EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Cubase 6.5 (Upgrade)

phaedra2008
One of the Coolest Member

australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:07 pm    Cubase 6.5 (Upgrade) Reply with quoteBack to top

I've had Cubase since the 3.0 new revision numbering and kept it up to date.
Like a lot of software, full revision upgrades cost money and the last one I did was from 5 to 6 some 3-4 months ago.
Now Steinberg introduced for half revision paid upgrades, it cost $59 to jump from 6.xx to 6.5, what next?

By contrast, hats off to Arturia.
Some 4 years ago I got the V collection bundle and asked about upgrades cost, the answer was free for life, and that's how it has been so far.

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
Juta Takahashi
Even more Cool Member

japan.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:31 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I guess Arturia products have been selling very enough for them.
Actually, I own lots of their products.
They are so excellent, apart from the occasional bugs. Wink

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:18 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Arturia went through a bad time around 2008-2009 when they got all their resources working on Origin while most of their VSTi's were riddled with bugs with no updates/fixes for over a year.
Things are different now and that encouraged me to get the Oberheim SEM VSTi too.

jazzcomputer

france.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:27 pm    Re: Cubase 6.5 (Upgrade) Reply with quoteBack to top

« phaedra2008 » wrote:
I've had Cubase since the 3.0 new revision numbering and kept it up to date.
Like a lot of software, full revision upgrades cost money and the last one I did was from 5 to 6 some 3-4 months ago.
Now Steinberg introduced for half revision paid upgrades, it cost $59 to jump from 6.xx to 6.5, what next?

Was it really worth upgrading ? For example, is the bridging feature (from 32 to 64 bits and 64 bits to 32) completely working now, or what justifies upgrading in your daily practice ?

Y.

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:10 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Very nice. I still work with Cubase 5 VST - the version is from 2004, I guess, the last one before the major revision. Could never afford the update from then on (nor the faster Mac that would have been needed to run it...).

Still love to work with the old Cubase, though...

Well, Dan - I'm really curious what exactly You do with Cubase and the Oberheim SEM. Music...?

Wink

treibklang

germany.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:17 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I do not see a reason for updating to 6.5, yet. There will be a bug fixing release 6.0.6 in due time. The update-costs are argued about some VST synths and filters being added. Well, I do not need those.

REWO Records

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:51 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Cubase 5 is a lot better than 2/3/4 was.

I recorded "Pro Sequentia" and "Recreation" albums with Cubase SE. The Midi-part is excellent. In 2005 I switched over to Apple and Logic. "Alchemia" is recorded with Logic 7 express just like Universal Quiet.

The reverb of Cubase is ok...but I wouldn't replace it for my Logic 8. Yes, still 8 because 9 doesn't add any extras for me. And I still work with the Apple G5 computer which is perfect. I have the TC Electronic & Focusrite DSP's so don't need a faster one.

I agree that the 32/64 bit conversions are excellent to do upgrades and ask money for it.

Arturia does this indeed a lot better. Once you got the package you get the updates for free. I am very happy with them now although I can not upgrade now to 2.6 because of that G5.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
REWO Records

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:54 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« phaedra2008 » wrote:

Things are different now and that encouraged me to get the Oberheim SEM VSTi too.

Japanese MusicJP on Youtube did an interesting comparison with the original SEM and the software version. Pretty convincing.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
Ron

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:48 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« treibklang » wrote:
I do not see a reason for updating to 6.5, yet. There will be a bug fixing release 6.0.6 in due time. The update-costs are argued about some VST synths and filters being added. Well, I do not need those.

The Pad synth is nice, alittle bit like Omnishere, the analogue one is not bad but anybody having something like that already doesn't need it. The rest of the plugin updates are ok but not worth the 49 Euro's. I consider this just a moneymake update, I run C6 on a 64bit system and it runs fantastic!! Most good plugins are now 64bit (arturia, NI, Spectrasonics and most others run fine with Jbridge) And with the extra memory you can run instances of plugins as much as you want. I would transfer right away if you have C4/5 and run Windows 7. It is stable, versatile and has features that shoots all other DAW's out of the water 9yes I also know enough of the rest!!Smile

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:07 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

This 6.5 paid upgrade is not really worth it, not for the "added" features.
Need them or not, upgrades tend to be imminent at some point, so I do it upfront before I forget.
Just curious how they structure future upgrades, for example from 6->7 will be $xx, but from 6.5->7 will it be less taking into account the "mid term" upgrade.

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2021 CBACK.de