EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Anathema

Victor Meldrew
One of the Coolest Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:35 am    Anathema Reply with quoteBack to top

Every so often you come across an album that just blows you away. For me at the moment that album is Anathema's 'We're Here Because We're Here'. Not strictly prog in the truest sense but on the "post-progressive" K-Scope label and mixed by label-mate Steven Wilson (a la Porcupine Tree) there is plenty to interest the discerning prog listener. No long instrumental workouts here - it's the vocal harmonies and the sheer power and emotion in the songs that's the selling point.

I'm new to this band and was surprised that they'd been going for well over a decade. They apparently started out as a doom metal outfit but have gradually mellowed over the years. This latest release has been long-awaited (for 7 years!) and shows a real maturity lacking in their earlier work. Moves me close to tears at times.

Unfortunately a preview is not yet available on Spotify. But buy with confidence - you will not be disappointed.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageAIM Address    
sparrow

scotland.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:53 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Good album..Also check out Pineapple Thief on the same label..like a cross between Porcupine Tree & Radiohead.
OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
Naus

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:03 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I love the album, I have most of their output and must say this is my favorite!

I checked out Pineapple Thief, even saw them live last year, opening for Riverside, but they really don't do anything for me, I am surprised they even are considered to be prog related. It's not bad music but closer to pop like Coldplay than to prog like Porcupine. (Riverside were ofcourse amazing Smile )

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
oddentity
Even more Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:17 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Fine band, check out the albums; a natural disaster and Judgement, both very good. The new one is probably their pinnacle tho'. Seem 'em a few times live too but stangely always as a support, for bands like porcupine Tree and the mighty Opeth. Very underrated band.
Rob.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
Victor Meldrew

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:28 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Naus » wrote:
I checked out Pineapple Thief, even saw them live last year, opening for Riverside, but they really don't do anything for me, I am surprised they even are considered to be prog related. It's not bad music but closer to pop like Coldplay than to prog like Porcupine. (Riverside were ofcourse amazing Smile )

Agree with you there Naus. I bought their '3000 Days' compilation, and whilst it is enjoyable in parts, I find it a touch repetitive. Certainly more indie rock than prog. Reminds me of Travis on several tracks. But check out Bruce Soord's earlier work with Vulgar Unicorn - great band and most definitely progressive.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageAIM Address    

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2021 CBACK.de