EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

John Carpenter THE MAN

smackos

nauru.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:18 am    John Carpenter THE MAN Reply with quoteBack to top

So there is no topic for John Carpenter yet though he is in the forum names to describe this sub/fora or whatever you call it...

Well here we go!

`
He is Hollywood's most renowned sci-fi/horror filmmaker. But director John Carpenter is also one of Hollywood's most talented film composers. The son of a Western Kentucky University music professor, he has composed the dramatic scores for sixteen of his nineteen previous film productions, often performing them as well on digital instruments.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Jon
One of the Coolest Member

norway.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:26 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Ennio Morricone scored The Thing...

I haven't heard that much of Carpenter's stuff, but I like his Escape From New York and Halloween scores.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
smackos

nauru.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:22 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I am pretty sure some part of the Thing soundtrack was made by John Carpenter, or they made some part together...there was something with it that it wasn't just Morricone.

smackos

nauru.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:45 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Maybe my favorite is not Assualt but the Halloween III soundtrack

http://www.theofficialjohncarpenter.com/pages/themusic/h3strk.html

The intro tune is so deep and haunting too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc-BQfvn6BM Youtube movie of the intro soundtrack

Synths he used on that album:

Prophet-10 w Poly Sequencer
Prophet-5 w Poly Sequencer
ARP Avatar (2)
ARP Sequencer
Sequential Circuits Programmer Mdl.700
Linn LM-1 Drum Computer eq.

Making the halloween III soundtrack with Alan Howard in the back

redphil

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:34 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

How to ruin a great piece of music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hw9a8GkMpyY

Seeker_UK
Even more Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:41 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YDp77erUD8
smackos

nauru.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:49 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

There are many versions of that Assault theme, some "covers" that spring in my mind:

Afrikaa Bambaata - Bambaata's theme
I.F. - assault on radikal radio
And there was a disco-version on ZYX records in the 80s which just said John Carpenter himself on the record...but I guess it was some german producer.

The Assault on precinct 13 soundtrack was re-released on the French Recordmakers label a few years ago (that also released Dopplereffekt)...actually I think that was the first ever proper official release of it?

corporation
Very Cool Member

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:28 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« smackos » wrote:
I am pretty sure some part of the Thing soundtrack was made by John Carpenter, or they made some part together...there was something with it that it wasn't just Morricone.

Both Morricone and Carpenter have said that Morricone composed the entire score - Carpenter wanted to work with him on a film. However, Carpenter mostly picked a few tracks for the film that sounded most like his own style, something Morricone was reported not too happy with. He explained that he went for the minimalistic electronic style because he wanted to reflect the desolation and isolation of the setting.

As for Assault, don't forget Shreeve's Assassin remix which is clearly strongly based on the main theme.

Jon

norway.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:44 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Sorry to pick on you smackos, but it's Alan HOWARTH. Smile

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
BillBinkelman
Very Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:37 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

My faves, in order, among his scores are:
Escape from New York
Bog Trouble in Little China
The Fog

I like the soundtrack to The Thing but, as noted above, Morricone composed it, although the opening theme (bum bum.......bum bum.....etc.) sounds like it could be Carpenter. The rest of it, though, sounds more like 20th century somewhat avant garde classical.

Howver, I couldn't dsagree more with the line "He is Hollywood's most renowned sci-fi/horror filmmaker..." He may HAVE BEEN this at one point, but now??? Some of his more later stuff is almost unwatchable...VAMPIRES, GHOSTS OF MARS, ESCAPE FROM L.A. (the abysmal sequel to Escape from NY), and his terrible remake of VILLAGE (a.k.a. Children) OF THE DAMNED.

BTW, I know I'm in the minority but I think HALLOWEEN is ridiculously over-rated. THE FOG is in, IMO, much scarier and more atmospheric. And the score is better too!

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
corporation
Very Cool Member

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:16 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« BillBinkelman » wrote:
Escape from New York
The Fog

Yeah, I also liked Bog Trouble... pretty scary when you get stuck in mud like that.

« BillBinkelman » wrote:
BTW, I know I'm in the minority but I think HALLOWEEN is ridiculously over-rated. THE FOG is in, IMO, much scarier and more atmospheric. And the score is better too!

Agreed there - crazy people running around with knives aren't as scary to me as supernatural or creature horror. I prefer my imagination to run away with what's "in the closet".

ahem
Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:24 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Must admit that I prefer the pre-Howarth stuff, with Dan Wyman overseeing the Moogs and whatnot.

I saw THEY LIVE recently and it just sounded like a typical late 80s Moroder song backing track, with howling 80s hair guitar and tinny DX7s.

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
Starwalker

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:02 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« BillBinkelman » wrote:
Escape from New York
The Fog

I like the soundtrack to The Thing but, as noted above, Morricone composed it, although the opening theme (bum bum.......bum bum.....etc.) sounds like it could be Carpenter. The rest of it, though, sounds more like 20th century somewhat avant garde classical.

Howver, I couldn't dsagree more with the line "He is Hollywood's most renowned sci-fi/horror filmmaker..." He may HAVE BEEN this at one point, but now??? Some of his more later stuff is almost unwatchable...VAMPIRES, GHOSTS OF MARS, ESCAPE FROM L.A. (the abysmal sequel to Escape from NY), and his terrible remake of VILLAGE (a.k.a. Children) OF THE DAMNED.

Bill , i agree on the Fog, however the remake is horrible. The original is the best version

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageAIM Address    
EricDraven

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:14 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

According to Carpenter, "The Thing was all Ennio's work EXCEPT for some incidental music that I scored myself because there wasn't enough quiet mood stuff that needed to be done." Quoted from "Order in the Universe- The Films of John Capenter". Some of Carpenter's score can be heard during some scenes such as when MacReady is trying to get back into the base after being locked outside by the other base members thinking he's been taken over by the alien organism.

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
corporation
Very Cool Member

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:44 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Hmmm, that's interesting. That's the only place I've seen him admit that, in other interviews he credits it all to Morricone and, when asked why it sounds like JC, he says Morricone was asked to do it that way. Doesn't surprise me, though!

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2014 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2014 CBACK.de