EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Worst Cover Art

Artemi
One of the Coolest Member

russia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:52 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

It's not bad, at least.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Phrozenlight

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:02 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

just nice

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
Alvaro

spain.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:10 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Not bad. I like it... Embarassed

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
bewoest

lithuania.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:18 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Alvaro » wrote:
Not bad. I like it... Embarassed

O.K. here you are the solving: It is just a made-up. I tried out how long it would take to create an average EM artwork.

The usual ingredients for such a design are as follows:
    black background
    Space image in the middle (actually the present image should have more a centered shape of a circle)
    Artist's name on top, left-aligned
    Title of the release at the bottom, right-aligned
    Sci-Fi-typography
    Text with 3D effects (optional)

It took me about a minute to find the image in the internet, than about three minutes to contrive the titles (which was the fun part and also the most difficult part, since I didn't wanted have something which was already taken), finally putting together the whole design took me about another minute.

However, apparently my idea that this thrown together artwork would be an obvious hoax was a bit too heady I am afraid. I'd like to apologise in case I've hurt somebody with my cynicism... Embarassed

dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:01 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« bewoest » wrote:

[...]

finally putting together the whole design took me about another minute.

[...]

If that isn´t effective work, I don´t know what is. Almost Warholian...

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:01 am    Re: Worst Cover Art Reply with quoteBack to top

« bewoest » wrote:
Good or bad...?

Really it's nothing wrong with the concept apart from being pretty common now.
The black horizontal bands are very effective in adapting a landscape image into a square shape, Syngate use it all the time, Hypnos come close with the added vertical narrower bands.
The text distribution is fine, the font suits the text adding to the overall graphic effect as does the text colour gradient with colours from the image.

The bad part is the text embossing effect, it does not suit the font, it's too wide and ruins the whole thing.
A sharp 2D text on black is more effective.
So yes, a practical quick and dirty montage I also resort to at times with old cassettes worth restoring for audio/artwork. I'll drop some examples here later on.

dronescape

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:04 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Pertou » wrote:
These guys auditioned to play in TD's live band...

... unfortunately they failed, as they actually played an instrument.

[end of EMPortal humour] Mr. Green

The handless organist? That reminds of the elderly guy I once bought a Farfisa Compact Duo from...

Stephen

dronescape

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:11 am    Re: Worst Cover Art Reply with quoteBack to top

« bewoest » wrote:
Good or bad...?

An album I wouldn´t even bother to look at twice, let alone listen to it.

I would have used a "Gothic" type of font, though, to make it look even more ugly. Bold, and capitals, of course.

Stephen

phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:59 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:

Shocked
Oh man, what chance would you give then to those flat, black & plain clam shells Laughing Question

Pertou

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:33 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't like it at all. Personally I'm really tired of those cheap looking computer generated outer space images. This even has a horrible font setting. I wish many of those EM/BS etc. artist made some covers that really stood out. Most of them are ugly or just boringly predictable.
HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:53 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Perhaps the questions should be more fundamental then:

-Should the artwork be suggestive of the music at all
-Is a CD cover (12cmx12cm) size enough for true art, detail, readable text, etc
-Should artwork be specifically designed for the intended purpose rather than shrinking images
-With the ongoing mp3 only release push the artwork tends to be embedded in the metafile, usually 300x300 pixels, what is that good for?
-Based on the above, does artwork still matter or is it just a cheap "nice wrap" avoiding an otherwise plain package.

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:00 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Ha-ha!

Knowing that You're a designer, Bernhard, I already suspected that it was You who made it (that's why I asked...)

Wink

Five minutes is quite quick, I guess. Still, there's one little detail where the calculation is a bit...deceiving...or whatever:

« bewoest » wrote:
(...)It took me about a minute to find the image in the internet (...)

I think, if there is any, the main attraction of the cover (or at least the element that appeals to me personally...) is the "unearthly lights" part in the illustration. I think this element has been applied with some care, and even using all the photoshop filters I know, I certainly would need far longer than just one minute to come up with something comparable. So, to be fair, the time that was spent by the anonymous illustrator You gently borrowed the image from should be considered...

By the way, it's of course no problem at all to compose covers without any 'space kitsch' in the same way, and in a very short time, - especially if one is a profesional designer with some experience and training...

If You don't need it, can I use that for one of my next releases, by the way...?

Wink

Artemi

russia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:15 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« phaedra2008 » wrote:
-Should the artwork be suggestive of the music at all

Certainly. At least for concept works.

« phaedra2008 » wrote:
-Is a CD cover (12cmx12cm) size enough for true art, detail, readable text, etc

In most cases, yes. Not as much as an LP cover of course.

« phaedra2008 » wrote:
-Should artwork be specifically designed for the intended purpose rather than shrinking images

It's always nice to have something unique. But some artists seem to be pretty lazy in this particular regard. But that's quite understandable: it really takes time and sometimes money.

« phaedra2008 » wrote:
-With the ongoing mp3 only release push the artwork tends to be embedded in the metafile, usually 300x300 pixels, what is that good for?

Online MP3 sales *might* eventually kill the concept of artwork.

« phaedra2008 » wrote:
-Based on the above, does artwork still matter or is it just a cheap "nice wrap" avoiding an otherwise plain package.

For most of today's listeners it's just a cheap nice wrap I'm afraid.

Concerning that spacey cover: I've never had any problems with EM artists using space images etc. After all, it really suits to a lot of EM music, I am a big fan of astronomy, space and all things sci-fi. Sure, it is always great to see some diversity and I think that Progrock musicians (I think I mentioned that already) have been significantly more creative with their artworks than EM artists. Not always, but in general. In other words - a spacey artwork fits some music and it's ok to use it sometimes, but not on every release. And certainly I do prefer more elaborate cover art, even if it deals with space.

dronescape

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:41 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« phaedra2008 » wrote:
Quote:

Shocked
Oh man, what chance would you give then to those flat, black & plain clam shells Laughing Question

"The best design is as little design as possible." (Dieter Rams, designer of Braun´s famous line of audio products in the 1960s and 1970s)

"If we don´t have anything to say we prefer to remain silent." (Ralf Hütter / Kraftwerk)

Stephen

Last edited by dronescape on Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total

bewoest

lithuania.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:43 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
Five minutes is quite quick, I guess. Still, there's one little detail where the calculation is a bit...deceiving...or whatever:

Quote:
« bewoest » wrote:
(...)It took me about a minute to find the image in the internet (...)

Well, granted. However the point is that there is so much of this kind of artwork around that it isn't a big deal to get hold of such imagery. I assume that in most cases the musicians won't do the illustrations, photos or renderings for the artwork by themselfs anyway.

I mean, it is actually the same case with the actual design of the font thats been used and so on. Only a very few people ever started to make their very own font, nevertheless you can find hundreds and hundreds, even legally for free, on the internet...

Quote:
...does artwork still matter or is it just a cheap "nice wrap" avoiding an otherwise plain package.

To me personally artwork matters. It is a kind of "holistic" thing to me. Wouldn't it be just a bit inattentive to neglect this unique possiblity to emphasise the artistic intention? No matter if it goes along with the basic idea or if it uses the way of creating a strong contrast...

Quote:
If You don't need it, can I use that for one of my next releases, by the way...?
Here you are, just help yourself (I am afraid I already deleted the source file, it wasn't hi-res anyway... )
Just make sure that the music you will put under this artwork also has to fit to the basic concept... Wink

Last edited by bewoest on Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:59 am; edited 3 times in total

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2014 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2014 CBACK.de