EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

WTB Martin Newcomb CDs

ubikman
Even more Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:01 am    WTB Martin Newcomb CDs Reply with quoteBack to top

Hello:

Am looking to purchase (or trade for) all CDs by Martin Newcomb, a synthesist & synth collector who released I believe 4 discs some years back.

Please reply either by PM on this forum or to: thousandpulses@verizon.net. Thanks.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
phaedra2008
One of the Coolest Member

australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:26 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

He seems to have had 3 music albums, one samples CD and a DVD about Synth Museum as well as a book on the same topic.
He sells them himself through gemm:
http://www.gemm.com/c/search.pl?field=ARTIST+OR+TITLE&wild=Martin+Newcomb
Give it a shot

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
ubikman
Even more Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:52 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
He sells them himself through gemm

Yes I know; already tried through GEMM - his page hasn't been updated since 2007 (!). An order I placed a week ago has not been received or replied to, so it looks like Martin doesn't check his GEMM account.

I usually do extensive searches before posting here, and all such searches have yielded nada. Smile

So back to...any EMportal forumites willing to part with their copies? I await your word.

phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:20 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Sounds like Martin gave it all up.
I read he closed the Synth museum and sold most of the gear.
All I see on discogs is that it is in the "ambient" style, and from the covers that he used a lot of synths, I wonder how does it sound like, have you heard any of his music?

dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:43 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Martin is now running a studio of his own in a converted shed (there was an article in Future Music or Sound On Sound some time ago). Instead of vintage synthesisers he is now apparently lusting after vintage recording gear and outboard equipment.

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
ubikman
Even more Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:20 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« phaedra2008 » wrote:
Sounds like Martin gave it all up.
I read he closed the Synth museum and sold most of the gear.
All I see on discogs is that it is in the "ambient" style, and from the covers that he used a lot of synths, I wonder how does it sound like, have you heard any of his music?

Yes, I heard Sombre Suite over at a friend's house and was floored; Newcomb's music doesn't fit any definable categories, as it doesn't fit neatly into any of the known "schools" (neither Berlin, U.K., retro or contemporary). His use of synths & electronics is pretty unique, consisting of wildly inventive sounds that sometimes assume rhythms but are more often than not painterly-composed and colorful soundscapes. If you can imagine the more "mainstream' musings of Morton Subotnick crossed with early, exploratory (pre-sequencer) Schulze (and perhaps Node), then that will give you some idea of Newcomb's imaginative stuff.

phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:43 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, I'll add these releases to my searches, see what happens.
thanks for the tip.

ubikman
Even more Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:45 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, I'm happy to report that it looks as if I'll be receiving the 3 Newcomb discs directly from the artist himself after all (via GEMM). Just received notification that they've been placed in the mail...now, the only prob is if they will ever arrive, as postal service for packages coming from the UK remains utterly *horrendous*; two more packages have recently gone missing over the last month. So, we'll see, but I remain optimistic.

phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:39 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Mine are on the way too,
I expect 4: Levenham feeling, Sombre suite, Syndrome & Syntonic variations, I had no reason to buy the Astral ambience which has audio samples.
The post thing is strange as it varies from region to region, I mean for the same standard or registered service.
To Oz, UK post is the fastest and most reliable, US is very slow in getting here, the worse is Germany for me, all 5 items I lost last year were from Germany somehow.
The orders left the UK at the same time, let see the race through and announce the arrivals here

ubikman
Even more Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:36 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

somehow, 'synthonic variations' wasn't listed before when i searched GEMM for newcomb's titles...damn it. situation already rectified, order placed for that one now as well...

phaedra, somehow i suspect that your order might arrive before mine - as i mentioned earlier, packages from the u.k. have either taken upwards of 4 weeks lately, or not shown up at all...i sincerely hope this not be the case for these batches, as they're rarer than hell. anyway, good luck - hope you get 'em soon.

phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:17 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
somehow, 'synthonic variations' wasn't listed before

True, I only knew about it from their email response asking if I want another one not listed.
Good it was listed straight away, see what turns up.
You were chasing John Lakveet's SequenDUAgite, I sent you a PM weeks ago, did you score a copy?

ubikman
Even more Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:07 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« phaedra2008 » wrote:
Quote:
somehow, 'synthonic variations' wasn't listed before

You were chasing John Lakveet's SequenDUAgite, I sent you a PM weeks ago, did you score a copy?

no, never did...been spending too much lately anyway. eventually i'll pick it up.

phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:27 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

All 4 CD's arrived today.
Sampling through them I hear a lot of sounds characteristic of the synths:
VCS3,Minimoog, Moog/Plyfusion/Emu Modulars, Oberheim, ARP, Jupiter 6 & 8 to name the most known ones.
Musically I need to listen to them first, I hear TD, Schulze but with more original stuff.
Thanks for the tip.

ubikman
Even more Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:05 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« phaedra2008 » wrote:
All 4 CD's arrived today.
Sampling through them I hear a lot of sounds characteristic of the synths:
VCS3,Minimoog, Moog/Plyfusion/Emu Modulars, Oberheim, ARP, Jupiter 6 & 8 to name the most known ones.
Musically I need to listen to them first, I hear TD, Schulze but with more original stuff.
Thanks for the tip.

Sure thing. Still haven't received mine yet - damn postal service from the U.K. is truly insane these days. Packages which used to take maybe 2 weeks to arrive now take upwards of 4 or more. Not sure if I'll see my order anytime before mid-March. Sad

VCO1

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:33 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« ubikman » wrote:
Sure thing. Still haven't received mine yet - damn postal service from the U.K. is truly insane these days. Packages which used to take maybe 2 weeks to arrive now take upwards of 4 or more. Not sure if I'll see my order anytime before mid-March. Sad

The other way round ain't much better. After waiting for more than 30 days a parcel from CD Baby with 4 cd's was officially declared 'lost'. On the positive side, CD Baby sent me a new one free of charge (that's excellent customer service!). Hopefully that one will arrive.
Maybe we should start a new thread to discuss the problems with the mail...

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2020 CBACK.de