EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

For the Love of Vinyl

Vignoble @ Co.
Site Admin

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:44 am    For the Love of Vinyl Reply with quoteBack to top

"Hipgnosis was the biggest and best design firm for the biggest and best bands of the classic rock era. Formed by Storm Thorgerson and Aubrey Powell in 1968, Hipgnosis was a graphic design studio specializing in creative photography and working mainly in the music business designing album covers for many rock 'n' roll bands including Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Genesis, 10cc, Yes, Peter Gabriel, Black Sabbath, Paul McCartney, Syd Barrett and Styx, among others. For a dozen years Hipgnosis created timeless rock iconography. For the Love of Vinyl is the first book to document their output in detail, focusing on over 60 package designs - from cover to label - written about in entertaining detail by the men who created them. Also included are short essays by musicians (such as Pink Floyd's Nick Mason), artists (Peter Blake) and fellow designers (Paula Scher) on their favorite covers, as well as unseen photographs and ephemera. Complementing it all is a lengthy critical and historical text examining Hipgnosis and its legacy. For the Love of Vinyl will be THE rock book of 2008."

www.myspace.com/emportalinfo

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
RemoteViewing81
One of the Coolest Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:48 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Will have to look for that one... Cool

Do you still play Vinyl Koos? and are there any good EM Vinyl stores online?

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
Vignoble @ Co.
Site Admin

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:16 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« RemoteViewing81 » wrote:
Will have to look for that one... Cool

Do you still play Vinyl Koos? and are there any good EM Vinyl stores online?

To be honest :

I listen to my records from time to time but not very often. I still have all of them and more important I have a 19 year old daughter who is very enthousiastic and happy with the fact that her father has a turntable and a few hundred records. If you can find the time check her column "Digital Medium Phobia" that she wrote under her pseudonym Yia Yia.

"Trust youth to handle them with care and above all with love for music"

http://www.emportal.info/viewtopic.php?t=2404

qwave
Waldorfian

germany.gif

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:04 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Ordered it just a minute ago !
I always loved the Hipgnosis covers so much.

A shame, that the CDs are so small to really show the cover art in an adequate way. But on the other hand, I would have serious problems storing all the music I own as vinyl.

"Das Plagiat ist vielleicht die aufrichtigste Form der Verehrung." Alfred Polgar (†1955)

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
arronizlive
One of the Coolest Member

mexico.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:39 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

WoW!

That must be a Fantastic book worth buying!

And BTW.

I have (almost) all of my Lp's sealed with a sign that says:

"No tocar!, Este disco ya est

Seeker_UK
Even more Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:14 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Is it worth having if you already have "Walk Away Rene"?
OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Vignoble @ Co.
Site Admin

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:17 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Seeker_UK » wrote:
Is it worth having if you already have "Walk Away Rene"?

I can't answer the question as so far I can only judge them by the cover therefore I would like to start with the new one Smile

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2014 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2014 CBACK.de