EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Paul Haslinger

Thomas
Even more Cool Member

norway.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:13 pm    Paul Haslinger Reply with quoteBack to top

Can anyone recommend some of Paul Haslinger's soundtracks? Are they worth listening to on their own?
OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
Jon
One of the Coolest Member

norway.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:56 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh, where to start...

Here are the soundtrack albums by Haslinger I know about:

Shoot Em Up (complete score)
Vacancy (complete score)
Sleeper Cell (score and other artists)
Crank (12 minute promo)
Into The Blue (promo/bootleg)
The Girl Next Door (some score on the soundtrack. Also promo/boot available)
Underworld (complete score)
Blue Crush (bootleg)
Crazy/Beautiful (bootleg, only one track on the official CD)
Infinity's Child (complete score)
Planetary Traveller (complete score)

Of these, I would recommend Sleeper Cell, The Girl Next Door promo, Blue Crush, Infinity's Child and Planetary Traveller. I haven't heard Shoot Em Up and Vacancy. Underworld is hard to listen to, but you may like it. Crank and Into The Blue are weak efforts.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
Thomas
Even more Cool Member

norway.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:13 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for this insight, Jon Smile
I'd really like the soundtrack for Vacancy. A great film, but I did not realise it was Paul Haslingers music when I watched the movie.
In addition to the ones you mentioned I see he has a new score out called Death Race:

Thanks for your recommendations. Think I will order one of his CDs.

EricDraven

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:12 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Unfortunately, Haslinger's soundtrack and solo efforts leave alot to be desired. I used to snap up anything that had Haslinger's name on it until, I realized that his identity as a solo artist was nil. Listening to his output, you can basically say, it could be anyone. And judging by recent studio scoring sessions photos, [with full orchestra] he wants to be the next Chris Franke [another EM god who's fallen from grace]. The only halfway decent [if you like loud, clunky electronics] soundtrack by him is 'Underworld', and that's only because of Lustmord's involvement. And of his solo albums, I'd recommend 'Coma Virus-Hidden' because it's an album that sounds close to early TD. It's the only Haslinger album I have in my collection , the rest, I got rid of.

Last edited by EricDraven on Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:44 am; edited 3 times in total

Jon

norway.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:36 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Thomas » wrote:
Thanks for this insight, Jon Smile
I'd really like the soundtrack for Vacancy. A great film, but I did not realise it was Paul Haslingers music when I watched the movie.
In addition to the ones you mentioned I see he has a new score out called Death Race:

Thanks for your recommendations. Think I will order one of his CDs.

Wow, I didn't know Death Race was out yet (Aug 19), and even on the Intrada label, who usually releases orchestral music.

Here are pictures from the scoring sessions:

http://www.scoringsessions.com/news/150

Jon

norway.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:45 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« EricDraven » wrote:
Unfortunately, Haslinger's soundracks and solo efforts leave alot to be desired. I used to snap up anything that had Haslinger's name on it until, I realized that his identity as a solo artist is nil. Listening to his output, you can basically say, it could be anyone. And judging by recent studio scoring sessions, [with full orchestra] he wants to be the next Chris Franke [another EM god who's fallen from grace]. The only halfway decent [if you like loud, clunky electronics] soundtrack by him is 'Underworld', and that's only because of Lustmord's involvement. And of his solo albums, I'd recommend 'Coma Virus' only because it's the only album that sounds closest to TD. It's the only album I have in my collection by him, the rest, I got rid of.

I partly agree. I would like to hear some music by him that sounds similar to his TD period (86-90), but I doubt that will ever happen. But he is interesting from time to time, either on his solo albums or on some of his soundtracks. Sleeper Cell for instance includes some really beautiful tracks.

redphil

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:49 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

At his klem gig a few years back he was staying in the same hotel as myself and several other attendees. After the gig we were all in the bar and he came in and sat with us and had a couple of beers. One topic of conversation was his soundtrack work (he had interrupted work on one to fly over for the gig), and he said that he was often 'sub contracted' by other more known hollywood composers who had taken on a score but were actually too busy to actually do it. So he produced some soundtracks for a session fee with the other guy's name going on the film and any release as if they'd done it. he said it was quite a common thing.
So there are soundtracks out there that are actually his but you don't know what they are.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:34 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

"Coma Virus" sounding partly like TD... uhm, well, what period, then?
Frankly, I can

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
EricDraven

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:45 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Got both 'Tycho Brahe' and 'Mundus Subterraneus' both awesome, in spite of Haslinger's involvement. Who knows how much Haslinger contributed to those releases. I know he didn't play on every track. What I meant was, that 'Coma Virus' was the closest Haslinger sounded to being purely electronic in the vein of TD's earlier experimental/ambient works. And yes, Lustmord as well.

cucamonga
Even more Cool Member

spain.gif

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:06 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Coma Virus is also the only one I have from him. A good one but nothing really special.
treibklang

germany.gif

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:56 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Cool, I did not know Haslinger did so many albums. Only own "Future Primitive", which I enjoyed a lot. Didn't hear much TD in there.

dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:08 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« cucamonga » wrote:
Coma Virus is also the only one I have from him. A good one but nothing really special.

Exactly my thoughts. After an impressive start boredom took over its reign...

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Jon

norway.gif

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:57 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« redphil » wrote:
At his klem gig a few years back he was staying in the same hotel as myself and several other attendees. After the gig we were all in the bar and he came in and sat with us and had a couple of beers. One topic of conversation was his soundtrack work (he had interrupted work on one to fly over for the gig), and he said that he was often 'sub contracted' by other more known hollywood composers who had taken on a score but were actually too busy to actually do it. So he produced some soundtracks for a session fee with the other guy's name going on the film and any release as if they'd done it. he said it was quite a common thing.
So there are soundtracks out there that are actually his but you don't know what they are.

Which year was this? I guess it was during his years as a protege for film composer Graeme Revell from 1997 to the early 2000s. Haslinger often worked with him during those years and learned a lot about orchestral film music, and I guess he did some ghost-writing for him too.

redphil

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:04 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Jon » wrote:
[
Which year was this? I guess it was during his years as a protege for film composer Graeme Revell from 1997 to the early 2000s. Haslinger often worked with him during those years and learned a lot about orchestral film music, and I guess he did some ghost-writing for him too.

1996, so that would probably fit.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2014 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkil

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2014 CBACK.de