a CDR of EM for beginners, since they got curious on this topic from the interview. And then they got hooked as well, starting to buy Vangelis, Kraftwerk, Jarre and similar artists.

These moments and others proove that if exposure is given, some people will convert Smile Of course, mass media coverage, concerts and festivals are also good, even better in fact, to remind people that there is something else than Top40 music.

http://www.jarre.no

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
MarkM
Cool Member

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:14 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

As to cover art and liner notes being missed; the listener can get even more art and more connection to the artist via the artist's websites.

Concept albums probably will be less common. Digital downloads from sites such as iTunes as well as the artists' own websites are the way it is becoming and the way it will be. Perhaps this isn't such a bad thing. Artists can now feel less pressured to release a collection for a CD. Tracks that were good but didn't quite fit in to a collection of other tracks can now find a market. The artist now has the freedom to release as many or as few tracks as they want. The listener can now cherry pick what tracks they want from an artist. Let's face it; not all tracks on an album or CD are great. It's not uncommon to have some tracks there as filler.

As to the quality of sound. You youngsters (I'm 55) forget that some of us first listened to music on crappy AM radio. We also had crappy 45 players: not the $1000+ stereo systems that many of you now take for granted. For portability we had crappy transistor radios with one tiny 2 or 3 inch speaker. These mp3 players of today sound 1000 times better than what we had when I was a kid. They sound 100 times better than the boom boxes of the 80s with their cassettes.

As to the music of today: many of you grew up and first listened to music in the late 60s and 70s. That was a period of time when many artists were given more control of their music by the record companies. Often a producer and an artist were a team. It seemed that many record companies were seeking artists with a new sound. I think that today the producer fancies him/herself as the true artist, and the musician is merely a hired hand to help him produce his vision (or the record company's vision) of the music. They all want to be the Phil Spector of today.

Another aspect to consider: the instruments of today and the near future are much different than those in the past. In addition recording equipt. is completely different: ProTools, Akai MPC sampler/sequencers, the myriad of beat boxes, VSTs, etc.

I also see a benefit of all the home recording enthusiasts flooding the music market. Sure some may be bland or even terrible. However, there's more of a chance for that individual who doesn't have an agent or connections to create something that could take us all in a new musical direction. Hopefully that artist will be found and emerge from this flood of music.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2021 CBACK.de