EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Kees Aerts leaves Groove Unlimited

Vignoble @ Co.
Site Admin

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 3:43 pm    Kees Aerts leaves Groove Unlimited Reply with quoteBack to top

Extracted from the Groove Unlimited newsletter - www.groove.nl

ANNOUNCEMENT

Ron Boots and I started Groove Unlimited in 1995 and built it to what it is today. Unfortunately we have noticed a reduction in sales of Electronic Music over the last few years, which led to my decision to leave Groove as of June 1st. Revenues are just not sufficient for two people. Ron will continue Groove Unlimited (with the help of his wife Monique). In other words, Groove will still be there as your mailorder company, the record label, and the organization of both the E-Live and E-Day festivals. We are parting as friends and I wish him the best for the future. I want to thank everyone with whom I have worked in the past and hope you will keep on supporting Groove.

Kees Aerts

https://twitter.com/emportal

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
Artemi
One of the Coolest Member

russia.gif

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 4:46 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

That's the way the cookie crumbles. Sad Wish Kees all the best with his new endeavors.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
VCO1

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 8:56 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Artemi » wrote:
Wish Kees all the best with his new endeavors.

Which will most likely be playing poker.

Pertou

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 10:29 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« VCO1 » wrote:
« Artemi » wrote:

Truth or sarcasm? The latter option suits no one.

I can't say I supported Groove as much as I wanted throughout the years, but I always thought they did a great job, and I'm happy they found a way to continue. Smile

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
VCO1

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 10:48 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Pertou » wrote:
« VCO1 » wrote:
« Artemi » wrote:

Truth or sarcasm? The latter option suits no one.

http://www.keesaerts.com/index.php

So, truth.

phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 4:16 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Firstly I'd like to thank both Kees and Ron for bringing us a lot of music over the years, both as a mail order shop and also as a Record Label which despite the trends never drifted far from what we recognize as EM.

The personal sacrifices must have been very taxing in carrying flag.
From humble cassettes to well over 200 Groove CD releases, many events and almost twenty years of visionary thinking.

While we whinge about downloads, sound quality, CDr's mp3's, Groove did not compromise and stayed with the good (old?!) CD format.

And thinking about this, no one has ever achieved anything like this, indie labels came and went like Quantum, Ardema, Invisible Shadows, and some still active like Cue, Spheric, Manikin, which all contributed greatly but nothing on this scale.

It's the backstage people like Kees in Groove that make a difference and make things happen..

The first CD on Groove (GR-001, 1997) was Kees' Slices Of Time which sounds nice even today, find it, give it a listen.

So, all the best Kees and thanks for some of those rare CD's you decided to part with a couple of years back Wink

And to Ron and Groove, keep going even if it means scaling down, try reinventing the game.
Dan.

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
softroom
Even more Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 10:29 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

All the best for the future Kees. At least you had a good innings and helped organise events and release music without which some musicians may never have even been heard. As a musician myself seeking ways to make money, I'm impressed you got sufficient revenue to sustain two people for so long - it must mean you were doing something right! Good luck guys!

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
Jon

norway.gif

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 1:06 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

A pity he has decided to leave, but I guess it was just a matter of time. First he ended EMforum.nl, then E-dition Magazine, and now he leaves the label altogether.

Looks like electronic music is not in the best of shape.

That said, I ordered from Groove from time to time, the last time being just last month with TD's Island Of The Fay. So I guess Groove is still the label to use when it comes to ordering EM on CD.

rasperjd
Very Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 1:21 pm    Kees Reply with quoteBack to top

Sad I would just like to add my/our best wishes to Kees and Jesca and their family for the future whatever that may be, or bring. I personally have much to thank Kees ( and Ron and all at Groove) for, and if for nothing else, the BIG laughs we had over the years! Remember the McCartney thing..?!!!! Jeez..that was funny!
Just in case you guys out there don't know...those two at Groove were constantly making fun of me (and me them of course!) every time we met up, teasing, playing jokes, you know the sort of thing. :O)
When we played at Nijmegen, Paul McCartney's 'people' phone dthem so that they could arrange for the McCartney entourage to come and see us play.....Kees and Ron thought it was me playing another joke on them!!!!
Ha! And then when Ron came to me whilst we were setting up during the break and said 'Paul McCartney is at the back of the stage and wants to see you'...you can imagine MY reaction..much shouting and swearing at big Ron (He had to come to me three times and finally brought Kees with him and they 'carried' me (they're BIG guys!) to the back where Sir Paul was waiting...:O) Great, happy memories...Thank you Kees..all my/our very best wishes and thanks once again...you're a star..so there!!!!
Love JD and Co xxxxxxxxxx
And of course great news that Ron will carry on with the flag for Groove...good man!! xxxxxxx

www.johndysonmusic.com

Vignoble @ Co.
Site Admin

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 4:07 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

The fact that we met on several occasions but never had a real chat makes it a bit difficult to 'personalize' however I would like to write a few lines to say 'goodbye' to ‘the other half’ of Groove Unlimited.

April 2004 Groove started emforum.nl; a platform aimed to discuss Electronic Music offering people the 'space' to express their opinions and exchange ideas. You became one of the leading forces and made it a popular place for many of us and for me in particular. I became a frequent visitor of EMforum and it enabled me to broaden my musical mind, opened new doors and in a certain way inspired us to found EMPortal. After 3 years and for reasons mentioned here you decided to close the forum. My daily meeting point vanished so was my source of information.

Being E-dition’s chief editor proved your capability to compile an informative and interesting magazine accompanied by great (sampler) CD’s. The ideal combination for EM devotees but unfortunately high cost forced you to stop publishing.

Apart from being the other mr. Groove you became more and more involved in active music including the ‘obligation’ to appear on stage. While Ron seemed to live his life on the podium you prefered to play a modest role and act low profile. Nothing wrong with that especially if it comes to cooperate in a team like Groove which you did for over 15 years.

I remember only yesterday
Seems like not so long ago
Moving sideways on a shifting stage
Don't know where time seems to go

Cheers Kees!

https://twitter.com/emportal

RemoteViewing81

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 8:46 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for your EM service Kees.

Know when to fold'em....

Craig Shipley

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 6:36 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

As much as I love Groove.nl and the music they provide, I haven't purchased anything directly from them for years and that has been strictly due to their higher prices, coupled with the obscene postage rates to the US (this is true of all continental European nations, it seems, so this is not Groove's fault, but it does factor in to where i spend my money. When P&H equals ~2 CDs, I bail on the sale). I probably would have done more business with them if they ran sales from time to time (ala SMD) or had competitive download prices. Something to think about...

FWIW...

----------------
Now playing: Stewart, Al - The Gypsy & The Rose
via FoxyTunes

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
RemoteViewing81

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 6:55 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

^ Very true this.....

dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:19 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Craig Shipley » wrote:
[...] coupled with the obscene postage rates to the US (this is true of all continental European nations, it seems, so this is not Groove's fault, but it does factor in to where i spend my money. When P&H equals ~2 CDs, I bail on the sale).

[...]

Shipping rates are indeed nothing to blame Groove for, they are in fact obscenely high in Europe, and clearly something to break a small enterprise´s neck with. I had to defend myself for that more often than I care to admit... have I already mentioned the Dollar-Euro exchange rate...?

The benefits of globalisation, I guess.

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
FSP Marcel
Even more Cool Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 11:46 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Shipping rates are not normal anymore, especially when the occasional package gets lost and you have to send it again.
Makes the download option more of a viable option.

Anyway Kees, I wish you the very best in the future.

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2016 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2017 CBACK.de