EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Vangelis' Blade Runner--25th Anniversary

Naus
One of the Coolest Member

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:30 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I have the album (25 euros is not much for 3 discs imo) and its absolutely brilliant, in my top 3 of 2007!

Also got my hands on the 5 DVD special anniversary movie set, a dream come true! Smile

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:09 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Any chance to compare the tracks on the official album to these on the Esper Edition? I

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
qwave
Waldorfian

germany.gif

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:28 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I received my tripple CD from the german Amazone a week before Christmas.
The first CD is just like the well known Soundtrack.
The second are left overs. And the third is new material in the mood of Blade Runner. But not my cup of tea.

So if there is a hardcore fan out there looking for this CDs, let me know. I am selling them used.

"Das Plagiat ist vielleicht die aufrichtigste Form der Verehrung." Alfred Polgar (1955)

dronescape

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:52 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

How much are you asking, Till Wink ?

Stephen

qwave
Waldorfian

germany.gif

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:37 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

The price I paid at amazon.de: 23,99 Euro
I will pay the postage to you.

First come, first served.

"Das Plagiat ist vielleicht die aufrichtigste Form der Verehrung." Alfred Polgar (1955)

ahem
Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:55 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

The third CD is the worst sounding coffee coaster ever created.
dronescape

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:01 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« ahem » wrote:

That

Tangram
Even more Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:01 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« ahem » wrote:

I actually thought there were some quite good bits on the third CD. Some of it isn't very good but some of it is different enough to be quite likeable.

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
Naus

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:02 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« ahem » wrote:

I absolutely disagree with this comment, it's ok to not like an album but to give it this classification is completely out of order
The top 40 is full of so much trash that doesn't even deserve to be pressed on a coffee coaster and which is nowhere near the quality of even a bad Vangelis album (like Oceanic). So to call this the worst ever is quite over the top.

Vangelis has proven (unlike his French collegue) that he can make contemporary electronic music without selling out, wilst maintaining the feel and atmosphere of the original BR music.

When I saw the list of voices on the album I was afraid that it would be too vocal but thankfully these have been interwoven quite subtle with the music.

It's a great disc for people who are a bit tired of the symphonic bombastic Vangelis and who like the old synth master. OK, it's not as good as the original BR music but it's a great addition to anyone's Vangelis collection.

Plus, besides this third disc you get the second disc with all the very nice extra bits from the movie! Smile

ahem
Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:50 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I am very sorry to say that those tracks I heard from disc 3 sounded like student/amateur drum and bass remixes built around BLADE RUNNER soundtrack samples. The type of low quality product made in a bedroom using free-download mixing/sampling software/plug ins. At best they sounded like bargain bin Ibiza chill out tracks from over ten years ago, built around the Blade Runner soundtrack.

About as great an addition as a hole in the head.

It wouldn't suprise me if disc 3 was commissioned three weeks before the CD box set release, when Vangelis was wondering how to foot the bill for his Mother in-law's new goldfish pond.

Feb birth
Even more Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:59 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

[quote="Naus"]
« ahem » wrote:
The top 40 is full of so much trash that doesn't even deserve to be pressed on a coffee coaster and which is nowhere near the quality of even a bad Vangelis album (like Oceanic). So to call this the worst ever is quite over the top.

I've heard a lot of music from Vangelis over the last 20 that was just as predictable and formulaic as most "pop music"

I give Vangelis respect for some of the special music he's produced over the years. I won't blanket that respect for everything he's done. When talking about individual albums, cds (pieces of work) someone's legend goes as far as their latest release.

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
M@kz Delissen
Obscurist

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:44 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« dronescape » wrote:
Any chance to compare the tracks on the official album to these on the Esper Edition? I
Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:45 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I really like the 2nd disk as it flows like a complete album in itself almost like a Namlook ambient album.
Apparently tho this still isn't the full soundtrack which I hear is only available on some dodgy Russian bootleg.

sparrow

scotland.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:16 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I also like disc two but disc three is a bit more difficult to get into. The original album remains the best IMO. I have seen one copy of the Russian bootleg but was put off by the ridiculous price the seller was asking.
M@kz Delissen
Obscurist

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:00 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Disc 2 is incredible, though there aren't many tracks on there that I already knew from the "unofficial" double album (aka The Esper Edition). I really miss tracks like "wounded animals". It has been too long since I saw the movie, so can anyone confirm that all tracks from the Esper edition and from disc 2 of this new edition are in the movie?

Disc 3 is quite good, afaIc. Not Vangelis' finest moment, but immeasurably better than what he has released over the last decade or so. In my book, it is definitely not "The type of low quality product made in a bedroom using free-download mixing/sampling software/plug ins. At best they sounded like bargain bin Ibiza chill out tracks from over ten years ago, built around the Blade Runner soundtrack."

Sure, there are some modern sounds on it, but let's not be a bunch of Analog/EM fundamentalists about that. Vangelis has always used a mixture of golden oldies and cutting edge newbies in his studio, and I know his work well enough to recognize that he put at least some effort in composing new music around BR themes. The use of well known movie samples is okay by me. It adds to the atmosphere.

Sound quality is very good, and I agree with Naus that it is a welcome addition to any serious Vangelis collection.

Some of you were very fast to disqualify this album, without even listening to it properly. Aren't we supposed to be better than that? Of course, any new release by Vangelis generates a lot of scepticism, and some of the reasons for that are quite obvious. But whipping an album before it has been released is just as unfair as declaring that it is a new masterpiece before you had the chance to give it some proper evaluation.

But that's just my 0,02 of any known currency's worth

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2014 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkil

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2014 CBACK.de