EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

David Parson In The Footsteps of Padmassambhava..Legit??

betawave
Very Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:00 pm    David Parson In The Footsteps of Padmassambhava..Legit?? Reply with quoteBack to top

Im hoping the massive amount of em listeners here can let me know if this
David Parsons release on Amazon titled In the Footsteps of Padmassambhava is a legitimate release.

Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/Parsons-In-Footsteps-Padmasambhava/dp/B0060SNE36/ref=sr_1_13?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1339498494&sr=1-13

It is only available for download which I am not fond of but nevertheless sounds fantastic compositionally.

Can anyone vouch that this is actually one of Davids releases?

Too bad Mr Parsons doesnt have a website as it would be nice to have an actual database of his releases. I admire his singular unique style.

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
EM154
Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:05 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Gregory,
This I believe is the classical David Parson and not the New Zealander.
Bert would probably know more than I about this.
If you Google David Parsons you will see what I mean.
Planned Record confusion??

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
betawave
Very Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:14 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« EM154 » wrote:
Hi Gregory,
This I believe is the classical David Parson and not the New Zealander.
Bert would probably know more than I about this.
If you Google David Parsons you will see what I mean.
Planned Record confusion??

Sorry BEG to differ.

Did you listen to the music?

Its electronic and has the atypical David Parson Hindu/Tibetan influence all over it.

Plus it says David Parsons not Parson on the Amazon page.

I think this must be unreleased David Parsons music never before released on cd. Btw the label listed on Amazon states it was released on White Cloud which is I believe... a New Zealand based label..

Funny not a sole here has even made mention of this release....

I guess its not the typical berlin school variety so therefore no interest here.....

Shame it is beautiful thought evoking electronic music!!

Last edited by betawave on Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

phaedra2008
One of the Coolest Member

australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:14 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Unfortunately the New Age wave was too overwhelming to consider anything with mystic Indian titles or names, whales, nature sounds, aural syrup and chants were not for everybody.

But the New Age genre facilitated the release of some great music too.
This David Parsons I would have never looked at but curiosity took me to amazon, the music is great and I would buy it if available as CD or at least flac.

The White Cloud labels is Jon Mark's and I have have a few CD's on it like Rudy Adrian's Healing lake and John Stanford's Deep Space.
Looks like now they release mainly mp3 which helps me close the White Cloud door.
Here is an extract from the Naxos website:
White Cloud is "The brainchild of Jon Mark [of Mark Almond Band fame], this label offers ambient, soft jazz, Celtic and world music, combining both contemporary and traditional styles.

Musicians and composers from the Southern Hemisphere reflect the traditions of their ancestors and the beauty of the landscapes of their home countries. "

A great example of synth/guitar prog music lost in the New Age sea is this Gurumander & Friends-Blue Star from 2003, just check it out:
http://www.invinciblemusic.com/blue-star

CDr only from CD Baby/Universe and others.

grantcorp

sweden.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:16 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Hey betawave, thanks for the heads-up, I pounced on this album and the two related ones the moment I read this. If this isn't Parsons' work it is the best impostor I have ever heard.

Being made available by Naxos, who took over White Cloud, I can only assume these to be archival recordings pumped out by a corporation looking to capitalize on any available assets rather than it being a focused and enthusiastic release but I could of course be wrong...

Anyway, thanks a lot for this great find!

betawave
Very Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:20 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Hey,

No problem. It is indeed or was Jon Marks label and they did put on some gem releases.

I cannot believe someone even mentioned Gurumander & Friends!

Christ that's as odd as they come on this board.

That release the Blue Star is exceptional space based rock/electronic music with a tad of the Floyd influence thrown in. Recorded in the early 1980's and finally released on a cdr ion 2003 with none other than Synchestra i.e. Ed Van Fleet on keys and guitar!

I agree the Parsons SHOULD have been released on a cd even a cdr would have sufficed.It is a brilliant release like all his catalog. As for syrupy mystic new age that is one owns subjective opinion. There are always exceptions to every genre.

Last edited by betawave on Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bert

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:32 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

sorry guys,
been really sick for a couple of days, hence the late reply.

The title mentioned here by Gregory (referring to an Indian Buddhist teacher who took Buddhism to Tibet) is the 2nd track of a Parsons album David send me years back called "Dhauladhar Dreaming";

I know for years Jon Mark and David Parsons haven't been on friendly terms since Jon started selling their collaborative 2 albums without David's permission through is Naxos site.

In addition, I know Celestial Harmonies has made arrangements to release David's "Atmanaut", that is supposed to be a 2-CD, for a while but a firm date is not yet set.

EM154
Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:37 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

But is it THE David Parsons?
Or as grantcorp suggested, someone trying to rip him off?
Despite the limited MP3 sound, it does sound abit like older David Parsons stuff.

Bert

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:38 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

yes, it's him, despite the very shitty mp3 quality.
I wonder if David's label Celestial Harmonies can do something about this whole release, as this great musician deserves 100 times better.

EM154
Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:38 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Well Gregory.....looks like you were right!
Unfortunately for us David Parsons fans the MP3 sound quality is as Bert says is shitty.
Maybe Bert can persuade David to release these as legitimate releases in the future.
And a new release soon too.

Jon

norway.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:18 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

David Antony Clark was also on White Cloud. I have his Before Africa album, quite nice.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
Russell Storey
Even more Cool Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:18 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

David Parsons has never had the credit i think he is due i think its because he has been released on quite a few labels over his lengthy recording career and its difficult to get his entire output (i have some of his very early music on cassette)even in New Zealand his albums have to be ordered as imports and i have never seen anything about him in the NZ music press ( mind you the same can be said for other NZ em artists like Rudy Adrian,Andrew Forrest and my own humble efforts) There is no live scene here and very little radio support exept for overseas internet radio shows.
OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
Bert

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:54 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Russell,

I can only second this unfortunate situation;
it was actually David Parsons who got me in touch with Rudy Adrian over a decade ago as a guy who had quite some talent to display... & how right he was on him Wink

LNerell
Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:29 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Sorry for bringing this thread back from the dead but I just discovered it while trying to find out more info about these albums by David. I thought evyerone might like to know if they are still looking for a better quality copy of In The Footsteps Of Padmasambhava and/or Rainforest Dreaming, I just picked them up from Chandos in ALAC format, they also offer FLAC as well. You can find them here:

https://www.chandos.net/search?zoom_query=David+Parsons&zoom_per_page=24

And I fully agree that David deserves more credit then he has received.

- Loren

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteYahoo Messenger    
iSpace

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:20 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks Loren!

Also the Parsons/Mark 2008 collaboration Sand is downloadable here:

https://www.chandos.net/products/catalogue/NC%200065

Plus Jon Mark's 2007 Solitary Journeys:

https://www.chandos.net/products/catalogue/NC%200063

Though I really wish CDs were available!

B.

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2019 CBACK.de