EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Philip Glass - Candyman

Thomas
Even more Cool Member

norway.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:40 am    Philip Glass - Candyman Reply with quoteBack to top

Today I bought Candyman (I am a huge fan of Clive Barker). I have not watched the movie yet, but I saw in the interviews that Philip Glass wrote the music. Is not he an EM artist? Anyone heard this soundtrack?
I want to listen to it, but it is too late at night for me to put on a film like Candyman now, hehe. Scary movie Shocked

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
Vignoble @ Co.
Site Admin

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:49 am    Re: Philip Glass - Candyman Reply with quoteBack to top

« Thomas » wrote:
Today I bought Candyman (I am a huge fan of Clive Barker). I have not watched the movie yet, but I saw in the interviews that Philip Glass wrote the music. Is not he an EM artist? Anyone heard this soundtrack?
I want to listen to it, but it is too late at night for me to put on a film like Candyman now, hehe. Scary movie Shocked

A kind of. Actual his music is classified as minimal music (if you are familiar with it). Now and then he is using electronics. I have seen the film Koyaanisqatsi: Life out of Balance for which he wrote the music.

www.myspace.com/emportalinfo

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
Thomas
Even more Cool Member

norway.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:17 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I see. I am not too familiar with the genre "minimal music" although a lot of ambient EM can be considered minimal music. I look forward to hear it when I watch the movie.
Vignoble @ Co.
Site Admin

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:18 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Thomas » wrote:
I see. I am not too familiar with the genre "minimal music" although a lot of ambient EM can be considered minimal music. I look forward to hear it when I watch the movie.

Keep us posted Thomas Smile

www.myspace.com/emportalinfo

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
Thomas
Even more Cool Member

norway.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:21 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Vignoble @ Co. » wrote:
« Thomas » wrote:

Keep us posted Thomas Smile

I will! Smile

qwave
Waldorfian

germany.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:35 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Koyaanisqatsi was my first encounter to his music, now I have plenty of his CDs. I like his pure minimalistics works more thenthe newer ones.
Seeing the Koyaanisqatsi movie and listening to the music shows, that there would be no better way to enforce the powerof these pictures better then by having his music as score to glue the cuts together.

To me Koyaanisqatsi is the second best movie. Number one is 2001 for me (but skipping the monkey part).

"Das Plagiat ist vielleicht die aufrichtigste Form der Verehrung." Alfred Polgar (†1955)

cucamonga
Even more Cool Member

spain.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:25 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't consider Philip Glass as an EM musician. His works are more concentrate on minimal and contemporary music. He uses to be more related with people like John Adams, Reich, Shankar etc... The use of electronic instruments is just a way of making it but not as a main task.

About Candyman soundtrack I have to say is a great cd. This release came out much later than the film (the film I believe is from early 90 and the soundtrack it was released 2 or 3 years ago). Actually in the cd are included the soudtrack of Candyman and Candyman II. Also by Glass.

Thomas
Even more Cool Member

norway.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:39 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« cucamonga » wrote:

About Candyman soundtrack I have to say is a great cd. This release came out much later than the film (the film I believe is from early 90 and the soundtrack it was released 2 or 3 years ago). Actually in the cd are included the soudtrack of Candyman and Candyman II. Also by Glass.

Did not know it was out on CD. That is awesome! Smile

somnarium
Cool Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:11 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I did not know Philip Glass did the music to Candyman! Will have to track this down. My favourite PG works are:
Passage (with Ravi Shankar)
Koyaanisqatsi (full version)
Heroes & Low Symphonies

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
cucamonga
Even more Cool Member

spain.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:02 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

There is sooo much music to discover from Glass. And if you check his complete works you will see he has much more stuff never released than released.
So, considering that he has quite a big discography means really nothing compared with his private catalogue. Shocked

Christian Welde

norway.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:26 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I have seen Candyman, and I remember that the music was "haunting", it stuck with me some time after. Also, the first time I saw the movie, it really scared me...! Mad

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger    
Goldsmithnut

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:33 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Very nice haunting creepy music, I like it alot.

sd Smile

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
Sonic Steve
Cool Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:54 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

One of my favorite soundtrack albums. Very Happy

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailMSN Messenger    
bachus

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:43 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« qwave » wrote:

To me Koyaanisqatsi is the second best movie.

I certainly rate it near the top too.

And I feel that Glass's opera Satyagraha is the best to come out of the second half of the 20th century even though I am not in general a big fan of minimalism. (Satyagraha is non-electronic however.)

rob
Cool Member

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:03 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

He has done quite a lot OST recordings, I think Mishima is his best, but also The Hours, Dracula and Kundun.
His music becomes part of the film experience, but the real strength lies in the fact that the score looses no power when listened to with eyes closed. Smile

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2014 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2014 CBACK.de