EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Daniel & Booth - Mutiny

redphil
One of the Coolest Member

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 7:04 pm    Daniel & Booth - Mutiny Reply with quoteBack to top

Messrs. Daniel & Booth are happy to announce the release their new collaborative album Mutiny. The album will be officially launched at E-Day on May 22nd. To order please contact me by pm or at phil@rubycon.demon.co.uk.

The music on the 3 tracks has a darker more experimental edge than the PDB recordings. The guitar is heavier and more in yer face in places, and there are drums on one track, whilst track 3 retains a more relaxed ambient chill out air.

Last edited by redphil on Thu May 20, 2010 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Maff
Very Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 9:37 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Sounds great, looking forward to this.
OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
redphil

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 12:40 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

a video is now up on youtube featuring an edit of the 3 tracks from the Mutiny album.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu_9vla9Ofo

Alvaro

spain.gif

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 5:31 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Sounds interesting.

Two questions:

- I presume it will be available (for the rest of us) after e-Day. Will it be?

- When you talk about drums, do you mean "real" drums?

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
redphil

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:00 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Alvaro » wrote:
Sounds interesting.

Two questions:

- I presume it will be available (for the rest of us) after e-Day. Will it be?

Yes, i'm taking orders from today. For details either pm me or contact phil@rubycon.demon.co.uk

Quote:
- When you talk about drums, do you mean "real" drums?

Weellllll...... I never met our drummer, Tom Baterista, but they sound real to me.......... Smile

Graham

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:46 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Now available on MusicZeit

http://www.musiczeit.com/album.php?album=1473

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
redphil

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:19 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

review from Dave Law at SMD......

The title track begins rather abruptly. A meandering lead floats above a simple percussive loop. The first proper sequence emerges in the second minute. Guitar now becomes the main feature, alternating lead duties with the synth. Of the two though the guitar is more forceful, sometimes really letting rip. The sequence does seem to shape shift more frequently from the twelfth minute, becoming heavier as we go, the guitar making even more of an impact. ‘Rogue Sentinel’ starts with creaking atmos and cosmic shimmers. For the first eight minutes it is all rather relaxing then all Hell breaks loose with the sudden explosion of real drums (courtesy of Tom Baterista) and axe man guitar, taking us much more to Radio Massacre International territory in their full Space Rock mode. I loved it but not sure what the more traditional Berlin School audience will make of it. Gradually things start to subside, the drums and guitar having completely disappeared by the fifteenth minute, leaving us with a four-note loop and electronic effects. A sequence slowly rises in the mix, another lead meandering over the top. The drums make a frantic but very brief return in the twenty third minute, really going berserk but then very quickly subside again as we descend to peaceful shimmers. There is a rather melancholy start to ‘Morphoton’. Fizzing notes add a little detail over the brooding gloom. In the sixth minute a sequence can be heard but it remains very low in the mix. Another tinkling sequence enters but it is all of a rather sedate pace. It is only in the sixteenth minute that things get a little more energetic as a rumbling and rapid high register two-sequence combination make an entrance. They dart all over the place then gradually subside as we get closer to the finish. DL

Seeker_UK
Even more Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:11 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

A really easy way to start the review of this CD would be to bill it as “The CD from Pollard Daniel and Booth without Pollard” but I won’t. As listening progresses, it shows how much more these guys have to offer beyond being just two-thirds of a trio.

Back to the CD. Let’s deal with the aesthetics first. This CD, like all releases from EEMC (and the Pollard, Daniel, Booth) it doesn’t have a five minute Photoshop crimp-off with track and gear list, it has cover ART (a portrait of the artists to be precise; a concept often missing from EM releases and betters quite a few commercial releases I can think of.

Artwork is one thing, but what does it sound like? Well, if you read the description on at least one well known EM download seller’s site, it has “A darker more experimental edge than the PDB recordings” and "in yer face". But, given that their previous recordings as “Wifebeater” and then as “Pylene 50” were dark, claustrophobic and just a bit scary in places, how dark can it be? Well, because I have slightly wussy tendencies, I waited until there was daylight before I played the disk, just in case.

Track 1. “Mutiny”. This album sets it stall out pretty quickly and doesn’t hang around with the usual ‘cosmic’ beginnings – no drones, no noises just straight into the meat of it with some crisp, John Carpenter style, synthetic percussion, a solo sounding like it’s played on Rick Wright’s Farfisa and a single sequence starts which is joined by some subtle effects and given a bit of room to breathe before the percussion morphs into electronic cymbals and paves the way for Michael Daniel’s busy guitar solo which then proceeds to dominate the middle half of the track. This guitar / sequence section is redolent of Hoenig / Gottsching’s “Early Water” but with a heavier guitar sound and doesn’t meander for 45 minutes. The guitar stops, some more FX, a subtle lead line and then we’re back into more of the guitar work-out to the end.

Track 2. “Rogue Sentinel”. This is the ‘odd one out’ on this release. Whisper it softly; this one is not “Berlin School”. It starts off like it is with FX and slowly filtered lines straight and a soft lead that wouldn’t be out of place on “Picture Music” and all very Berliny and dreamy it is too until a couple of cymbal hits and *BOOF* it launches into a power trio workout between (real) drums, fuzz bass and more of that lovely busy guitar. And not that awful leaden four-to-the-floor drumming you normally get with EN either, this is pretty inventive stuff that owes more to Jack DeJohnette than Harald Grosskopf. The overall effect is like Side 1 of Terje Rypdal’s “Whenever I seem to be Far Away”, or if you don’t know that, the nearest EM equivalent would be Richard Pinhas either on his own “Paul Atreides” or on Heldon’s “Perspective IV”. And if you don’t know either of those, shame on you, you should. More sequences and lead synths see the track out before it’s hijacked by a drum flurry and rides out back through the soundscape from the beginning of the track. Phew.

Track 3. “Morphotron”. Calms the whole thing down. No guitar on this one, just silky pads and a slow, lazy sequence that evolves over the 20 minutes joined by other sequences, soft leads and complements the 50 minutes that precedes it Can I add more than that, no, other than to say it sounds like something from Schulze’s more recent period. Not the stand-out track from this album but sounds like it belongs.

So, the summary. Or, the bit you’re more likely to read than the rest. How does it compare to PDB? Is it darker? Should you buy it? Well, it isn’t like PDB - there’s none of that Moog modular shenanigans and, horror of horrors, no Mellotron. I wouldn’t say darker either, just different. Although you can never get away from the gravitational pull of TD or KS when you make sequencer based music, Daniel and Booth haven’t followed a stylistic path of least resistance to make a “PDB-Lite” album. This album has enough familiar elements in it to ‘click’ with fans of EM and then takes a left turn to take you a bit further to give something a bit different and if not immediately satisfying, it will reward with a few listens.

Graham

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:18 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Great review.

by the way, the

"darker more experimental edge than the PDB recordings" and "in yer face"

quotes are from Phil himself on this very thread. Smile

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
Seeker_UK
Even more Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:04 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Graham » wrote:
Great review.

Cheers Graham.

« Graham » wrote:
by the way, the

"darker more experimental edge than the PDB recordings" and "in yer face"

quotes are from Phil himself on this very thread. Smile

It's what he said to me at last week's Awakenings too Wink

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info