EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Vangelis' Blade Runner--25th Anniversary

Tangram
Even more Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:13 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I totally agree with all of the above, excellent post Smile
HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
Tangram
Even more Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:44 am    Spotkanie Z Matka Reply with quoteBack to top

I've just decided to give this another listen. CD2 is still OK, but nowhere near as good as the original which has all the best bits. This CD clearly has all the bits considered not good enough for the original album.

But I mainly wanted to listen to CD3 has it had taken a bit of a hammering from you guys. I have to say this is a really good CD with the exception of two tracks. Track 10 Spotkanie Z Matka is Vangelis at his absolute best. This track is easily, IMO, the best piece of music I have heard from him for years. I would recommend giving it another listen if you've already decided to shelve it.

Soul Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:40 pm    Re: Spotkanie Z Matka Reply with quoteBack to top

« Tangram » wrote:
I've just decided to give this another listen. CD2 is still OK, but nowhere near as good as the original which has all the best bits. This CD clearly has all the bits considered not good enough for the original album.

But I mainly wanted to listen to CD3 has it had taken a bit of a hammering from you guys. I have to say this is a really good CD with the exception of two tracks. Track 10 Spotkanie Z Matka is Vangelis at his absolute best. This track is easily, IMO, the best piece of music I have heard from him for years. I would recommend giving it another listen if you've already decided to shelve it.

Some guys do need hammering. Mr. Green
I've played it a few times and it's my favourite of the latter. Embarassed

DeepR
Cool Member

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:46 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Desolation Path from disc 2 is a new Vangelis favorite here. Superb track.
OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
Bruce
Cool Member

canada.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:22 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I quite like the whole package. Just wish the spoken word bits on disc 3 weren't so loud or so long; they really detract from the music IMHO.
Joker
Cool Member

wales.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:07 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Well I must be in a minority here ! I love this CD set entirely - the Extra's on disc 2 are what ive been waiting for since the release of the first official CD was put out, but disc 3 - absolutely fantastic, a real return to the scene in atmospherics.

I'd almost lost faith in Vangelis releasing another 'great' cd after all the soundtrack and orchestral/choral releases, but htis has renewed faith.
I even took the chance on the new ElGreco CD and really liked that as well.

Soul Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:15 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Joker » wrote:
Well I must be in a minority here ! I love this CD set entirely - the Extra's on disc 2 are what ive been waiting for since the release of the first official CD was put out, but disc 3 - absolutely fantastic, a real return to the scene in atmospherics.

I'd almost lost faith in Vangelis releasing another 'great' cd after all the soundtrack and orchestral/choral releases, but htis has renewed faith.

Welcome to the minority. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy as for the others. Razz

sparrow
One of the Coolest Member

scotland.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:05 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Soul Hunter » wrote:
« Joker » wrote:

Welcome to the minority. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy as for the others. Razz

I totally agree. Also the new El Grecko cd is beautiful and is so moving in parts.

M@kz Delissen
Obscurist

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:44 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« M@kz Delissen » wrote:
I have a rather poor quality (downloaded Embarassed ) copy of what I think is the Esper Edition. I like that a lot, but I ordered the anniversary edition nonetheless...

If there is anyone here who can point me towards a better copy than the one I have now, or has an original copy of the Esper Edition who wishes to share can PM me if they want.

I finally managed to lay my hands on a good download version of The Esper Edition. As it turns out, all previous versions I have downloaded through the years calling themselves Esper Edition are fakes.

Oh, and before the anti-download lobbyists start sharpening their knives again: I have bought a copy of almost every album that Mr. Papathassiou released over the years, except the overly self-indulgent, commercial rubbish (this is my opinion, btw...) he made in the late 80's and 90's.

The 2nd CD of the new release of Blade Runner has music on it that didn't make it to The Esper Edition, so I suspect that most of it is "previously unreleased" aka "leftovers".

In some cases, leftovers are added to promote an album for the n'th time (a common practise on remasters), and when you listen to them, it becomes painfully obvious why these tracks didn't make it to the album in the first place.

Not so in the case of this anniversary edition. Vangelis was at an artistic peak when he did Blade Runner, and the leftovers are so good that it becomes clear how brilliant the original album is.

Anyway, I'm very glad that I finally found the best bootleg version of them all, and I will probably be playing it just as much as the official version.

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:19 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

like Max I also tracked down a high-quality of the Esper edition of BR about a month or so ago; The BR Esper version was never intended to be a commercial release as claryfied by the manufacturers of it, until the moment others outside their small group started to do so.
The music of it is amazing, and more than an extended edition of the original soundtrack. I haven't yet bought the 3-cd version of the BR soundtrack, but after having read the comments on it until now, I'm quite sure it won't be disappointing.

Joker
Cool Member

wales.gif

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:57 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« M@kz Delissen » wrote:
« M@kz Delissen » wrote:
I have a rather poor quality (downloaded Embarassed ) copy of what I think is the Esper Edition. I like that a lot, but I ordered the anniversary edition nonetheless...

If there is anyone here who can point me towards a better copy than the one I have now, or has an original copy of the Esper Edition who wishes to share can PM me if they want.

I finally managed to lay my hands on a good download version of The Esper Edition. As it turns out, all previous versions I have downloaded through the years calling themselves Esper Edition are fakes.

Oh, and before the anti-download lobbyists start sharpening their knives again: I have bought a copy of almost every album that Mr. Papathassiou released over the years, except the overly self-indulgent, commercial rubbish (this is my opinion, btw...) he made in the late 80's and 90's.

The 2nd CD of the new release of Blade Runner has music on it that didn't make it to The Esper Edition, so I suspect that most of it is "previously unreleased" aka "leftovers".

In some cases, leftovers are added to promote an album for the n'th time (a common practise on remasters), and when you listen to them, it becomes painfully obvious why these tracks didn't make it to the album in the first place.

Not so in the case of this anniversary edition. Vangelis was at an artistic peak when he did Blade Runner, and the leftovers are so good that it becomes clear how brilliant the original album is.

Anyway, I'm very glad that I finally found the best bootleg version of them all, and I will probably be playing it just as much as the official version.

Can anyone give a hint as to whre to get the download for the Esper edition Ive been after it for years, and with the last copy going on Ebay last month for over

Graham

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:08 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I like the 3 disk set, though it didn't totally win me over as I expected.

I went to see the Final Cut on the cinema at the beginning of December. Now, that did blow me away - never caught it on the cinema 1st time round. The cinema was virtually empty - it was almost like a personal screening.

I also picked up the HiDef DVD in the plastic suit-case. Cool

Only problem is, I chose HD-DVD. Embarassed

megatone
Cool Member

moldova.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:38 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I am very happy that I found on the 2nd CD tracks Deckard and Batty's Duel and Dr. Tyrell Dies. Too bad they didn't put the dub tracks from the scene in Taffy Lewis' bar.
On the 3rd CD I was particularly surprised by track Mail From India, it kind of reminded me of Damask Rose.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2014 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2014 CBACK.de