EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Moog Music Recreates a Trio of Its Legendary Modular Synths

Naus
One of the Coolest Member

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:34 pm    Moog Music Recreates a Trio of Its Legendary Modular Synths Reply with quoteBack to top

Moog Music Recreates a Trio of Its Legendary Modular Synths

http://www.moogmusic.com/sight-and-sound/product_demo/back-future-sounds

http://www.wired.com/2015/01/moog-modular-synth-redux/

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:55 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Limited-Edition runs, and frankly, at a price like this you might as well buy some truly modular synth which is even expandable. MOS-Lab or COTK come to mind, or Moon Modular (which would be my first choice in 5U modulars).

A Model 55 is nice but rather limited, and so are the other models.

I guess this is aimed at the same sort of people that would also buy a limited-edition rerun of a Harley Davidson Shovelhead.

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
LNerell
Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:20 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

If you compare the price of the new Moog to what they went for new 30-40 years ago, the price is actually not that bad. Yeah they are not as cheap as the copies, but they are the real deal, hand made just like the originals. I saw them at NAMM and they measure up to the 35 I learned on, and the 15 I use to own.

Having said that you won't see me with one soon, I have too much invested in eurorack right now.

- Loren

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteYahoo Messenger    
dronescape

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:25 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I think Moog Music is missing the point -- after all, modular synthesisers are all about being expandable. They prefer to stick with the rather limited module configuration of a 35 or 55, with the optional extra sequencer complement.

Modular fun starts with a configuration like the one Mark Shreeve has with his IIIc, the 55 has always been a slimmed-down boutique modular IMO. Which makes it no bad instrument, just a bad investment.

I can do about 90% of what a 55 can do, at 10% the hassle -- by using a Mini Moog Smile.

Stephen

BruecknerAmbient
One of the Coolest Member

germany.gif

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:35 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I'd really love to just try one of these (or some comparable modular system) at least once in my life; pity I probably never will get a chance to... Rolling Eyes

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
dronescape

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:05 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

It's quite impressive to sit in front of roughly 1.5 square metres of knobs and cables, all solid hardware, etched front panels with those chunky black knobs and shiny inlays.

When set up properly, it can also unleash quite some massive noise.

Ultimately, it is a tad too big for me, though. I'd settle for a Roland 700 instead.

Stephen

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2021 CBACK.de