EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Digital downloads ??

Craig Shipley
One of the Coolest Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:07 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

As far as converting FLACs to other formats, I had been using an old copy of Nero until I stumbled upon dbPoweramp Converter a few weeks ago. Since I have a quad-core CPU, this program can decode 4 different FLAC files simultaneously lightning-quick and it does a damn fine job of getting the tags right (yes, I buy FLAC files then convert them to MP3's, but having the FLAC "future proofs" me from a very-highly-unlikely format change AND i can burn a CD anytime i want). Check out the fully-featured trialware version here and be prepared to buy it!

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm

----------------
Now playing: Radio Massacre International - Black Cloud Over Claremont
via FoxyTunes

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
rasperjd
Very Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:12 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

:O) Always amused me that most folks want a CD player in their car......how do they compenstae for the 'road noise'....what's the point? I can see using an Mp3 in the car might have a case....but unless it's a Rolls Royce (!) then a CD defeats the object!

Ditto the Mp3 debate.....most folks who listen (unfortunately) don't know or hear the actual 'quality'.....it is a great shame really....mp3 is good for 'examples' and for the young folks who listen to music whilst jogging or whatever......the 'audiophile' still has the opportunity (just!) to buy the actual CD, or a 'lossless' file from such as MZ for example, eg FLAC.

I remember cassette...and we all though it was brilliant back then...and vinyl of course....there is still a certain 'magic' about some of the older material...in fact I was just the other day listening to a rough-out of a D'Lear song which he never used....on cassette....done as a one shot take....(he even says at one point 'sounds like the Pet Shop Boys'...!!!!) and I'm considering re-doing it maybe as an orchestral piece...had a quick 'go'....but it doesn't have that 'magic', who knows why???.....maybe a bit more work (a lot!) will be required......but it may never work like that ever again.....oh well....we plod on....:O) And it is amusing to see in the VST FX in Cubase etc etc...the things that put in (!!) 'crackles' and 'scratches'...huh so much for advances in technology...is it all a 'game'..????? Up to you guys...:O)

Luv JD and Co xxxxx

www.johndysonmusic.com

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
ech3
Even more Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:14 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

> Always amused me that most folks want a CD player in their car......
> how do they compensate for the 'road noise'

I play CDs in my 07 Camry all the time and they sound great. It's a reasonably quiet car, road noise generally isn't a problem.

Playing some deep ambient piece by Steve Roach probably wouldn't work. Then again, I can hardly that at home either.

phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:54 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
I remember cassette...and we all though it was brilliant back then...and vinyl of course....there is still a certain 'magic' about some of the older material...

he, he,
comes down to personal nostalgic preference.
I hate all of those "carriers" for ruining the actual music, they got us where we are but they are all imperfect technology, more like stepping stones.

Here is an example:
I have a couple of over 100 year cylinder gramophones, Edison Gem and Columbia Eagle.
I recorded a 2 minute segment on a wax cylinder of Stairway to heaven.
It sound absolutely awful just like the old cylinders, the frequency response is 10 times narrower than a phone line...
Yet many were blown away in 1897 by the new technology, and there was the typical resistance when the cylinder was ditched for a disc shaped carrier.

I don't miss any of the old systems, they are just historical artifacts we don't want to let go of.
That's my view, if I buy music, that's all I want to hear.
Smile

Graham

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:05 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« rasperjd » wrote:
I remember cassette...and we all though it was brilliant back then...

I didn't Very Happy

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:29 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

The brilliant thing about cassettes was like today's CDr, anyone could make one.
Let them go away.
Very Happy

rasperjd
Very Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:49 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

:O)
My synths run on gas.......

All the tech is great these days I suppose....and by that I mean comparing with the wax cylinders etc etc....there is always 'progress'....but the tech has also killed (almost completely, relatively speaking) the CD market...and I should know. Some may consider this a 'good' thing...as the music is more readily accesible and 'easy' to get...but at what cost to 'music' in general??

The unfortunate thing about the tech and the net...is that everyone wants everything for nothing...irrespective of the 'quality' (and I'm talking genralities here...) so there are two sides to everything.....
If I could sell as many actual CD albums as I did in the past then I'd have no worries about surviving....but that's not the case these days......
This problem has always been with us I suppose, as it was always possible even in the past, to 'copy' an album onto a cassette (say) and, the 'losses' notwithstanding, pass it around.....so....nothing changes really??? But the sales figures these days re CD speak for themselves..... .....nuff said!!! So, it's all up to you giuys out there.....if we don't survive because of 'download'/piracy/mp3/whatever then we have to ask ourselves....was it a 'good thing' after all....?????
But then again...I might be doing the 'wrong' stuff....:O)
But you can only do so much with gas-powered thingies......snigger.
Luv JD and Co xxxxxxxxxxxxx

www.johndysonmusic.com

ambientlive

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:01 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

cd not dead yet, then
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/04/26/bpi_music_revenue_2009/

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
René

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:09 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

"The CD is still an excellent digital product".
rasperjd
Very Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:55 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« René » wrote:
"The CD is still an excellent digital product".

HI...sorry been away for funerals/hospital visits (not us!) and Jack's organ recital in Glasgow....looking after dogs....and cats...and model railways for a show in May...eeeek....and then they say 'where'e the next album'....!!! Huh...

Too true re CD......I'm so old (!) I can remember 'treasuring' the vinyl albums.....and the covers/pics/art too.....and loving them to bits.....You can't do that with an mp3.....? And you can't hug it either.....

(Yeah, I know you can download the art etc from MusicZeit et al......)
but...there's nothing like a 'proper' album IMHO...(only!)

Everyone to their own of course.....it's a democracy....well, in most places......but that'll change when we take over the world...(screams of manic laughter).....not.
Luv JD and Co xxxxxxxxxxx

www.johndysonmusic.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:54 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

over the last 4 months i have been ripping to HD some 2000 cd's.
These are now off to the loft, a relic of the past untill i can find somewhere to store them (if ever) downstairs...

whatever i want to listen to is a click away now, and i have gone past the stage of fetishing physical product.

Try it...so much better...and i never thought i would say that.

up the DL revolution!

rasperjd
Very Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:23 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Hash...well, hopefully you have a backup of the disk.....disc? I was bought a Western Digital free-standing 500GB Hard Drive for my 60th birthday by friends and family who 'clubbed' together to pay for it; it was supposed to be 'plug and play' (USB 2.0)....it recorded the files...then everytime it started up it went and checked the disk...and recommended that you let it do this....so I did...and it came back and said 'no files found'.....? Thanks a lot...
I had it re-formatted to NSTC etc etc etc....same thing....load of crap....
Yes, the tech is good (?) but you need many backups of your treasures mate.....:O)
And I still don't have any idea of a reliable replacement.......some of the stuff is really shitty.....watch out.
And this is from a 'name' brand too......
Luv J xx
(PS Been away down south, hence late replies)

www.johndysonmusic.com

Graham

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:40 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« hashtronaut » wrote:
over the last 4 months i have been ripping to HD some 2000 cd's.
These are now off to the loft, a relic of the past untill i can find somewhere to store them (if ever) downstairs...

whatever i want to listen to is a click away now, and i have gone past the stage of fetishing physical product.

Try it...so much better...and i never thought i would say that.

up the DL revolution!

Yup, had the same epiphany about 5 years ago.

I have no issue with people treasuring physical product. Downloads cannot compete if you like collecting nice artifacts.

But in terms of flexibility and accessibility to your musical collection, there is no contest.

If you are in it purely for the music, a purely digital approach will open up your collection in a way that physical media simply cannot compete with.

As JD said, backup is important. Recently invested in 2x 1.5Tb drives so I can have one complete copy offsite.

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
ech3
Even more Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:57 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

> Recently invested in 2x 1.5Tb drives so I can have one complete copy offsite.

I do the same thing.

My entire collection exists (in duplicate) on two external hard drives. One is on my desktop, the other in my safe deposit box at the bank.

Every month or so I swap them and sync up new titles, changes, etc.

Craig Shipley

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:33 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« ech3 » wrote:
> Recently invested in 2x 1.5Tb drives so I can have one complete copy offsite.

I do the same thing.

My entire collection exists (in duplicate) on two external hard drives. One is on my desktop, the other in my safe deposit box at the bank.

Every month or so I swap them and sync up new titles, changes, etc.

Hey guys, I work for Symantec in the Enterprise space as a "backup guru". I don't deal too much with our Norton products (that's consumer product) but you might want to take a look at our Norton Ghost product, which is derived from our Enterprise-class Backup Exec System Recovery (BESR) for Desktops product; it's funny but the two products have the exact same MSRP but BESR has better features. I won't bore you with a bunch of marketing fluff, but the BESR product has saved my bacon several times. You can configure it to backup when data is added by a certain amount (like when you rip a bunch of CD's to that folder) and you can have multiple destinations for your backups (basically anywhere Windows can write a file can be a BESR destination). if you want a trialware version of BESR to play with, go here and get a copy: www.backupexec.com and go to the Trialware link. if ya like it or have questions about it, let me know.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2021 CBACK.de