EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Ron Boots: From Tolkina to the second world

Phrozenlight
One of the Coolest Member

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:27 pm    Ron Boots: From Tolkina to the second world Reply with quoteBack to top

a nice review/interview by Artemia PUGACHEV Wink
on Musicbox
http://musicbox.su/info/1293.html

RON BOOTS: FROM TOLKINA TO THE SECOND WORLD

Copied from the Musicbox page after Babelfish translation
(http://babelfish.altavista.com/translate.dyn)

Text: Artemia PUGACHEV

Ron Boots is today, perhaps, one of the brightest figures in the world of electronic music. Founder of known label Groove Unlimited, which lets out a large quantity of qualitative production, Ron of football boots are considered the founder of the so-called eyndkhovenskoy school of electronic music. It combines in itself the rhythmical pulsations of Berlin school with the small share of symphony and melodic structures in the spirit of such artists as Jean- Michel zharr (Jean-Michel Jarre) and Vangelis (Vangelis). Ron of football boots very many-sided person and interesting collocutor. In the time of short interview we had time to discuss everything, beginning from the works Of tolkina and concluding World War II and science fiction. However, first of all the discussion dealt, naturally, with the music. But in this region Ron of football boots - real veteran. During entire history of its creation it let out more than 30 albums, beginning from the very first cassette "Linear Waves", published in 1987. For this person it was possible to consolidate Dutch electronic school, as a result of which it is today one of the noticeable in the world and includes such names, as turned sour Erts (Kees Aerts), Gert Of emmens (Gert Emmens), FREE SYSTEM PROJEKT, Eppi Of khyul'shof (Eppie Hulshof), PHROZENLIGHT, Erik van der Heyden (Eric Van Der Heijden), the ores Of khey (Ruud Heij), REMOTION, bass Of broykhius (Bas Broekhius) and many others. To make this was complex; however, the inexhaustible enthusiasm, which did not leave Butsa, also, to this day, love for its matter, striking perseverance and, certainly, the aid of friends they made their matter. Ron of football boots one of the organizers of solo concerts and yearly festivals of the electronic music e-live (been KLEMdag) and e-day. It participated in the activity of the Dutch club of the amateurs of electronic music (KLEM), published printed periodical "e-dition", dedicated to electronic music and, of course, together with the friend and the associate Keesom Ertsom made entire possible in order to raise status Groove Unlimited to status of one of most known in the world leyblov, dedicated to electronic music.

MUSIC BOX: Ron, I want first of all to pose to you the question, which is assigned to many taking place themselves and experienced musicians. After this quantity of relizov and so many years of work how it is simple for you to continue the searches for anything new in the music, to be occupied by creation?

RON BOOTS: This is in no way simple in reality. Hence perhaps the sufficiently insignificant number of albums, released after lately. I become ever more selective in the fact that I make, and in the fact that I be going to publish. As musician I always try to create anything new, to go by untraveled road, and in the course of time this became sufficient- after all difficult task, indeed I let out on CD more than hundred compositions. Naturally, to create new music completely actually, simply now this process began to occupy more than time. My family, to which I devote now more than free time, is also one of the reasons. Naturally, the family for me of its kind priority. Among other things, our leybl Groove Unlimited continues to be developed; therefore time became for us luxury. To me pleasure as before reaches to create music in its old, traditional style. 4 I will for sure soon let out new album. But that which earlier all this occupied less than the time, fact.

MB: Describe about your first musical experience. You anything did let out to that moment, as your 1st solo album "Linear Waves" did leave on the cassette? Are there any records of those years? How about the living appearances?

RB: Began 4 as soloists of school ensemble. To me then there were 15 years. To play 4 not at all it knew how, but it noticed, that the most beautiful girl friends were for some reason always in guitarists and soloists. Well it did think, why not to begin to sing? By this 4 it were occupied, it is possible to say, entire youth, and it began to create only its own music in 23 year. I was always the fan of progressive fate, such groups and executors as GENESIS, EMERSON, LAKE & PALMER, Mayk Of oldfild (Mike Oldfield), RUSH, SAGA and to them similar. In addition to this, I always appeared and am the worshipper of the creation Of vangelisa. Me it hooked since I heard its 1st official solo album "Earth". Well and then already in my life appeared Klaus of Schultze (Klaus Schulze) and TANGERINE DREAM.

MB: Exactly it wanted to ask you about the dear and exerted the greatest influence executors. It seems that partially we already obtained answer to this question.

RB: By the way, he forgot about Gendal'fe (Gandalf). To me greatly was pleased his appearance at festival e-day by this spring. Returning to my own experience in the music, I will say that for the first time I gave solo concert in 1988 at the very first yearly festival of the electronic music KLEMdag. But thus far in me was already the experience of living appearances. I have in the form its school group, with which we fulfilled the kaver- versions of popular music 1980- X, for example THE CURE, ECHO AND THE BUNNYMEN, THE SMITHS, but also GENESIS and so forth.

MB: Thus, the works, which had on your creation the greatest effect, this...?

RB: In the number of those loved: "Blue Nile" David sil'vian (David Sylvian), Vangelis, Mayk Of oldfild - first four albums, SAGA, GENESIS, STEELY DAN and so on. Complete list would be very volumetric, but separately it was desirable to note these precisely.

MB: Excellent music! I divide your love for progressivu.

RB: Honestly speaking, the majority of the music produced today as before pleases itself me. I have in the form not heavy metal, but something more melodious.

MB: But which is important for creating the electronic music from a technical point of view? Well, besides synthesizers, certainly?

RB: Yes all anything. Personally I use iron, and soft. Besides synthesizers, in the course go different effect- processors, percussion. I frequently use the services of the drummer of Harold van der Heyden (Harold Van der Heijden). Well certainly, sonic landscapes, my own field records. Until today the list of tools became simply immense. To me it transported, since because of the work in store hi-tech of electronics I have an access to all last developments in the region of electronic tools.

MB: With you it was brought to be the organizer of the enormous number of concerts and festivals of electronic music. What you can about this describe? How I understood, the last festival e-day was very successful.

RB: Yes, es-day actually passed on hurray. Attendance was grow prettier. Me greatly it pleases itself to organize similar measures. Living appearance on the scene this always something is special. Naturally, not each electronic composer is virtuoso executor; however, I is always glad to meet with all. Such measures are necessary for electronic scene. I am occupied by this already god news how many years and it is still filled with enthusiasm.

MB: But living performance is differed from performance in the studio?

RB: Yes, here even cannot be compared. In the studio you attempt to dostich' perfection - in any case, so I make with 4. At the same time performance vzhivuyu - this something soveyem another, something special. But energy, by which you are recharged from the audience during the performance! In this case it is unimportant, how many people they arrived on your concert. To me it had the occasion to play both for 30 visitors and for 12 thousands. Sensations nevertheless are the same. Specifically, adrenaline makes concert appearances special.

MB: You write on your site that on you they had an effect of J. r. r. tolkin's book. At the same time recently you let out album by the name "Acoustic Shadows", that causes in the imagination the means, connected with World War II. How you does succeed herself in combining in the creation such different themes?

RB: I love history, and, by the way, in "Acoustic Shadows" only one composition is dedicated concretely World War II, while other vdokhnovleny by the first world and War of Secession. After the album stands the thought about the fact that humanity knew numerous completely senseless battles and wars, in which the people actually were used as cannon fodder for achievement of strategic purposes. Practically never wars begin for the good matter; however, as a result war can prove to be justified.

MB: It is completely agreeable.

RB: War of Secession can serve as an example. Everything began from the fight of states for its rights; however, subsequently it developed into fight with the servitude, which, in the essence, as a result justified waging of war. The same can be said about World War II, in which it was they will throw down the destructive and dangerous Fascist regime. Therefore we today live in the free society. But about the First World War this you will not here say. Its reasons today seem petty and not justifying bloodshed. Actually the mestechkovaya quarrel between the reguluses and the emperors led to loss and destruction of many people.

MB: However, so that about Tolkina? By the way, you does please itself science fiction?

RB: Tolkina I love from the 6th class of the school (to me then it was 12 years). One instructor read its each day us. Greatly it pleased itself all, and I fell in love with its books. Science fiction I also love, just as to fentezi. I love the books of the jack Of vensa, Terri of Brooks and many others. However, in addition to this, me greatly it pleases itself to read the books on the history and to look historical documentary films. In the totality me several hundred books and DVD- disks have with the fantasy and the historical materials.

MB: Are there, on your view, connection between the electronic music and science fiction or outer space explorations?

RB: The simply possible this thematics corresponds to this music and vice versa. The same can be said, also, about much other. But I actually think that many amateurs of science fiction prefer electronic music, although there are those, who hate it and prefer to accompany reading the fantastic books by classical music.

MB: To me, for example, never pleased itself the idea of the use Of i. Strauss's waltz in "by space odisseye". Personally I would prefer something more beyond - for example electronic music.

RB: Yes really selection in favor of Strauss was uncommon. From classicists me pleases himself Shostakovic, for example. But already Wagner, Rossini and especially Beethoven. Here who was simple genius! But Mozart, Strauss or Bakh me never pleased themselves. Instead of Strauss the director could use any saturated and dramatic classical work, and this would sound considerably more preferably.

MB: I cannot but agree. My last question about the Dutch school of electronic music. The fact is that, takeing into account that huge labor, which you Keesom make within the framework of leybla Groove Unlimited, and a quantity of new names, which were appeared literally for the latter several years, Holland became the present smithy of electronic music. How you do count, why so he does occur? What even more local electronic scenes you it would be desirable to note separately?

RB: He forgot to say that my dear book Of tolkina "silmarilion". In the jack Of vensa to me most of all were pleased the "princes demons". But it is concerned Holland, I consider that in many respects we are obliged to active concert activity. Also the department of the club of the amateurs of electronic music (KLEM) served as base for the appearance of a large quantity of new names. Even today process does not stop, and the representatives of Dutch electronic school continue to sharpen their craftsmanship. In addition to this, me greatly commands the electronic scene of Great Britain. There works the large number of talented musicians, such as Mark shriv (Mark Shreeve), Jan Boddi (Ian Boddy) and CODE INDIGO. Is also in Great Britain very developed the network of independent leyblov. Still it would be desirable to especially note artists from THE USA. Their creation greatly pleases itself me, and this is wonderfully evident from the list of relizov of our own leybla. These are such names as Stiv Rouch (Steve Roach), floor Ellis (Paul Ellis), Dzheffri Kuiper (Jeffrey Koepper), Robert Rich (Robert Rich) and Craig Padilla (Craig Padilla).

MB: We will hope for further development.

RB: This would be healthily. I consider that the potential unquestionably exists. All the more now, when with the aid of the Internet became possible contact with an enormous quantity of people 0 0N throughout the world.

MB: That zh, I desire to you the creative successes and success in the advance of electronic music. We will await new relizov.

RB: They will unconditionally be.

DISKOGRAFIYA THE RHONE BUTSA:

"Linear Waves" (1987)
"Dream Weaver" (1987)
"New Dream" (1987)
"Wind In the Trees" (1988)
"Moments" (1988)
"Bookworks" (1989)
"Hydrythmix" (1989) (with bass By broykhiusom)
"Dreamscape" (1990)
"Offshore Islands" (1990) (with John Kerr)
"Ghost of A Mist" (1991)
"Different Stories and Twisted Tales" (1993)
"By Popular Demand" (1993) (with the friends)
"Detachment of Worldly Affairs" (1994)
"Backgrounds" (1994)
"Too Many Secrets" (1994)
"Cutting Branches" (1995)
"Schloss Burg" (1995) (with group DEMO ART)
"Screaming Whispers" (1996)
"Of Desolate Places & Urban Jungles" (1997)
"Current" (1997)
"Phase 3" (1997) (with Jan Boddi and Kharol'd van der by Heyden)
"Tainted Bare Skin" (1998)
"BAH! Live In sweden "(1998) (Keesom By ertsom By kharol'd van der by Heyden)
"e-live 98" (1998) (Keesom By ertsom By kharol'd van der by Heyden)
"Joie de Vivre" (1999) (with the friends)
"Close, But Not Touching" (2000)
"The 80'.s Box" (2000)
"Livelines" (2002) (Keesom By ertsom By kharol'd van der by Heyden)
"Liquid Structures In solid Form" (2002)
"Across the Silver River" (2003) (s ore down by Adrian)
"Area Movement" (2003)
"Fanta Magic 2005" (2005)
"Acoustic Shadows" (2005)

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
Ron

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:09 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Weird translation Smile Babelfish clearly makes it even for me hard to read what i said myself, but still nice to see this
OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
Artemi

russia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:27 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I'll upload the correct version soon. Smile

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Phrozenlight

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:30 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

it is indeed difficult, but reading Russian is more difficult, a least for me Wink

babelfish made some nice name translations Wink

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
Ron

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:34 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Yep it did indeed, thanks for putting it up though.
OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
Artemi

russia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:09 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

This is the correct version (only the interview itself, the article is only available in Russian but you can spot some familiar names there Wink)

- Let's start with a question that's been asked to many established and experienced musicians.After so many releases, do you still find it easy to be creativem to search for something new, music-wise?

- Actually no, that is why the last few years so so little releases, I am getting picky about what I want to release, ad as a musician I always want to search for new paths and that has become somewhat more difficult the last years, with over 100 tracks released on cd there is still place for new music but the process takes longer. One of the reasons is also that my famaly is taking up a bit more time and since that has a bit of an priority it consumes up time. Also Groove is still groing to so time is at a premium. I do like to make tracks in my old fashion so i guess a new cd will be out soon but forer it took less time

- Please, tell us about your earliest music experiences. Were there any releases prior to Linear Waves cassette? Any significant recordings from that era? Any performances?

- I started as a singer in a school band at 15. could not play an instrument and I noticed that the guitarist and the singers always had the nicest girlfriend so why not start singing. did this during my youth and at 23 I strated to make music on my own, I always was a fan of Progressive Rock (Genesis, ELP, Oldfield, Rush, Saga among others and a huge fan(still a by the way) of Vangelis. From his first solo album Earth I was hoocked, after that followed Schulze and Tangerinne Dream. And especially Gandalf (loved o have him performed on E-day this year). Firs solo performance was on the first KLEMDAG 1988. But played over 100 gigs with the Schoolband where we played 80 music like Cure, Echo and the Bunny men, Smiths, also Genesis etc.

- Oh, yes. Progrock is great. So your biggest influences are...?

- Favoroutes: Blue nile - David Sylvian - Vangelis - Oldfield (first 4 albums) - Saga - Genesis - Steely Dan etc etc. the list is long but these are still my favorites

- Great choices! I share your love for the Prog Rock, by the way. Smile

- I still love most of todays releases to ew honest, not thew heavy metal rock stuff but the real melodic stuff is still favorite

- I see. What other instruments or production tolls are important for EM, apart from synths?

- Any, I use hardware synths software synths, efects percussion, Harold my drummer, Soundscapes (own outside recordings) etc. Now a days the list is long and I have some great tools, one of the benefits of working in a Hightech music shop

- You have organized quite a few concerts and EM festivals. How would you describe the experience? Seems like the last one (E-Day) was a success..

- E-Day was nice an we had a good turnoout, I love to rginaze these events. It gives some thing special to hear good EM musicians play. Although there are only a few who are reaaly good its always nice to meet and greet all, and I think the scene doesneed this, I have been donig this now for 0 !! years and still cant get enough of it.

- Do you feel that playing live and in the studio are completely different experiences?

- Yes you can't compare these. In the studio it has to e perfect (IMHO) but live gives a nice edge. And the energy you get from the audience is second to none. It does not mattrer how many ublic there is I played for 30 peope and for 12.000 but the feeling is the same, The adreneline makes it fantastic.

- On your website you state that you are influenced by Tolkien's books. At the same time, there's an album like Acosutic Shadows that's a very WWII-like experience. How do you manage to combine such diverse influences?

- I love history and Acoustic Shadows only has 1 song from WW2 but many others from WW1 and the American Civil war. The point I wanted to make with Acoustic is te fact that there are somany useless battles and war fought in this world and you men are used as cattle to feed to the guns. Wars can never be started with a good purpose put the can end with a good one. The American civil war for instance started over states rights but it bcaume a war abpout ending slavery which gives it a good couarse in the end. Same goes for the WW2 where a very distructive and evil regime was defeated and made sure we are still free today!! Where as the first war has no significant reason what so ever. Just a family fute between kings and emperos leading to death and distrucion.

- Ok. And what about Tolkien? By the way, do you like science fiction?

- I like Tolkien since the 6th grade (12 years old) A teatcher from school read out of it each day that is how we got hoocked And I love sifi and Fantasy. Jack Vance - Terry Brooks - and so many others. But I also like real history books and documantaries. I have a few 100 books and DVD about them (sifi and History)

- Do you think there's a relation between EM and sci-fi or space exploration?

- Perhaps the music fits the theme and the theme fits the music but that ca be said of many things. I do think a lot of SIFI readers also like EM, but I also know a lotwho hate it and prrefer classical music with there reading.

- That I always found strange. Me, I could never get into that Strauss waltz in 2000, A Space Odyssey. Something otherworldly would fit better, IMO. Like EM, for instance. Smile

- Yep Strauss was strange but I like Shostakovich for instance, and also Wagner, Rossini, and most and for all Beethoven. That man was a genius!! Never like Mozart Strauss or Bach though. I think a nice heavy classical piece would also have fitted better then Straus

- I fully agree with you! The last question is about the Dutch scene. With all your work at Groove with Kees, and all the many artists coming up during the last years, Holland has become a true hotbed for EM. Why do you think this happens and what other places of the world would you distinguish in relation to EM?

- By the way my favorite Tolkien book is the Silmarilion, And from Jack Vance The Devils princes.

- I hope they put a film to it one day.

- So what about the Ducth scene?

- I think because of the lively live scene and KLEM Holland has been a birth ground for many new EM artists. And even today new guys are getting better and better. I also like the UK scene. It has some great artisits like Mark Shreeve, Ian Boddy and Code Indigo. Also a strong independet label country. I also like amny US artists, (as can been seen on the release list from Groove) with the like of Steve Roach, Paul Ellis Jeffrey Koepper Robert Rich and Craig Padilla.

- Let's hope it only gets better and better.

- That would be great, I think there s still a good scene fr EM and now through the internet you ca still reach a lot of people. We have some nice things planned for the future to reach people.

- I wish you a lot of creative juice and lots of success in this endeavor. Let's hear something from you in the near future. Thanks for this wonderful interview, Ron!

- Done with pleasure

Smile

Artemi

russia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:36 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

One thing to add is that Music Box is a Russian printed magazine about Prog Rock, New Wave, Alternative and other musics.

Sonic Steve
Cool Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:45 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Nice job, very interesting. Very Happy

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailMSN Messenger    
Starwalker

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:36 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Interesting interview, good job Artemi

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
Artemi

russia.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:58 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Smile thnx

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2021 CBACK.de