EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Kevin O'Neill

scorpion

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:06 pm    Kevin O'Neill Reply with quoteBack to top

An amazing EM artist who was popular at UK Electronicas and similar type events in the 80s and 90s. If you don't know his work then it would be fair to say he was in a similar vein to Carl Matthews and Greg Truckell. However he had his own very distinctive sound and I have not heard others venture into that territory in quite the way he so boldy did.

His discography included Icon, Intimations of Immortality, Omega, Islands, Kartharsis, Hostage to Fortune and others.

He retired in the late 90s due to ill health (he is now in his 60s) however I keep nattering him to take to the keys once again. A great bloke and he still lives in his beloved Cardiff.

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
Gmhfd

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:19 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Kevin always stood out for me amongst the 80's uk em scene as unique with a very individual style, I have all of his cassette releases and rated him very highly, he received quite a bit of deserved critical acclaim I recall.

I have great memories of the festival he organised in Cardiff and there are some great you tube clips to be viewed.

Anyone wanting to hear more should check out the systems of romance website where they have uploaded some of kevins music (which he supplied), I downloaded the other week and it's still as good as I remember, his choice of sounds has not dated at all compared to other musicians from the period.

Kevin was a real one-off, he was a really nice bloke as well, it would be great to hear from him again.

This is my first post and I registered just so I could share my feelings about Kevin's music.

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
VCO1
One of the Coolest Member

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:26 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for the pointer. This is a completely new name to me. Will check out his music soon.
OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
stevepalmer

wales.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:41 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I remember meeting him a couple of times at UK concerts, but I don't have any of his music. I think in the old days it was distributed by Mirage.

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:07 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Ah, nice to find Kevin in this here forum - I made his acquaintance lately over at Facebook, where he is quit curiously exploring different EM-centered groups at the moment.

Lucky me, he even sent me two of his albums, which are really marvellous - I instantly loved them, will be my falling-asleep music tonight.

If You want to get in touch with him, and if You are using FB, You might spot him over there...

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2021 CBACK.de