EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Yanni In Words

Jon
One of the Coolest Member

norway.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:54 am    Yanni In Words Reply with quoteBack to top

I just finished reading this book from 2003 about the career of Yanni. Very interesting book which started with his life in Greece where he was a great swimmer. He then went to the US in 1972 and lived the happy rock and roll life in the band Chameleon before he started his solo career in the 80s. He wasn't very happy with the way Private Music and Peter Baumann treated him, and he felt they never really believed in him and backed him up.

Of course there is a lot of info on his 9 year relationship with Linds Evans in the book, and then lots of writing about his big breakthrough in the 90s with Acropolis and Tribute. In 1998 Yanni went into a depression which took quite a while to get out of. The last chapter of the book is called "creativity" and is the only chapter where I feel Yanni goes a little overboard with his philosophical theories about life and love.

But the book is really worth a read.

Anyone else?

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
RemoteViewing81

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:40 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I'll have to look for that. When Yanni lived here in Minneapolis back in the day, I took Bass lessons from the Chameleon Bass player.( I wanted to be the next Jaco Pastorius Rolling Eyes ) I thought Private Music was the best when it first started out. Too bad it didn't last.

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
Jon

norway.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:32 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I think Private had quite a few good albums all the way between 1985 and 1994, closing in with Yanni's Acropolis in '94. But of course, the early 90s wasn't exactly big for them; 91 had O'Hearn's Indigo and Yanni's In Celebration Of Life, 92 had Yanni's Dare To Dream and The TD and O'Hearn collections.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2021 CBACK.de