EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Gandalf (A) - The Painter of Musical Landscapes

René

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:19 pm    Gandalf (A) - The Painter of Musical Landscapes Reply with quoteBack to top

From Austria, Gandalf (quoted from the website) can be called a "PAINTER OF MUSICAL LANDSCAPES", he is a composer, musician and producer of meanwhile numerous album releases. His name originated from J.R.R.TOLKIEN
Soul Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:35 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Late call, but did you get the autograph. Question
Craig Shipley
One of the Coolest Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:28 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I was a big Gandalf fan up until around the STANDING STONES release as my taste must have changed (couldn't have been his music, oh no... Very Happy ) and it went more in a prog-rock direction, whereas his music went more newage-ish than it already was (the electronics were getting down-played, which didn't help). But up until that, I loved most everything he did, as there were some releases that were kinda "contractual obligational" in their sound or just too 'precious' (Gandalf & Galadriel). But you just can't go wrong with the epic To Another Horizon (got it playing right now and still love the doom 'n gloomy 'Tron & synths in 'Natural Forces Getting Out Of Control'), Visions, Magic Theatre and Journey To A Long Forgotten Kingdom. If you are looking for his most Tangerine Dream-ish one, The Universal Play is the one that you want to check out.
OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
sparrow

scotland.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:47 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

IMO he's made the same album on his last six or so ....I do like some of his music but it's too 'nice'
OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
VCO1

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:13 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« sparrow » wrote:
IMO he's made the same album on his last six or so ....I do like some of his music but it's too 'nice'

I agree with the first part of your remark. There's hardly any difference anymore between his last x albums. Which is a pity, since in his early work he showed some great talent.
I'm also getting a bit bored by his latest concerts. Again, the early ones -- where he was playing with a full band -- were terrific. But his solo (or duo) performances are a bit too minimalistic for me.
Still hoping he'll return to forms one day (i.e. get his musical friends in again and starts jamming!).

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
FSP Marcel
Even more Cool Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:32 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Luckily I saw him about 10 years ago (or something like that) when he played in Utrecht with band. It was and still is one of the best concerts I saw. Drummer, flutist, minimoog on the piano, lots of guitars next to him. It was excellent.
His first ten albums (give or take) are excellent, synth music with a proggy end (but missing the changes in time measurements).
Would pay big money to see such a concert again.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Tropylium
Cool Member

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:49 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Quick question, what album is the piece "Cosmic Traveller" from? I came across it on a compilation and it's pretty good.
Richard S.
Very Cool Member

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:55 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Tropylium » wrote:
Quick question, what album is the piece "Cosmic Traveller" from? I came across it on a compilation and it's pretty good.

Barakaya.

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2021 CBACK.de