EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

who was Monika Froese?

Vignoble @ Co.
Site Admin

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:21 pm    who was Monika Froese? Reply with quoteBack to top

Apart from the credits for the impressive artwork on many of Tangerine Dream's 'early' records there is not much known about this very creative and talented photographer/designer. Imo highly underrated and maybe dominated by the success of her musical husband. Anyway I have always loved her work and therefore highly appreciate not only the music of TD in the seventies and eighties but also the beautiful artwork of their albums especially Rubycon.

Is there anybody here to shed some extra light on this special lady. I have been looking on the internet for several years now but there is not much that you can find.

www.myspace.com/emportalinfo

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
cyberiad2001
Cool Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:34 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

completely agree! TD covers from Virgin era are absolutely fantastic...perfect balance with the music. The early ones by Ed himself weren´t bad either. Zeit and Phaedra are awesome in their gatefold vinyl format...

There´s quite a bit about Monique in the german TV document "Signale aus Swäbische Strasse" from 1976... even a shortish interview of M (in german of course...she talks about Ricochet front cover). I think it is available somewhere in the net.

cheers,
Ami

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Craig Shipley
One of the Coolest Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:01 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Yeah, it's a shame that so little is known about her. Her cover art was just about as enticing as the music on those early TD releases. She needs a documentary.

RIP, dear lady.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
Paul Ellis
Cool Member

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:18 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« cyberiad2001 » wrote:
completely agree! TD covers from Virgin era are absolutely fantastic...perfect balance with the music. The early ones by Ed himself weren´t bad either. Zeit and Phaedra are awesome in their gatefold vinyl format...

There´s quite a bit about Monique in the german TV document "Signale aus Swäbische Strasse" from 1976... even a shortish interview of M (in german of course...she talks about Ricochet front cover). I think it is available somewhere in the net.

cheers,
Ami

While it's not exactly something I do anymore, way back in the day a fair amount of music purchases were based on cover art. I always thought hers were some of the best... (Hi Ami! Wink

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
Craig Shipley

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:33 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Roger that, Paul. The visuals often sold the audio (it also helped if there was kit listed like Moog, Mellotron, ARP and the like somewhere on that cover).

And, uhhh, yes, I bought those Roxy Music LP's for the music, not the girls on the front cover, honest! I hadn't a CLUE about Country Life, it was in a green shrinkwrap!!! (OK, I didn't think I could fool you guys but it was worth the try...)

----------------
Now playing: Shreeve, Mark - Storm Column
via FoxyTunes

Paul Ellis
Cool Member

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:36 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, the whole "Buy it because of the cover" occaisionally worked!

I Love Roxy (Actually, we covered King's Lead Hat for a tribute album recently: )
http://www.burningskyrecords.com/RoxyMusic/Roxyindex.html

Third disc "Roxy Progeny"

Also I still have a weakness for Starcastle even though there's plenty of liabilites there... GREAT covers though if you're into the whole "air-brushed future" look.
Oh, and a Brothers Hildebrandt.

Buuuuuuut yeah. can't afford to go that way anymore + Covers aren't what they used to be + Some of my all time favorites have crap covers.

phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:11 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Monique did not do much work outside TD and little information was ever published.
She was mainly documenting TD's tours, pretty much a family affair.
There were things about her but all links are dead now, looks like all was removed.

I met TD in 1982 after the Perth concert, she was there with a very young Jerome, Schmoelling & Franke.

Monique was withdrawn, mainly observing, I complimented her for the covers, she said thanks without elaborating.

I asked Edgar if they got some time to go around, he said next day they'll be heading to some "rocks", which turned out to be the "Pinnacles"...
Schmoelling was tired, just flew in from Los Angeles hours before the show.

Those were the great days when artwork matched the music.

computerchemist

hungary.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:59 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« phaedra2008 » wrote:
Those were the great days when artwork matched the music.

I couldn't agree more with that sentiment. Music today on the whole is mass-produced, as are the covers. It's all a great big rush by companies ever eager to cash in, where art is just another tick on the profit/loss spreadsheet, just another 4 minute photoshop.
Looking back on TD's cover output in the 70s, I have to admit it was incredibly striking, moreso because a 5" CD cover can't really ever do a 12" square print justice either.

Dave Pearson
computerchemist

http://www.computerchemist.com

Craig Shipley

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:21 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I have taken to putting my LPs with the more impressive artwork into some relatively inexpensive picture frames and hanging them on the wall. Mostly Roger Dean stuff right now, but I do have my three Mark Shreeve LP's framed and ready to swap out as the mood strikes me.

I need to find a clean cover of Kansas's SONG FOR AMERICA...

closetotheborder
Cool Member

finland.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:19 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Craig Shipley » wrote:
Kansas's SONG FOR AMERICA...

I prefer Point of Know Return. I also have Dean/Hipgnosis framing project going on.

Vignoble @ Co.
Site Admin

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:51 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

for some of her work click here

"I would love to see a book about her work and life one day. It would truly be a collection of some of the greatest album art ever"

I second that and can only hope this will come true - this lady deserves a kind of 'statue' for the beautiful pictures she left us.

Vignoble @ Co.
Site Admin

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:10 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

a rather unusual 'medium'

Artemi

russia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:56 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

heh, nice!

hhh
Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:28 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Nice to see that you all appreciate the cover art. Monika's work is, indeed, among the finest album art out there and, like that of Roger Dean and others, it was often the reason I bought certain albums.

This is the main reason I hate to see the advent of downloads as the preferred medium, because you lose out on the overall audio-visual experience. Imagine buying a Yes album with no Dean art. It's just not the same.

At all.

It is for this reason that I continue to release my own work in both CD and .mp3 formats, so that my listeners have the opportunity to experience both my music and my art. It is much more expensive to do it this way, yes, but it is also much more rewarding, knowing that the CD art sets the initial tone/mood of the music. It is (if one buys the CD) the first part of the overall experience and can be quite powerful in its influence, if it is executed tastefully and creatively. Monika was clearly a master at this and I commend all of you for commending her!

Cheers,

hhh

"I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way - things I had no words for." - Georgia O'Keeffe

Vignoble @ Co.
Site Admin

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:48 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

check here

for an excerpt from an interview with Monika Froese

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2014 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2014 CBACK.de