EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

The Looper isn't a Hooker...

arronizlive
One of the Coolest Member

mexico.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:13 pm    The Looper isn't a Hooker... Reply with quoteBack to top

A recent discussion on the "Tools" a musician has at his/her disposal, and the use of them in live shows, made me post this topic...

Many should have known the title of the topic comes from the album Dig-it, by K.S. ... And fits perfectly... The synthesis of sound and the way "Synthesizers" help develop it, grew too fast, so the normal fans could not even understand what a synth. is, in many cases, ... they just enjoy the music...

The real problem is when a group / musician takes his machines to the stage... (without entering a long and boring description), many here at EMportal, perfectly know what a Sequencer, a Looper, and an arpegiator do to the music...

Basically, you play a key, after complicated programs, and the result is a fantastic otherwordly sound coming out of it... Though, your fingers apparently aren't moving at all...

This by many could seem suspicious, and think it all comes from a pre-recorded tape... But what they are indeed witnessing, is the communication of man with the machines... no cheats here!

By far the public is allowing this as "Natural" ... You can see places crowded with thousands and thousands , perfectly knowing there are no "Real" instruments on stage (i.e. Underworld, etc.)...

But It is the lack of knowledge on the way keyboards function, the real problem, People who know that, can attend a concert by T.D., J-M. J. , Vangelis ... or whatever, and ENJOY the music, Many of the musicians do what their hands allow them to do... but some attendants hear MUCH more than what they SEE, and feel cheated... perhaps part of the guilt comes from the artists, not explaining this to the crowds...

Playback, mimic... These are more common on pop music, and even some dare NOT to be the real singers... THAT is cheating...

Not saying everyone's a saint... just defending the right of an E. Musician to take all his tools to the stage... ...right?

Wink

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
sraymar

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:44 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

They have karaoke bars, singing to canned musak of over familiar songs, and people don't have any kind of a problem with that. So why should there be a problem with an artist performing original material(some made up right on the spot - in the moment creativity folks!) interacting live with sequencers, loopers and such?

Steve

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
arronizlive

mexico.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:45 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« sraymar » wrote:
They have karaoke bars, singing to canned musak of over familiar songs, and people don't have any kind of a problem with that.
Steve

Yep... I believe it is because they know what they are paying for...

but if someone attends a concert, he/she sees the musician does not move a finger and he/she doesn't know what an arpegiator is... That person is going to come home and say "They were playing tapes..."

A simple explanation by the artist could avoid this... Cool

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
pjtmusic

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:47 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

In the past (1980's) I have played live to backing tapes, as at the time I did not have the equipment to do otherwise.

Strangely enough, now that I do have the tools, it would still appear from an audience view that I would still l not doing much.

A finger on the controller keyboard will play a sequence and change key with one movement. One chord on my controller keyboard will unleash a massive atmospheric pad that appears to be several things at once.

Watching me use a mouse to interface with the laptop that does the rhythm parts is hardly exciting stage craft.

What to do? I'm not sure that explaining to the audience would go down that well.

"Good evening BIRMINGHAM (pause for massive applause) before we start I'd like to spend a couple of hours explaining computer music programming. Right, on the video display at the back of the stage you can see my computer screen. Now this is some software called FL Studio and if I click this button I can program a sequence of notes into this piano roll that you now see, so that the Minimoog VST software synth that is now on the screen can play them back as a bass line.
Now if I ............ Very Happy

Last edited by pjtmusic on Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
Eric G
Even more Cool Member

sweden.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:37 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

You are so right.

redphil

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:37 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« arronizlive » wrote:
« sraymar » wrote:
Steve

but if someone attends a concert, he/she sees the musician does not move a finger and he/she doesn't know what an arpegiator is... That person is going to come home and say "They were playing tapes..."

During his Synergy gig in Europe a couple of years ago Larry Fast did exactly what you suggest . He spent a couple of minutes (only) explaining and demonstrating how it was possible that one man could play what he was playing live. Well worth the effort.

ambientlive

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:44 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Good old Bruno in Fame

the glimmer room
Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:55 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

John, i so looked up to good old Bruno, i never worked out how his dad being a new york cabbie could buy all those synths and still eat! i remember one episode where he had to write a lullaby for his niece or something and from what i can remember it was really quite good.
now where did i put those leg warmers.

Andy

sraymar

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:55 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« arronizlive » wrote:
« sraymar » wrote:
They have karaoke bars, singing to canned musak of over familiar songs, and people don't have any kind of a problem with that.
Steve

Yep... I believe it is because they know what they are paying for...

I remember seeing Steve Roach perform a couple years back for the first time after listening to his CDs for years and I was a little disappointed in how he went about it. He had a little midi keyboard to his left on a stand with another controller with sliders and knobs, and a laptop above that. He would play a chord or just trigger a sample or two then head over to his mixer and adjust some parameters there, then over to his effects on his right and tweek a little bit there as it all looped away. He kept repeating the process over and over. He did have a percussionist playing with him for more realism, and he sampled and tweeked the percussion too.

Now I'm a musician and I could tell what was going on because I understand the machineary and the process but I was hoping to see more keyboard work, but to the average listener he did look busy anyway. He picked up a guitar yet keeping his back to the audience sitting way behind his rig, and also blasted a huge note through his digeridoo. Of course the whole time there was alot of video going on around him for the totally stoned. Nobody seemed to complain, and he got a rousing round of applause afterwards. It also was a continuous performance of sound that went on for almost two hours.

I think ambient audiences are a little more clued in to the fact that those artists aren't about playing as much as tweeking, and they're more interested in the results and how much of a buzz via sound they get from it, like an audio narcotic. You have to keep in mind what your audience's expectations are. If they want more than you sitting at a laptop pushing a key on your controller from time to time you have to step up to the plate and deliver by more playing or tweeking, look busy. Bring in other equipment and/or musicians if necessary. Also, people these days don't utilize tapes much anymore. CDs and mp3s are more the standard, both of which are easily triggered by computers so if you have one on stage you're already suspect in advance. Keep those hands active.

Steve

ambientlive

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:04 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

This is why I have my screen facing the audience as much as possible.
They can see I'm changing 5 things per second.

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2021 CBACK.de