EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Señor Coconut vs. Kraftwerk

phaedra2008
One of the Coolest Member

australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:03 am    Señor Coconut vs. Kraftwerk Reply with quoteBack to top

Normally I do not appreciate “modern music”cover songs/albums/acts but on rare occasions some do offer something fresh like this Señor Coconut Kraftwerk covers from y2k.

Señor Coconut Y Su Conjunto is the fictitious act of Uwe Schmidt who moved to Santiago/Chile and came up with the idea of using his music boxes hardware to arrange tracks in a new electrolatino style.

This album is always a hit with “normal” friends aware of my preferences for the darker side of music with Showroom dummies the most popular (and best) track included on many Lounge/Chill compilations.

The trivia about this release is that Radioactivity is present only on the (rare) 1st edition because Karftwerk objected to the arrangement & the track was removed/replaced by a short Intro.

In 2007 the CD was reissued with 5 bonus tracks unique to Japan followed in 2008 by an International release with only 3 bonus tracks, however, despite all the reissues Radioactivity never made it back on record.

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:05 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I reviewed this album for the mag I was writing for back in the 1990s, and I even conducted an interview with Uwe Schmidt aka AtomHeart for this magazine.

I at first thought this idea was hilarious but it couldn't stand repeated listening. Amazing production, though, just an Akai MPC-60, a couple of outboard effects, plus some early laptop stuff (this was 1998 or so).

I think I still have the promotional cassette (!!!) lying around somewhere.

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:15 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Smile sure, I couldn't listen to this often either but 2-3 times/year as background to a barbecue works ok.

Did Uwe elaborate about the Radioactivity objection?
From what I read the issue came up & got sorted before the release yet somehow it ended up on the Japanese CD only.
I must say the track is very ordinary and stretched too long but not out of place on the album, so why the objection to a single track when there are a few more dodgy ones...

Timanfaya
Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:46 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

In this interview Uwe says:
Quote:
Kraftwerk didn't like the light-hearted mood of my version, so I agreed to not put it on any of the following releases.
I asked Florian how he would have reacted if a real band from Columbia had actually recorded their own cumbia version of "Radioactivity" in this way. Are they not allowed to do that? Isn't that a certain kind of censorship? Aren't Latinos allowed to cover serious German pop songs? Honestly, I think it bothered his colleagues from Kraftwerk more than it bothered him. They were probably thinking about their own history and the whole historical context of the song in the 1970s and '80s, and they wanted to be politically correct rather than change the context.

phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:53 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Makes sense, thanks for the info.

dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:08 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« phaedra2008 » wrote:
[...] Did Uwe elaborate about the Radioactivity objection? [...]

No he didn't. This was before Radio Activity got scrapped -- I think there even wasn't a finalized CD when I conducted the interview with him.

Come to think of it, I was put in touch with him through Pete Namlook -- I called him in his office and was put through to Uwe...

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:32 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Cheers, this makes sense too Laughing

Alvaro

spain.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:50 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I listened to it some years ago and found it hilariuos too.

And if this album was done only with an Akai MPC-60, it's a great production job.

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2016 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2017 CBACK.de