EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

There's No Tomorrow

Jeff Sampson

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:23 am    There's No Tomorrow Reply with quoteBack to top

(Caveat: This may have already been mentioned - I was absent for a longish while. I did search for a post, but...)

Just finished watching There's No Tomorrow on YouTube. Good animation, good explanation of the situation. I thought I recognized some of the electronic music used in it and when the end credits rolled, lo and behold there were two mentions of Modulator ESP. Congrats, Jez! They picked some great music of yours - fits perfectly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOMWzjrRiBg&feature=youtu.be

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Mac of BIOnighT
Even more Cool Member

italy.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:38 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Congratulations, Modulator Smile

As to the video, I do think there's no tomorrow. Humanity is too stupid and too selfish, there are just too many of us. The only way for humanity to survive is for some super-virus to develop and kill 95% of the world population. Other than that, there is just no hope whatsoever.

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
ech3
Even more Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:23 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

> some super-virus to develop and kill 95% of the world population.

Have you read "The Stand" by Stephen King?

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
Mac of BIOnighT
Even more Cool Member

italy.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:14 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« ech3 » wrote:

Have you read "The Stand" by Stephen King?

His very best (back when he could still write) and my favorite King novel, yes Smile Are you a fan?

However, you are probably familiar with the sci-fi sub-genre of "survivors" or post-apocalyptic. There are many a novel about that subject (The day of the triffids or The Kraken wakes, both by Wyndham, A wrinkle in the skin by John Christopher, to name just a few) and all of them demonstrate that only a new beginning could (might) allow the human race to avoid its mistakes.
Ask any electrician and he will tell you he prefers to do a completely new wiring than fixing a portion of wiring somebody else did. Same thing with the world: it's beyond fixing, it's too big a mess.

Jeff Sampson

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:14 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

or Frank Herbert's "The White Plague"

Mac of BIOnighT
Even more Cool Member

italy.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:21 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Yep, there's a lot. When they're good, they're interesting because of what they say about humanity, the aspects of it they show.
Jeff Sampson

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:28 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Agreed - "The Stand" is my favorite King story. Hadn't known about Christopher - I'll keep an eye out for that.

Also agree that it's only a matter of time for humanity. We can't get off the planet soon enough and, unfortunately, we aren't going to learn how to really live cooperatively - with each other or nature. Sigh.

phaedra2008
One of the Coolest Member

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:02 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Nice music with a kindergarten story.

I saw a documentary on Easter Island, people came by boats from Polynesia and settled finding a lush vegetation and plenty of food.
More came and the cult of statues building started destroying the environment - cut all tress, soil erosion set in, no food, and, no more trees to build rafts to buzz off... yet more came and all got stranded.

After eating every animal and sea creature they could catch they resorted to cannibalism, eventually all died and left behind a deserted island with a bunch of mystical statues. This is what happened everywhere Humans settle, this is the only way we know to evolve.

A few years ago it was estimated that 5 billion humans lived and died on Earth. Today there are many more alive than ever died...

Governments rely on Economies which are based on human greed.
I see no solution as we are not equal: some are lazy, some are disabled, some want to sing and act, etc. but all of these rely on those actually work for a living.

Migration is one way: 6 billion people want to go where the other 1 billion is.

I went to see David Suzuki last year, a presentation about our unsustainable infinite growth model (more production, more profits, more this and that...)
everybody agrees but then we go home and find the bills to pay for our consumption, back to work and cycle continues.

I tired a veggie patch last year, the problem was half the stuff was eaten by worms and snails I have never seen around my place before (or after), then what was left grew at the same time, pig out on the "crop" of tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers for a week, then, nothing, back to supermarkets....

So this cartoon story is good for kids but one day they'll look for a job, they'll be lucky/glad to get one, then a new family starts, bills again to pay.

It's not the carbon or the plastic or anything else, it's us.

The only species that survived for a long time are those who did not evolve:
Crocodiles, Cockroaches, etc. as for humans, isolated tribes who lived the same way for thousands of years.

Here is quote from the Matrix:
Agent Smith:
I'd like to share a revelation that I’ve had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species, and I realised that humans are not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment; but you humans do not. Instead you multiply, and multiply, until every resource is consumed. The only way for you to survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern... a virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer on this planet, you are a plague, and we... are the cure.

And one from the we:
Why do some species survive while others go extinct?
Extinction is often caused by a change in environmental conditions. When conditions change, some species possess adaptations that allow them to survive and reproduce, while others do not. If the environment changes slowly enough, species will sometimes evolve the necessary adaptations, over many generations. If conditions change more quickly than a species can evolve, however, and if members of that species lack the traits they need to survive in the new environment, the likely result will be extinction.

So if we turn around that concept, we change things much faster than the Nature can adapt around our needs.

ambientlive

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:56 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
Today there are many more alive than ever died

totally wrong

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16870579

We surpassed seven billion dead sometime after 8000BC

Today there is one living person to 29 dead

phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:01 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« ambientlive » wrote:
Quote:
Today there are many more alive than ever died

totally wrong

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16870579

We surpassed seven billion dead sometime after 8000BC

Today there is one living person to 29 dead

I guess it is not accurate to "guesstimate" how many lived and died a few thousand years ago, no one counted and every source may be right.
Regardless of the dead, the problem is the constant uptrend of the living as even with 3 billion less say, tomorrow, we'd be back at the same point in a 40-50 years which is nothing in ecologic terms.

dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:04 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

"There´s no tomorrow."

Who cares? There´s still a "today".

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
REWO Records

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:36 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

or this was your 2299 post?

modulator_esp

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:20 pm    Re: There's No Tomorrow Reply with quoteBack to top

« Jeff Sampson » wrote:
(Caveat: This may have already been mentioned - I was absent for a longish while. I did search for a post, but...)

Just finished watching There's No Tomorrow on YouTube. Good animation, good explanation of the situation. I thought I recognized some of the electronic music used in it and when the end credits rolled, lo and behold there were two mentions of Modulator ESP. Congrats, Jez! They picked some great music of yours - fits perfectly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOMWzjrRiBg&feature=youtu.be

Thanks Smile

dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:08 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« REWO Records » wrote:
or this was your 2299 post?

Thanks for counting, I´m losing track.

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Mac of BIOnighT
Even more Cool Member

italy.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:57 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« dronescape » wrote:

Who cares? There´s still a "today".

Which is exactly the reason (attitude) why there's no tomorrow...

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2014 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2014 CBACK.de