EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Richard Lainhart February 14, 1953 - December 30, 2011

REWO Records
One of the Coolest Member

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:59 pm    Richard Lainhart February 14, 1953 - December 30, 2011 Reply with quoteBack to top

Just got this message on Facebook:

"Dear friends of Richard. This is Richard's wife Caroline Meyers. I have very sad news to report to you all. Richard died yesterday December 30 from complications from surgery on December 22. He struggled valiantly to overcome his infection, but it was not to be. We are all in shock and cannot grasp the idea of his not making music, talking music, teaching, posting and playing. Richard's closest friends and I are planning a memorial service and I will let you know the date and time. I would be most grateful if you have a story about your connection to Richard if you could share it here and we can bring all your thoughts to the memorial when it happens. I never thought I would write such a Facebook post as this and I beg your prayers for Richard Lainhart, musician and irreplaceable human being."
RIP

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
ianboddy
Very Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:12 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm truly saddened to hear of the news of the death of Richard Lainhart. For those of you who don't know his music just take the time to listen to this truly mesmerising performance of Oraison by Olivier Messiaen. It is quite simply one of the most expressive performances I have ever heard - on any instrument let alone a synthesiser.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vKky73-9yOU

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
bewoest

lithuania.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:12 pm    Re: Richard Lainhart February 14, 1953 - December 30, 2011 Reply with quoteBack to top

I met Richard at Darren Bergstein's Equinoxe 2011 festival. I was very impressed by his musicianship and his visual art skills. It was obvious that he simply has been an unique, talented artist.
My sincerest condolences.

ubikman
Very Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:55 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I was literally just in the process of beginning a thread on this; I've been still reeling from this news, having only found out just a few hours ago.

Eulogies, of course, are for the living, and cannot bring back what has now passed; nevertheless, I am so stunned at the moment that I am at something of a loss of words.

Richard's pedigree as an electronic musician was unquestionable, and his work to this day was an ever-evolving organism of ideas, textures, approaches, and directions. I can now only feel deeply honored that I was able to release his remaining 80s works, Polychromatic Integers, on my label this past year.

The even sadder irony of this news is that Richard & his work remained largely unsung to the general electronic(a) community, despite his being a tireless performer & supporter of the genre; in fact, Richard was one of the fiercest supporters of my efforts with OTP, having attended virtually every performance regardless of his own personal taste, and lending a hand on untold occasions for various technical & a/v matters where they needed addressing. He was primed to be one of the performers at the mini-fest I've been organizing in Philly for late March, and the fact that he now will not be there fills me with immense & profound regret.

Like most artists, under-recognized or not, what we now have left is the legacy of his work to savor & relish.

It's been a tough year for our genre/community, and not exactly the way I wanted to usher in 2012.

RIP.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:27 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh, f*ck!

This is no good way to start a new year.

He will be sadly missed. My condolences to his family and friends.

Luckily, his art will live on. This is of little comfort but...

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
modulator_esp

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:45 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I met Richard several times at the electro-music festivals I attended and performed with him in 2010 and can only say I feel lucky to have made his acquaintance and am incredibly saddened by his early departure from this life Sad

Artemi

russia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:01 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Very sad news. RIP, Richard. Sad

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:28 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« ianboddy » wrote:
For those of you who don't know his music just take the time to listen to this truly mesmerising performance of Oraison by Olivier Messiaen.

Though I belong to the people still unfamiliar with Richard or his work, I'm sad to read these news.

Sad

Sincere condolences from my side as well.

I will check out Richard's music whenever I'll get a chance to, I just wished there would have been a happier occasion to give me this hint...

Vignoble @ Co.
Site Admin

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:12 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Dear Richard,

Yesterday afternoon while finishing some administration work to 'close' the year I picked out a record that is very dear to me and which I had not played for a long time: Gandalf's " Journey to an Imaginary Land". It opens with "Departure", an excellent piece of music which in a certain way became the start of a 'quest' for 'unknown' music that brought me to musicians like Michael Garrison, Robert Schroeder, Baffo Banfi and many others. At that moment I couldn't expect that the same music would have another meaning later on the same day when I learnt the sad news that you passed away. A departure that nobody expected which influenced my view on 2012 in a certain way; a new year with the shadow of 2011. I spent the last hours of last year with my wife and son in the City of Rotterdam and while we walked from the apartment to the river to watch the fireworks a saying of the dutch writer Erasmus displayed in neon and placed on the Library of Rotterdam caught my eye: “heel de aarde is je vaderland” which translated in english means

The whole Earth is your native Country

On behalf of many around the world I think I can say that we will miss you as forum member, friend and musician and wish you a beautiful Journey to an ‘Imaginary’ Land

Farewell Richard

www.myspace.com/emportalinfo

Last edited by Vignoble @ Co. on Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:37 pm; edited 2 times in total

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
Jon

norway.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:22 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

RIP

Didn't know his music though.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
M. Peck

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:04 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I too was shocked to learn of Richard's passing. I had crossed paths with Richard and his wife once or twice in 2009-2010. I know that his presence and music will be missed by many.
OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
betawave
Very Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:51 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I was fortunate to meet Richard a few times at the One Thousand Pulses events in NJ.

I did not get to formally "know" him but I worked as sound engineer at the OTP festival in 2011 and have to admit his performance on the Buchla was one of the many highlights of that days performances.

I just thank the universe for allowing me to partake in his artwork and take in the relevant beauty of something Richard was quite passionate about.

I highly recommend those here whom are unfamiliar with his work take a moment and seek out some of his music it is unique and very thought felt electronic music.

RIP Richard and thank you for sharing your creative muse!!!

Greg

Feb Birthed

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:29 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

R.I.P.

http://vimeo.com/34593269

From a post on FB (not mine):

"Modular: the documentary
R.I.P. Richard Lainhart
February 14, 1953 - December 30, 2011

"We've posted this full-length interview for the many people whose lives were touched by his music. This is the first in a series of extended interviews, which will be produced and released in various formats throughout the production, and following the release, of the film."

I Dream of Wires: Extended Interview Series: Richard Lainhart

--
a couple articles: http://www.macprovideo.com/hub/search?query=Richard+Lainhart

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:14 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Just found this other Lainhart-related link on Facebook, maybe it's of interest (it shurely is for me...)

Richard Lainhart – Introduction to Analog Synthesis

http://ethereallive.wordpress.com/2012/01/18/el014-richard-lainhart-introduction-to-analog-synthesis/

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:46 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Today, looking for something else, I found this nice article on Richard Lainhart on tokafi...

http://www.tokafi.com/news/richard-lainhart-life-as-a-masterpiece/

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2014 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2014 CBACK.de